Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tamadeez

NGX to boost simmer population

Guest Tamadeez

Ok seeing as this plane is going to be insanely real enabling users to use the actual 737 manuals. Is there any chance this plane can be used as a media tool to promote the FS world. I mean surely media outlets would find this a news worthy story. Basically I feel the release of this plane is a new era for the FS world.

Guest dlrk

Unfortunately, that newsworthy story would be "Dangerous software sold over the dangerous internet dangerously aids dangerous terrorists". The media isn't interested in technological innovation.

No way. Flight simming is way too obscure and too much of a niche hobby for that to happen.With all due respect to PMDG, it will be a great product for certain, but it's not going to revolutionize the world the way a cure for cancer would, let's not kid ourselves here. It's also not the first great product that PMDG has produced either.-John Rodgers

I agree that the general public (or more accurately the media that reports to them) will see the potential negatives over the positives, it would make for a great sensationalist story of course. Sad but true.I think the broader aviation industry, however, will likely sit up and take notice of this product. The potential application as, say, a home-based type rating study aid is readily apparent.In my own line of work (aeronautical procedure design) there is real potential in an FS product like this which accurately flies coded procedures just as the real 737 does, because it could provide a viable alternative to going out in a real aircraft or a Level-D sim to validate those procedures during development, as we do currently.If there's an issue with a design element in a procedure under development, then we could identify it really early and fix it before it goes out for 'live testing'.Of course, on the downside we'd then get FAR less time jumpseating in the real thing and getting to play around in Level-D simulators for that purpose, so I'm seriously torn on the issue!NOTE: I should point out that the above notion is just that, a notion. All speculation at this point. I'm very much looking forward to exploring the possibility though.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The general public is unaware that PMDG or in some cases even MSFS exist. As you delve a little deeper, one realizes that most MSFS users in general are completely unaware that they can even add aircraft, let alone buy extremely complex, realistic simulations of a real aircraft! Even deeper than that, most fellow "real world" pilots I talk to are amazed to hear I have rudder pedals and a yoke in conjunction with complex reproductions of real aircraft on my home PC.This product will be a milestone in the flight simulator world. Which, although healthy, is a tiny niche. Keep in mind milestone aircraft have been released for the past 20 odd years for MSFS... PMDG has taken the torch the past few years.To Mark. As you know, it's been common place for airlines for the past 50+ years to use much cheaper procedural trainers. You make good points! ::DISCLAIMER::In no way am I saying the NGX doesn't stand the possibility of being the most enjoyable, milestone aircraft yet released... We'll see! :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The general public is unaware that PMDG or in some cases even MSFS exist. As you delve a little deeper, one realizes that most MSFS users in general are completely unaware that they can even add aircraft, let alone buy extremely complex, realistic simulations of a real aircraft!
Never thought we are that special. Reading all post above I feel like a geek with a strange hobby. It isn't, right?

Unfortunately, that newsworthy story would be "Dangerous software sold over the dangerous internet dangerously aids dangerous terrorists". The media isn't interested in technological innovation.
Ugh, I remember all the negative publicity after 9/11. Poor 767 PIC took a hammering.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Ugh, I remember all the negative publicity after 9/11. Poor 767 PIC took a hammering.
What is the old media motto...."Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Never thought we are that special. Reading all post above I feel like a geek with a strange hobby. It isn't, right?
I think if one peruses these forums, there's no doubt they're a geek! :( I've come to terms with this! LOL.gif Girls don't like it, though... Oh well.Geek. Noun. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Not at all. But I would hesitate to call it mainstream as well and certainly not something that's going to "change the world".-john rodgers

I think if one peruses these forums, there's no doubt they're a geek! :( I've come to terms with this! LOL.gif Girls don't like it, though... Oh well.
Well, I'm married anyway Big%20Grin.gif