Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lindy

Difference between GF2 MX400 64mb and FX 5200 128mb ???...

Guest BAW843

Dear All,Will I notice much of an FPS / image improvement in FS9 between my current graphics card Geforce 2 MX400 64mb and if I upgrade to a nvidea FX 5200 128 mb card ?Currently I am getting around 6-12 using FS9 and PMDG 737 in most scenery areas, with various cloud fixes from FSW.Any suggestions would be much appreciativeThanksPhilmy spec:-P4 1.5 ghz 128 Rambus RDRAMGeforce 2 MX400 64 mb20 gb HD

The main bottle neck here seems to be the CPU and RAM . The FX 5200 is not a card I would recommend for FS. If you only want a mid level cardI would suggest a Radeom 9600XT 128MB. It's about the same price as the FX5200 and you get more bang for the buck.In the long run the video card will only do so much. I think the better upgrade would be the CPU and ram. You atleast want 512MB . You can almost always find the best deals on pricewatch.com or newegg.com richard_dillon I had to re-register my account :(

Guest odog

Im a big fan of my 5200fx Ultra. I get 20+ steady on my 1.75Ghz AMD.for the price you just cant beat it IMO.When I first upgraded from my onboard video, got me 20+ in 2k2, it really blew my socks off visually. It was like a whole new game.CFS3 would barely run, after my FR's were 30+BF1942 same story, nice and smooth now.i gave 80$ for mine, if you want to spend more, you'll get more.so is lifejoe

Guest Lindy

I don't believe you'll notice much FR improvement with a new video card. If it's higher frame rates you want, your best bet is a faster CPU or CPU/RAM upgrade. I tried the plain FX5200 card; didn't think it was worth the price. Replaced it with a plain FX5600 256 mg DDR RAM card. Was only slightly more satisfied. Finally switched to an FX5700 Ultra 128mg DDR2 RAM and am much happier with it. No FR increase, but better image quality and smoother performance.If all you can afford right now is a video card upgrade and you want to stick with an nVidia card, you might want to go for an Ultra version.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave My specs:P4, 2.4G; Win98SE w/512mg RAM; FX5700 Ultra video card; FS2002