Sign in to follow this  
MistyBlue

Fix for stutters?

Not really PMDG specific, but might be useful to some in prep for the NGX. Has anyone seen this supposed fix for FS stutters? I always had a lot of little micro-stutters even though I have a high-end machine with a solid video card and dedicated OS and FS SSD drives. Drove me crazy. Then I stumbled across this fix and it "seems" to have improved a bit. Don't know if it's a placebo effect (because I want it to be true) or if it really does work for others.http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644Thoughts?

Tony

Not really PMDG specific, but might be useful to some in prep for the NGX. Has anyone seen this supposed fix for FS stutters? I always had a lot of little micro-stutters even though I have a high-end machine with a solid video card and dedicated OS and FS SSD drives. Drove me crazy. Then I stumbled across this fix and it "seems" to have improved a bit. Don't know if it's a placebo effect (because I want it to be true) or if it really does work for others.http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644Thoughts?
interesting read, tony. will give it a try. seems like it can do no harm and only contribute to a better performance. though with my system I see stutters only in steep turns and currently at YBBN from ORBX whereas I have to admit that I did not really tweak my system so far and have pretty much enabled and 'to the right'.which brings me to my question: when o/c your cpu, did you only adjust the multiplier and left all other settings as is or did you apply some vcore offset and / or different memory timing than default? reason I ask is that I tried to o/c my 2500k to 4ghz and got some obviously annoying blue screen, though amazingly never when flying but rather in idle mode or when running completely different and I'd say not cpu/memory consuming tasks. all bluescreen had to do with the memory I guess judging from the error reports...thxphil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hi Phil, in my case I just changed the multiplier. My ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard seems to do a very good job of controlling everything else. But at 4.9 GHz I'm starting to touch briefly in the red on CPU voltage now and again. So I may back off just a tad. Keep in mind I'm also using a BIG case with three 200mm fans and a huge heat sink which is helping dissipate heat a lot. BTW, I'm not a hardcore overclocker, so take this with a grain of salt :( Based on my specs, I'm seeing around 17-20 FPS with NickN's OS tweaks, the Level-D, FSDT's KDFW, REX OD, UT2 maxed, ASE, AES, dense auto-gen, and moderate airport traffic. Getting about 40-48 FPS in the air. I still get minor stuttering at KDFW when looking toward the terminals and frame rates drop into the teens while rolling down the runway, but it's manageable. I could probably get more out of it but that's fairly reasonable for now, all things considered.Now, FS9, that's a joy to fly with this setup!Cheers!

Tony

Hi Phil, in my case I just changed the multiplier. My ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard seems to do a very good job of controlling everything else. But at 4.9 GHz I'm starting to touch briefly in the red on CPU voltage now and again. So I may back off just a tad. Keep in mind I'm also using a BIG case with three 200mm fans and a huge heat sink which is helping dissipate heat a lot. BTW, I'm not a hardcore overclocker, so take this with a grain of salt :( Based on my specs, I'm seeing around 17-20 FPS with NickN's OS tweaks, the Level-D, FSDT's KDFW, REX OD, UT2 maxed, ASE, AES, dense auto-gen, and moderate airport traffic. Getting about 40-48 FPS in the air. I still get minor stuttering at KDFW when looking toward the terminals and frame rates drop into the teens while rolling down the runway, but it's manageable. I could probably get more out of it but that's fairly reasonable for now, all things considered.Now, FS9, that's a joy to fly with this setup!Cheers!
thanks tony. will try that as well, so far I possibly changed too many settings, will just try the multiplier. and I would be happy with a 40 here, let alone 49 :( cooling should be no problem in my rig, once I tried the 40 under prime the cpu never exceeded 60C max which is quite good. however, I also added some -0.3v vcore offset and changed the dram timing per one of the countless 'how to oc' guides. but then came the blue screens... anyway ,will keep trying. I am just not so much into it. but I did realize quite a performance boost under fsx and that alone is worthwile spending some more of my precious spare time :-)

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Has anybody else tested this "stutter fix" and could report back if there are any disadvantages???

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody else tested this "stutter fix" and could report back if there are any disadvantages???
I tried it last night after seeing this thread and didn't notice a difference one way or another. Didn't seem to be any disadvantages, but as I didn't notice any advantages, either, I just went back to the original setting.

I tried this setting early this morning and did notice a SLIGHT improvment. The CPU cycles are a little more stable now than they were before but it is not a huge drastic improvment. The area where I normally fly, in the Pacific North West area (ORBX of course), it did seem - SLIGHTLY - smoother. Overall not a bad tweak, it is probably more effective in games where there's fast paced action like first person shooters etc. Those games must have smooth framerate and any CPU spikes would introduce stutters that affects playability :-)Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

That's good news, Jason. Thinking about it, I bet the fact that I'm extremely GPU limited with my 4850 is probably stopping this tweak from working the way it would on a better system. I'll have to give it another shot once I pick up a new video card.

That's good news, Jason. Thinking about it, I bet the fact that I'm extremely GPU limited with my 4850 is probably stopping this tweak from working the way it would on a better system. I'll have to give it another shot once I pick up a new video card.
Get the GTX570, that is what I have and its a nice card! Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

I would think hardware would certainly factor in. If you're experiencing low frame rates already, then this probably won't help much because the PC can't keep up anyway. In my case I had plenty of power, but was still seeing some stutter mostly on the takeoff roll and in turns while looking out the side windows in VC.Good thing about this is it doesn't do any harm. If it works, great. If not, just set your registry settings back to what they were.

Tony

Good thing about this is it doesn't do any harm. If it works, great. If not, just set your registry settings back to what they were.
did the tweak last night and see no negative effects, possibly indeed a tad less choppiness. So I will leave it on. What did they trick immensely at YBBN was to set the fps limiter to 22 (away from the default 30) as Mr. Orbx himself advised me in the orbx forum.next thing is to raise my multiplier. see all guys here with an asus p8 p67 board and a 2500k at way beyond 4ghz and like that too. will try with the auto vcore first and see which voltage it brings me. just 1 thing for clarification: if I see BSoD when at 4ghz, telling me something about memtable or whatever memory issue I cannot remember but my RAM is (manually) at stock speed then the reason for these BSoD can still be the CPU overclocking? Or can it be also the ram? what I mean is that I was under the impression that my ram would really fail when overclocking but it could be that the o/c'ed CPU can cause memory errors, too?phil

Phil Leaven

I have some thoughts on the memory issue, but again, I'm no expert and don't want to give you bad advice. Ethan probably could steer you better. What surprised me is that he's running around the same CPU speed as me but with much less voltage, so I need to start manually tweaking I guess.I've seen people make mention of external frame limiters. How well do they work? Whenever I seem to limit FPS within FSX the performance just isn't nearly as smooth as setting it to unlimited.

Tony

I have some thoughts on the memory issue, but again, I'm no expert and don't want to give you bad advice. Ethan probably could steer you better. What surprised me is that he's running around the same CPU speed as me but with much less voltage, so I need to start manually tweaking I guess.I've seen people make mention of external frame limiters. How well do they work? Whenever I seem to limit FPS within FSX the performance just isn't nearly as smooth as setting it to unlimited.
Works great! I limit mine to 40 just because I love the fluidity that comes with 40 FPS. You set your FSX limiter to unlimited and the FPS_Limiter to 20, 30 or 40. Definitely decreases stutters and add overall smoothness. I recommend it.

did the tweak last night and see no negative effects, possibly indeed a tad less choppiness. So I will leave it on. What did they trick immensely at YBBN was to set the fps limiter to 22 (away from the default 30) as Mr. Orbx himself advised me in the orbx forum.next thing is to raise my multiplier. see all guys here with an asus p8 p67 board and a 2500k at way beyond 4ghz and like that too. will try with the auto vcore first and see which voltage it brings me. just 1 thing for clarification: if I see BSoD when at 4ghz, telling me something about memtable or whatever memory issue I cannot remember but my RAM is (manually) at stock speed then the reason for these BSoD can still be the CPU overclocking? Or can it be also the ram? what I mean is that I was under the impression that my ram would really fail when overclocking but it could be that the o/c'ed CPU can cause memory errors, too?phil
OCing the CPU can definitely cause ram errors. Since you have the P67 board, make sure that you're not OCing the "old" way by raising the BCLK. For your initial OC, leave it a 100 and you can tweak later, but you need that to be stable initially. Second, you should lock your VCCIO voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, and if left on auto, the mobo likes to increase this too much as you start to raise your multi. I have mine tweaked, but I'd recommend that you set the VCCIO to 1.0 manually. (it will actually run a tad higher) Also, set the DRAM voltage manually to whatever your DDR is rated at. Finally, make sure you set your DDR timings manually. This should be a good start.

This should be a good start.
good to know. thanks for that input. btw, I went ahead and changed the multi to 45. running like a charme as I write since 1 hour with prime. cpu temp around 76C, vcore is around 1.3V though. too high? will do some 'real' work now on the pc and later hopefully some flying. would be too funny if all I needed to do is raise the multi and nothing else. haha

Phil Leaven