Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy_Pete

High Amps

G'day everyone.Like most PMDG customers, I'm really enjoying the J41. A very challenging aircraft that is beautifully made. I'm nowhere near mastering it yet. Time will tell. I have stopped taking "passengers" for now though, as I can't handle the screaming coming from the cabin, it's very distracting ... "we are all going to die!!" ... what a bunch of wooses! :-)Apart from the known "bugs", one thing that does not "seem right" on my system is this, and I cannot find a reference to it on the PMDG forums :After engines start, my J41 amps are "stuck" : Left = 100, Right = 150They increase after turning Avionics Master on : Left = 190, Right = 240The Source Ref. says :Tutorial : Page 63 " verifying that the battery charge does not exceed 45 amps "AOM : Chapter 3 - Limitations (page 37) [Ch031:20]Electrics and Lights A: Battery 2. The charging current to each battery must be less than 45 amps before takeoff.Is there something I am not understanding about the charging system? or is this a "bug" in my setup?It does not seem to interfere with the tutorial flight in any way, as I can complete that without system problems. Just would be nice to sort it if possible.My System Specs : Win7Pro32Bit System / Q6600 @ 3Ghz / 4Gb DDR2 / GF9600GT512 / 2x320Gb HDD RAID0.PMDG J41 with SP1.Cheers from "Down Under".Pete (Peter Edrupt)

You are reading the amperage draw from the Starter/Generator's NOT the battery charging current. This charging current would of course be included within the 100/200 or so amps you are seeing being drawn from the S/G's. What you are seeing is in addition to the charging current being drawn from the S/G to the batteries, you are also seeing the draw all the aircraft's systems through the respective S/G Electrical Bus as well. So the 240 amps is the avionics, radio's, cabin stuff..etc.On the overhead panel, under the DC Control area, you're are looting the the Volt/Amp monitoring thinger there. Change the rotary switch to show BAT volt/amperage.Never really looked at it when flying in FSX, but you should see a value as the aircraft is powered exclusively by battery power, and another value (the less that 45 Amps you are looking for) after engine start with Starter/Generator's online. As the battery reaches full capacity, the battery charging current will reach zero, and you should see less draw from your Gens later on...I don't believe this is modelled on the PMDG J41.So in simple terms...don't worry! Nothing's wrong!Patrick H

Thanks for your reply Patrick.Your explanation makes sense to me now. Before engines start I get a draw of 14 amps from the batteries, and then back to a zero reading after the engines settle - this is under the AMPS section when BATT is selected on the rotary switch, so it looks like I don't need to put the J41 in for a service after all. :( Happy flying mate ... :(

No worries!Thanks for pointing out you do see some draw with the BATT indication selected, neat seeing that modelled!Patrick H