Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Anyone here refuse to fly online? If so, why?

I've tried VATSIM a couple of times in the past, but have never gone back since then. The lack of ATC coverage, the lack of traffic over any given area (except during events,) and the terrible UI (FSInn/Squakbox) turned me off for good. I'm curious if I'm alone in this category or if there are others out there that feel the same way. Surely I can't be missing out on much.Regards,

Depends on what you mean when you say flying online. I've done a few Vatsim flights, but the coverage was patchy and so i use Radar Contact for airliner flights. It's not that I'd 'refuse' to do it with Vatsim, it's just that it wasn't very realistic with such intermittent coverage.But if you mean flying online with friends, I do that fairly often in FSX, sometimes with shared cockpits, the IRIS T6A Texan II is a good one to do that in - I even flew an A2A B-17G across the Atlantic in formation with a friend in another A2A B-17 in FSX (which takes a while LOL) and I fly online in other sims, Apache Air Assault is a good one for that, as is DCS A-10. Most of the FSX Air Hauler flights I make are 'online' in the sense that you can use the map in Air Hauler to see other people's aircraft and chat to them if you like whilst doing so.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi,I never have and I started with FS4 on an Apple 2e. I just don't have the interest especially with RC4 installed.

I agree with Jim, RC4 and PFE every now and then.

Never fly online...as above no interest in doing so.Don't really go online for any games

Ian R Tyldesley

I love it, BUT and it is a big BUTif and when you can get coverage it is truly awesome! quite a gut wrencher for sure... I usually fly online when there is some sort of sponsored fly in and fly in those areas that are covered. but yes I agree most of the time, there just isn't enough of coverage!

Ciao!

I have flown several times on VATSIM. The thing (IMHO) with vatsim is what everybody has already stated.... limited coverage. On the flip side with VATSIM is that when it has an event it is great! One of my best experiences with VATSIM was the London Heathrow Fly in. That was a great time with lots of aircraft comming and going. With that being said I can take it or leave it mainly due to limited coverage but I still do a VATSIM flight from time to time.Jim

Jim Wenham

I never have and never will. My main interest in flight simulation is to work out difficult situations like landing at some dangerous/difficult airports under different weather conditions, or flying between islands using dead reckoning during all or part of the flight. ATC is necessary in real life for safety reasons. It is limiting your freedom. If you like free flight, like me, it is a burden. And please, don't take me wrong, I am not trying to convince anybody that my way of doing this hobby is the best, it's just my preferred style of flying FSX.Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I never have and never will. My main interest in flight simulation is to work out difficult situations like landing at some dangerous/difficult airports under different weather conditions, or flying between islands using dead reckoning during all or part of the flight. ATC is necessary in real life for safety reasons. It is limiting your freedom. If you like free flight, like me, it is a burden. And please, don't take me wrong, I am not trying to convince anybody that my way of doing this hobby is the best, it's just my preferred style of flying FSX.Jean-Jacques
Your comment clearly explains why FSX is so great. We can all use it in the way we see fit and use it to simulate various situations. Very well said Jean-Jacques! :( Jim

Jim Wenham

You guys that don't fly online, is it because you prefer big iron and like to fly long routes? If so I can understand the lack of coverage issue. But usually during USA evenings and weekends you can find at least two ARTCC's online that border so flying a longer route shouldn't be an issue. I do admit the US is normally better staffed than EU and the US is indeed where I fly. You could always try IVAO - I hear they staff more in EU.I fly online very often, but usually small GA props, and limit my flights to 200 mi or less, depending on type of plane. And the way I fly is to target an area with a controller online (use Vatspy http://www.metacraft.com/VATSpy/ ) then plan my route accordingly. There's a few benefits to this method:1) Explore new places2) Meet other fs addicts, and also I've met a lot of rw pilots and a few controllers (or they've met me lol)I don't have an issue with the GUI for Squawkbox4, it's pretty simple to work with imho, tried FSInn back in the day -crashed my game, never looked back.Events are obviously fun but ZLA has a pilot program where you can go through levels - I highly recommend that for a mission-oriented goal. I'm doing it myself just for fun - most of the lessons I can already handle but it gives me something to do outside of the norm. ZLA website:http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.htmlEither way I urge guys to give it another try (seriously use vatspy to see whos online), and every friday night in the US is friday night ops which always brings a bunch of traffic if that's what you crave. Or you could always try the controlling side of things!

I never have and never will. My main interest in flight simulation is to work out difficult situations like landing at some dangerous/difficult airports under different weather conditions
Try this with decent ATC and you'll find the challenge and workload increases. Go missed and hope you had an alternate or pickup an IFR on the go. The computer software will act much differently than a human.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Two big reasons for me:- I like my AI traffic- I like to use time acceleration at cruise

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

VATSIM is great. Never fly offline, with or without ATC. If you haven't tried online flight on a secure network like VATSIM, you really should give it a try.

The SUPPORT FORUM for Level-D Simulations products: http://www.leveldsim.com/forums

LVLDF1.gif

All been stated.- AI- Limited coverage- Difficult to understand the controllers when there is coverage- Limited patience for those that aren't "pros".- Too restrictive.- Required add-ons are a pain to learn, and a paint to keep working correctly.All adds up to far too many downsides for me.

- Aaron

Never fly offline, with or without ATC.
If you are worried about the ATC experience you could try FSX ATC, laugh as it wobbles you in to an airport, taking a good 45 minutes, cry as it requests you go around for the 3rd time.

Ian R Tyldesley

I've used RC4, I'm flying VATSIM exclusively without any AI installed.So might name this unrealistic, since I don't have any AI on my airports, so pretty empty...But, I've flown in Katana couple of months ago, my first real flight experience, and someone said "hard to understand what ATC is saying" - you think it's better in real flight? I was really having a hard time understanding what ATC was saying... that said, my Sennheiser headset is really good and I understand online ATC really well.Flyins are great, I LOVED the Heathrow Flyin event - was definitely one of the best.It's really like this for me - FS is for me simulating real life, and can't simulate real life with a computer voice. They make mistakes, they shout if you make a mistake... way better :(