Sign in to follow this  
Xenowings

Jetline

Lucky. I am stable at 4.8 currently with auto vcore. I guess I have a bad SB chip.
Careful with the auto vcore and the auto vccio. That can get you into trouble sometimes. If you want to properly OC, do some testing to find the lowest safe voltage, and lock it there.

Ethan, what vcore did you end up running at? I've got mine set to auto and it spikes into the red briefly from time to time. I was going to leave things on auto and back down the multiplier a little, but I need to really spend some time doing it the proper way.

Tony

Lucky. I am stable at 4.8 currently with auto vcore. I guess I have a bad SB chip.
does this mean the only thing you changed in the bios was the multiplier to 48? Nothing else? Asking because I had my 2500k at 4ghz for a while and under FSX (load) all was fine and running without ANY problems but amazingly outside FSX I saw some blue screens every now and then. currently I am back at stock but want to give it another try....

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

does this mean the only thing you changed in the bios was the multiplier to 48? Nothing else? Asking because I had my 2500k at 4ghz for a while and under FSX (load) all was fine and running without ANY problems but amazingly outside FSX I saw some blue screens every now and then. currently I am back at stock but want to give it another try....
TBH I don't quite remember exactly what I changed. I followed a SB overclocking guide and changed several things but the vcore just did not want to stay low without any BSOD's. I suppose I am one of the unlucky ones to have gotten a bad chip that doesn't want to overclock high. With that said, I do have the Corsair H70 and with vcore on auto, and my multiplier set to 48, my temps never go above 40-45 on FSX load. Prime95 gave me readings as high as 70, but I doubt I will ever run my cpu that high on a regular basis.

Ethan, what vcore did you end up running at? I've got mine set to auto and it spikes into the red briefly from time to time. I was going to leave things on auto and back down the multiplier a little, but I need to really spend some time doing it the proper way.
1.325Never gets above 63*C in Prime. (I have awesome case cooling and a H70.)

My system runs everything fine, including a 3x27" eyefinity setup 5760x1080 with an additional monitor for fscommander...or Blackadder avi files! Batting%20Eyelashes.gifPeople seem to be anti-ATI on all fs forums, but i have no bad experience with them, they run FS fine and allow me to use 4 monitors.I perhaps wouldn't have spend quite so much on the HSDL drive...but my lord is it fast!

Ian R Tyldesley

Put me in your will Ethan....
Done! You get the computer and all FS hardware when I die. (Please don't come kill me) :(

1.325Never gets above 63*C in Prime. (I have awesome case cooling and a H70.)
That's crazy, I currently have a Corsair H50 ignore what it says in my signature, Asetek 550LC and Corsair H50 are pretty much the same cooling system almost, but would you recommend that H70? Asetek has the same thing as the H70 it's the 570LC I believe. I read some online reviews about it, seems to be a little bit better than the H50, currently in prime95 I'm getting temps in the high 70's, I'm hearing you want to keep you i7's below 75c. I have a Intel core i7-950 @3.80GHz and I'm trying to get it too 4.2GHz, also I have a CoolerMaster HAF 932 case, it's an amazing full size gaming case with plenty of ventilation and fans. I do have my Fans for the CPU in Push/Pull config and the CPU radiator is in between. Thanks in advance for any advice.

That's crazy, I currently have a Corsair H50 ignore what it says in my signature, Asetek 550LC and Corsair H50 are pretty much the same cooling system almost, but would you recommend that H70? Asetek has the same thing as the H70 it's the 570LC I believe. I read some online reviews about it, seems to be a little bit better than the H50, currently in prime95 I'm getting temps in the high 70's, I'm hearing you want to keep you i7's below 75c. I have a Intel core i7-950 @3.80GHz and I'm trying to get it too 4.2GHz, also I have a CoolerMaster HAF 932 case, it's an amazing full size gaming case with plenty of ventilation and fans. I do have my Fans for the CPU in Push/Pull config and the CPU radiator is in between. Thanks in advance for any advice.
The H70 is excellent if you set it up, and use it right. The way these types of coolers work is coolant (water, glycol, etc) is pumped through the CPU block, where the heat is exchanged from the CPU to the coolant fluid. The coolant is then pumped through a series of pipes that directly contact thin plates of conductive metal. These are called fins, and the pipes and fins make up the radiator. The heat from the coolant is transferred to the radiator and the coolant flows back to the CPU to start the cycle again. The radiator plays the single biggest role in the effectiveness of the cooler. The H70 doubles the size of the radiator (compared to the H50) giving it increased performance. Another thing that helps increase performance is the cool air blowing over the radiator. This allows for better heat transfer, and lower fluid temps. What I did (I recommend you do he same) is threw away the corsair fans and got two 90 CFM <20 dBa fans. This also helped dramatically increase the performance of the H70. Remember when setting up your cooling, to always mount the radiator fans as intake, never exhaust. Having exhaust air will KILL the cooler performance. It is very important to use fresh air. Just make sure you've got high-CFM fans as exhaust to take the hot air from the CPU cooler back out of the case. These are my suggestions. My temps don't go above 63*C and 49*C in Prime and FSX respectively. For you, I would upgrade to the H70 and get after market fans for it. It is a remarkable little cooler that does a great job.

The H70 is excellent if you set it up, and use it right. The way these types of coolers work is coolant (water, glycol, etc) is pumped through the CPU block, where the heat is exchanged from the CPU to the coolant fluid. The coolant is then pumped through a series of pipes that directly contact thin plates of conductive metal. These are called fins, and the pipes and fins make up the radiator. The heat from the coolant is transferred to the radiator and the coolant flows back to the CPU to start the cycle again. The radiator plays the single biggest role in the effectiveness of the cooler. The H70 doubles the size of the radiator (compared to the H50) giving it increased performance. Another thing that helps increase performance is the cool air blowing over the radiator. This allows for better heat transfer, and lower fluid temps. What I did (I recommend you do he same) is threw away the corsair fans and got two 90 CFM <20 dBa fans. This also helped dramatically increase the performance of the H70. Remember when setting up your cooling, to always mount the radiator fans as intake, never exhaust. Having exhaust air will KILL the cooler performance. It is very important to use fresh air. Just make sure you've got high-CFM fans as exhaust to take the hot air from the CPU cooler back out of the case. These are my suggestions. My temps don't go above 63*C and 49*C in Prime and FSX respectively. For you, I would upgrade to the H70 and get after market fans for it. It is a remarkable little cooler that does a great job.
Thanks for the advice, I upgraded the fans as soon as I got the system a couple months ago, replaced the OEM push/pull fans with 2 120MM Enermax silent fan's so that's a plus already. I most likely will upgrade to the H70 but for now my system is crazy fast, my frames never drop below 15FPS with almost all sliders too the max and with add-on such as REX, UTX, Orbx scenery. Once again though thanks for the advice I appreciate it.