Sign in to follow this  
nrcapes

Copilot won't change altitude

I have RC4 using standard FS9 Embraer 170 with AP on, ALT and NAV set. Copilot has comms and is flying. Center gives altitude changes. Otto responds but doesn't change altitude. Windows 7 64-bit, FS2004 with SP1.

Is that the Feelthere EMB-170? If so I am not sure the AP is standard for RC copilot control. I have not flown it but have it and aquick read of the manual influences me to say with all of those interlocked modes I don't think the RC copilot can handle the AP.Someone else who has it might contribute to this thread.

Is that the Feelthere EMB-170? If so I am not sure the AP is standard for RC copilot control. I have not flown it but have it and aquick read of the manual influences me to say with all of those interlocked modes I don't think the RC copilot can handle the AP.Someone else who has it might contribute to this thread.
Not sure. Just the standard off-the-shelf fs2004 Embraer.

Not sure. Just the standard off-the-shelf fs2004 Embraer.
does the plane come from MS?jd

And not VNAV which locks it to the FMC altitude. If it can it should control ALT however the panel if the Feelthere model has a FLCHG control as one of the modes to activate the change. Doesn't look like a standard AP.

I believe that the AP needs the HDG selected, not NAV.

does the plane come from MS?jd
No. But Otto just started flying the plane. Don't know what changed.thanks!

From the RC manual;"The default key combination to make the copilot fly the plane is CS-M. Remember that the autopilot has to be engaged and slaved to both heading and altitude. Otherwise, the copilot will not be able to fly. If the plane does not have the MS autopilot capability, the RC co-pilot will not be able to take the plane."For other restrictions see page 129 and 130.

I have had the same problem flying the MS CRJ-700, only Otto will sometimes change altitude and sometimes he won't. Sent JD a log several days ago but haven't heard from him yet. Hopefully, this can be fixed. Alan

Alan,The majority of my aircraft In my hangar don't respond to the csm command. The way I get around it is during the flight setup I load the flight plan in MS. I have ms ATC turned off. Start up RC after putting the aircraft at the gate. Take off and fly your departure procedures. Hopefully all your panels have the Nav/gps switch. I installed it on all my panels. Switch it to nav so the aircraft will follow the gps route which will be the same as Otto will fly until approach. You will just have to do the climb and decent. The only real problem I've had with this is if you do csm on the acs md-11 panel then Otto screws around with the approach land button but won't fly the glide path and puts you into the ground when the glideslope becomes active.

Remember that once you are in approach airspace Otto gives the controls back to you.

Hello,I've been using RC4 for a couple of years now and I've never tried OTTO. How does this OTTO handle the throttles on descent? Can I assume that there must be an auto throttle available and it must be enabled? A few of the planes I fly do have auto throttle so I guess I will RTFM and give it a whirl.

pages 129 and 130 in the RC43 manual. On 130 it states Otto will not control speed. Generally Otto will hand controls back to you at as approach nears. Just engage in your auto throttle setting the speed you require and it should adjust power for the pitch and any other drag Otto brings into the picture. In MS for most aircraft, autothrottle is not a function of the A/P but just uses pitch for climb or descent at the entered V/S if available without adjusting speed via power. The autothrottle is independent though the AP might have to be enabled. Speed is not a flight director function, just altitude (with pitch control usually via trim adjustments) and yaw control. Since Otto is limited to AP functions that is why he does not adjust power. To summarize the A/P and Otto control pitch and yaw, and the independent autothrottle controls the power needed for the set airspeed.