Sign in to follow this  
DannyR

Trackir on client computer

Anyone figured out how to setup Trackir 4/5 to run on a client computer? It uses simconnect to communicate with FSX, so it would seem possible. It would be really nice to run Trackir on a client to recoup the frame-rate hit from running it on the FSX computer.I contacted NaturalPoint to see if they had a solution. They indicated no one had asked about this configuration before and wanted feedback if I got it to work.I have tried putting a simconnect.cfg file into the Trackir folder on the client and modifying the simconnect.xml on the FSX computer, setting up a port thru the firewalls of both computer. No joy though. I am using Plan-G on my client it works fine. I also use widefs to run TS3 on my client and it works ok as well.Any ideas would be welcome.

Danny

TIR punishing FPS is probably the panning itself making demands on your cpu/gpu, not the TIR-program itself. But, go ahead and see if you spot a difference, would be very interesting to know.Your RAM seem to be on the slow side, could also be your bottle neck.Bjorn

I'd be very glad if you would report the outcome of your idea. I have TIR5 and use a laptop for PlanG and some instrumentation, and I'd be very glad to get TIR over on to the laptop. I'll have a go myself and let you how it goes.

I've never tried this, so I don't know if you'll get it working, and if you do, whether or not it will be an improvement. So I'm very curious about your results should you get it working. One thing I can think to suggest (though I have no idea if it would make any difference or not at all), is try putting the simconnect.xml file on the client pc into the 'my documents' (or 'documents') folder. I know that this is supposed to work with the Saitek panels (though I have not yet tried it myself), so it's a shot in the dark, but maybe that could get it working. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your results should you get it working over the network. Source:http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=18063Good luck!-George

George, that link doesn't work for me, it asks for a username/password, but when I try to register the forum confirms that registration has been disabled by the administrator. What gives over there?Thanks,

Danny,Have you actually installed SimConnect on the client computer? To do this you need to use the SDKs for FSX(3 of them). Just adding the files is not good enough. Once you do this, we can test the connection between the client computer and FSX by using a utility. Finally, then you can try TrackIR.Post back here with specific questions about S.C.

Danny,Have you actually installed SimConnect on the client computer? To do this you need to use the SDKs for FSX(3 of them). Just adding the files is not good enough. Once you do this, we can test the connection between the client computer and FSX by using a utility. Finally, then you can try TrackIR.Post back here with specific questions about S.C.
Yes, I have simconnect installed and working on the client. I have been using Plan-G and FSINN on the client for some time with no problems. I have Trackir installed on both the client and the FSX computer. Of course, Trackir (installed on the FSX computer) work just fine. When I run Trackir on the client it detects the Trackir sensor, but, will not detect the presence of FSX on the FSX computer when I start FSX. I have placed a copy of the simconnect.cfg into the Trackir folder and configured it as:[simConnect.3]Protocol=Ipv4Address=192.168.1.3Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0And, setup the simconnect.xml:<Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> <Address>192.168.1.3</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm>However, Trackir on the client will not recognize when FSX starts on the FSX computer.Any suggests????Danny

Danny

Hi,The SimConnect.cfg file goes into your My Documents folder and you only place one file there.

Thanks Jim for the information. I moved it to the "My Documents" folder and Trackir still will not recognize when FSX is running on the FSX computer. After some research last night I found that FaceTrackNoIR is capable of working in a client/server configuration. I downloaded it to see how they have it configured. Perhaps that will help. If not, depending on how well FaceTrackNoIR works, I might use it instead of Trackir.Danny

Danny

Yes, I have simconnect installed and working on the client. I have been using Plan-G and FSINN on the client for some time with no problems. I have Trackir installed on both the client and the FSX computer. Of course, Trackir (installed on the FSX computer) work just fine. When I run Trackir on the client it detects the Trackir sensor, but, will not detect the presence of FSX on the FSX computer when I start FSX. I have placed a copy of the simconnect.cfg into the Trackir folder and configured it as:[simConnect.3]Protocol=Ipv4Address=192.168.1.3Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0And, setup the simconnect.xml:<Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> <Address>192.168.1.3</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm>However, Trackir on the client will not recognize when FSX starts on the FSX computer.Any suggests????Danny
Hey Danny Im just curious but why is there a # 3 in your simconnect cfg? mine looks like this[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=192.168.10.20Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0Also in your xml file the scope entry, yours says local mine says global<Scope>global</Scope>not sure if any of this matters, good luck.

Hey Danny Im just curious but why is there a # 3 in your simconnect cfg? mine looks like this[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=192.168.10.20Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0Also in your xml file the scope entry, yours says local mine says global<Scope>global</Scope>not sure if any of this matters, good luck.
Thanks for the comments. The 3 is just left over from the original sample simconnect file. All of my sections in simconnect.cfg have a number in the [simconnect#] section header.I tried FaceTrackerNoir. I got it to work on the pc with FSX install, but could not make it work in a server/client configuration. I have fiddled around iwth Trackir and still have had no luck getting it to work remote from the FSX pc. Oh well, it was worth a try.Now, back to flying.Danny

Danny

The CPU load from TrackIR is negligable, it hardy worth bothering, load is similar to pressing the spacebar on the keyboard and then using the mouse to look around. If you have a multicore CPU then there is zero point in using it on a client PC.

Cheers, Andy.

Very interesting topic !TrackIR is very demanding on RAM, TrackIR 4 uses more than 70 MB, and TrackIR 5 still more than 50MB, the load of about 15 to 20 processes.If you stop using trackIR in FSX, you see immediatly the results in the FPS, just open the taskmanager/Processus and you will see trackIR in second position below FSX. TrackIR has about the same demand as FSCommander....But if your computer is abble to follow, then it's a wonderful program to use with FSX. That's why I totally agree that if it was possible to put the program on a Client using Simconnect or WideFS, it would be nice and VERY USEFULL. My FScommander is on the client, so it cannot interfere with FSX. Each FPS counts in FSX!My Server: WIN7 64 on an SSD, i7 975 Extreme at 3.9 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI MSI R6970 2GB Lightning Frozr, ATI R6950 Frozr 2GB, resolution 6760x1200 Eyefinity for the 3x26" screens and 3 other screens for Main (26" 1920x1200, Overhead(IIYAMA prolite T2250MTS 25" 1920x1080), FMC and pedestal(same IIYAMA) (the last ones are both tactile), and 18 Goflight modules.

Very interesting topic, I reopen it because I'd like to know if someone has got it working TIR in their networked configuration.

On my client I run ASN, PFPX, TOPCAT and other stuff with great sarisfaction. And I noted that if I close my TIR on my server, immediatly I gain some fps. So would be very interesting to run it on client.

Tonight I'll try to run TIR on my client, the problem is also I use EZCA on my FSX server, so I think I have to modify something on this side....

Btw, have you got it working?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270