Sign in to follow this  
Ralph33

Landing

Hi: I am using fs9. Trying to land a 737-200 with ILS. I am short of the runway many times.For exampile I am trying to land at CYQM on runway 06 with an Ils approach. Everything goes very well. I line up perfectly and the ap brings me lined up with 06 and the decent is very good. The problem is that I am short of the runway.The elevation there is about 200 feet. Do I have to consider that to make approach at the correct altitude? I was at 2500 feet at the time of approach. What is the correct altitude at intercept of the Ils?Could someone explain this to me?Thanks Ralph

for altitude, whatever the approaxh plate says to intercept that it the indicated altitude you have to intercept.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I wonder if your problem is concentrating on the threshold / "piano keys"? You have to look down the runway about where the PAPI/VASI and the aiming bar are located and then transfer to the far end of the runway.At least that's my non-pilot understanding.scott s..

Hi Ralph,Are you using any add-on scenery for the airport ? If so, maybe some settings for the ILS are incorrect. If not, it has to be with the way your aircraft is communicating with the simulator. As you said, your approach is perfect and you can intercept the localiser at 2500 ft AGL and that brings you down at a comfortable descent rate. However, your aircraft might not be equipped with 'autoland'. So I'd say you should turn off the autopilot at around 300 ft AGL (usually depending on procedures) and control the aircraft accordingly to make it to the 'touchdown zone'.Cheers,Karan

Hi Ralph.I go along with what Karan says and suspect an addon problem. Try the same approach in the stock C172 (yeah, I know, back to basics). Fly the approach by hand, with the Nav 1 tuned to the appropriate ILS frequency. Keep an eye on the Nav 1 crosshairs as you make the manual (visual) approach to see if the ILS beacon is actually aligned correctly in the vertical as well as horizontal direction.If the crosshairs drift a long way off as you make the correct manual approach then the ILS and the runway are mismatched.Regards,D

What is your airspeed as you touch down? In the default 737-400, I find that landing at 140 kts brings me in short, while landing at 150 kts is fine. Also, if you're on a very short flight starting with full fuel tanks, your plane is going to be heavier and again will need more airspeed on the approach.

Follow the ILS glide-path until about 200'agl, then go visual and you should be aiming at the touchdown markings, (or approx 1000' in from the threshold).If you're aiming short or at the threshold, then the glide-path is positioned incorrectly. You could use afcad or ADE9x to reposition it to the correct position in the AF2_ file.If you approach too fast, your rate of descent will be too high, it should be about 750-800fpm for a 3° GP.If you approach too slowly while maintaining the glide-path, you will risk stalling.If you are flying an FMC equipped a/c, it will give you the correct Vref or Vat for the weight. Just add your wind correction for the approach speed.If you are flying the ILS GP and landing short, it must be incorrectly positioned.Colin B

Follow the ILS glide-path until about 200'agl, then go visual and you should be aiming at the touchdown markings, (or approx 1000' in from the threshold).
I believe you hit on what is probably happening. To the OP. Are you leaving autopilot/app hold on all the way down to the runway? If you are, you must understand most aircraft are flown on the ILS down to certain minimums (200+ ft, 100ft, 50ft depending on the aircraft's certification...), and then visually landed by the pilot. In other words, autopilot is turned off at minimums and the aircraft is hand flown (Only with the runway environment in sight). It's hard to give a crash course on instrument procedures, especially approach procedures. Until you can read an approach plate and understand how they are flown, try an intercept altitude of 1,800' AGL unless terrain or obstructions don't allow.Many aircraft in the real world are certified to do "autolands", but the majority are not. Even less Flight Simulator aircraft can perform an autoland. The best ones I've seen so far is the Ifly 737 and Level-D 767.If none of the above is the case, well I'm sorry. :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I believe you hit on what is probably happening. To the OP. Are you leaving autopilot/app hold on all the way down to the runway? If you are, you must understand most aircraft are flown on the ILS down to certain minimums (200+ ft, 100ft, 50ft depending on the aircraft's certification...), and then visually landed by the pilot. In other words, autopilot is turned off at minimums and the aircraft is hand flown (Only with the runway environment in sight). It's hard to give a crash course on instrument procedures, especially approach procedures. Until you can read an approach plate and understand how they are flown, try an intercept altitude of 1,800' AGL unless terrain or obstructions don't allow.Many aircraft in the real world are certified to do "autolands", but the majority are not. Even less Flight Simulator aircraft can perform an autoland. The best ones I've seen so far is the Ifly 737 and Level-D 767.If none of the above is the case, well I'm sorry. :(
I don't think this is the problem. With the default 737, at least if you have crash and landing gear failure off, it will "land" in APP mode.From my investigations, glideslopes in FS are set at 3 degrees and as the aircraft crosses the threshold the aircraft ref point will be about 60 feet above the threshold if the glideslope indicator is centered. The height of the main gear of course will vary with the aircraft size, but I don't think it will ever touch down short of the runway, at least not where a default airport background is used.scott s..

I don't think this is the problem. With the default 737, at least if you have crash and landing gear failure off, it will "land" in APP mode.From my investigations, glideslopes in FS are set at 3 degrees and as the aircraft crosses the threshold the aircraft ref point will be about 60 feet above the threshold if the glideslope indicator is centered. The height of the main gear of course will vary with the aircraft size, but I don't think it will ever touch down short of the runway, at least not where a default airport background is used.scott s..
Fair enough! I've honestly never let a "non-autoland" autopilot bring the aircraft to the ground.On the other hand, the fact remains one should hand fly past minimums.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

RalphThere is nothing wrong with the ILS using the default scenery and afcad at Moncton. I did an autoland using LevelD B767, and it was on LOC and GP all the way down.The aiming point was correct( at the large white rectangles just beyond the runway intersection) and it touched down just beyond as is normal with an autoland.It must be your technique or the default B737 can't do it. Try using a different a/c, even 1 of the little Cessnas.I've tried to attach a screenshot taken at 200' agl, to show it.Colin B