Sign in to follow this  
Akila

Scenery.cfg difference question

Hi there, I was wondering as part of trying to troubleshoot some Addons that are index Scenery for functionality (e.g. VoxATC and others I got).about the Scenery.cfg file.I had noticed I got two copies of the file(s) but yet they are not Identical in size or Information within the file.one file is located at the FSX Installation Directory and the other is located in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" folder.my question splits into two.1) what are the difference between them both and why do I need them both, aren't one is enough?2) which one supersedes the other and which of the scenery configuration files are the one that are used for configuring scenery in FSX which is most up to date? and which onethe 3rd party application that needs to read the file for proper action would use?

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Guest firehawk44
Hi there, I was wondering as part of trying to troubleshoot some Addons that are index Scenery for functionality (e.g. VoxATC and others I got).about the Scenery.cfg file.I had noticed I got two copies of the file(s) but yet they are not Identical in size or Information within the file.one file is located at the FSX Installation Directory and the other is located in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" folder.my question splits into two.1) what are the difference between them both and why do I need them both, aren't one is enough?2) which one supersedes the other and which of the scenery configuration files are the one that are used for configuring scenery in FSX which is most up to date? and which onethe 3rd party application that needs to read the file for proper action would use?
The one in the Program Data folder is the working one so that's the one you can edit and configure. Never ever delete or modify the one in the FSX folder.Best regards,Jim

The one in the Program Data folder is the working one so that's the one you can edit and configure. Never ever delete or modify the one in the FSX folder.Best regards,Jim
so what's the purpose of the Scenery.cfg in the FSX folder?I am asking since I do see some but not all of my addons in that file as well, so it's obviously not just a default one.

Joel Strikovsky

so what's the purpose of the Scenery.cfg in the FSX folder?I am asking since I do see some but not all of my addons in that file as well, so it's obviously not just a default one.
FSX\scenery.cfg is the default/BACKUP. and there should not have been any alteration to it. My original deluxe scenery.cfg was last 'changed' 9/9/06 (115 entries) and the scenery.cfg in Acceleration was last 'changed' 8/22/07 (120 entries). If some application has changed it in your installation, shame on them!You will only need it if the active one becomes irretrievably corrupted and you have to start over.PS: the install disk has a copy. Repair will also restore it.Oh, BTW, there is also a backup cameras.cfg and a backup standard.xml in the FSX install folder.Loyd

FSX\scenery.cfg is the default/BACKUP. and there should not have been any alteration to it. My original deluxe scenery.cfg was last 'changed' 9/9/06 (115 entries) and the scenery.cfg in Acceleration was last 'changed' 8/22/07 (120 entries). If some application has changed it in your installation, shame on them!You will only need it if the active one becomes irretrievably corrupted and you have to start over.PS: the install disk has a copy. Repair will also restore it.Oh, BTW, there is also a backup cameras.cfg and a backup standard.xml in the FSX install folder.Loyd
nice to know, thanks for the info.but what damage could happen if I just make a copy of the scenery.cfg file from the ProgramData to the FSX folder?at the end of the day the scenery file in the ProgramData contains all the FSX default/original info as well as others.so it's not like I am loosing something, it's just that I am adding more info to the FSX file, or garbage that FSX doesn't have to use if it doesn't wish to.

Joel Strikovsky