Sign in to follow this  
catmar

Installing FSX Deluxe over the top of FSX Standard?

As the topic title indicates, has anyone installed deluxe over the top of standard with success or will I have to uninstallstandard and install the deluxe version. I got standard as a present but due to quite a bit missing I am wondering if I shouldgo out and buy the deluxe version of the sim, but not looking forward to unistalling the old one and totally starting fromscratch with deluxe. Any hints or kinks or is it going to be the hard way?Thanks in advanceCatmar

Hi,Uninstall Standard including the hidden folders, install Deluxe, run and update FSX as needed.

Hi,Uninstall Standard including the hidden folders, install Deluxe, run and update FSX as needed.
Lol, I thought I would have to go the long route, but so be it, never hurt to ask the experts. Thanks for your very quick reply.Catmar

You might want to get the 'Gold' version instead of the Deluxe, Deluxe has the additional planes, multiplayer, etc, but does not include the SP1 and 2 updates. The Gold version has everything the Deluxe does and also the Acceleration pack which includes the SP's.

Jay

You might want to get the 'Gold' version instead of the Deluxe, Deluxe has the additional planes, multiplayer, etc, but does not include the SP1 and 2 updates. The Gold version has everything the Deluxe does and also the Acceleration pack which includes the SP's.
Thank you Jay I did not know that little gem of information, that would be the one to buy. Thanks again.Catmar

Any hints or kinks or is it going to be the hard way?
Uninstall SHOULD only remove the files that the installer actually installed. You will be asked if you want to save YOUR files - i.e. flights and records(?). I kept a copy of my logbook and awards, a copy of the effects and gauges folders for all the add-ons; a copy of the FSX config (for the tweaks), and key assignments (Standard.xml) AND the aircraft folders with the hours in them; and copies of the aircraft folders with my edited aircraft.cfg files.You may want to start entirely fresh - I didn't; I resumed with an Acceleration install (on W7/64)that was exactly where my Deluxe (Xp/32) left off.Loyd

Uninstall SHOULD only remove the files that the installer actually installed. You will be asked if you want to save YOUR files - i.e. flights and records(?). I kept a copy of my logbook and awards, a copy of the effects and gauges folders for all the add-ons; a copy of the FSX config (for the tweaks), and key assignments (Standard.xml) AND the aircraft folders with the hours in them; and copies of the aircraft folders with my edited aircraft.cfg files.You may want to start entirely fresh - I didn't; I resumed with an Acceleration install (on W7/64)that was exactly where my Deluxe (Xp/32) left off.Loyd
Thanks Loyd I am so grateful for this reply because I may have got rid of everything which would have been a disaster as Ihave exteme airports from UK2000, Orbx and three areas of Ultimate Terrain. Looks like I'll be ordering FSX Gold and followingwhat people have said here sometime during June. Again thanks to everyone who has replied to my call for help, appreciated.Catmar

I just recently upgraded to gold.. In my case, I renamed all the old FSX cfg folders to fsxold, and kept all my old sim intact.Then I installed "gold" fresh onto a new HD, and used all new cfgfiles. No problems so far.. Anyway, I kept all my old stuff just in case, but the new versionis a fresh start, which I think is the best way to go. I would not install on top of old versions myself.

I just recently upgraded to gold.. In my case, I renamed all the old FSX cfg folders to fsxold, and kept all my old sim intact.Then I installed "gold" fresh onto a new HD, and used all new cfgfiles. No problems so far.. Anyway, I kept all my old stuff just in case, but the new versionis a fresh start, which I think is the best way to go. I would not install on top of old versions myself.
Great information NM5K that's worthy of thought, thanksCatmar