Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

WideFS over internet via TCP/IP?

I've got a work computer that is connected to the internet on a T3 line. I'd like to use it to run applications like a popular weather utility addon to offload some CPU overhead from my FS pc. The simulator PC is my home box, which connects to the 'net by dialup to the modem pool of the work PC's LAN - so the connection is pretty reliable and no hops at all. My question is this: Will performance of that connection be worth the effort of setting it up, using wideFS to connect the two or is that pointless?

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Wow!! I don't know if it is worth setting up or not. I just keep thinking of the hazards of having the office and home computer tied together and what might be lurking on the internet to infect both computers.I use WideFS on several LANed computer in my house. I use IPX/SPX vice TCP/IP on the internal size of the lan.W. Sieffert

I'm not sure how good it would work in your situation, but I think the hard part is figuring out how to either resolve the name of your home computer, or get its IP address. If you can ping your home computer from the work one, you should be OK (assuming the firewall is set up appropriately).scott s..

Oh yeah - i see what you're saying. That's an issue because work would be client, not server. Gotta think about that one.Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)