Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Mystery Key Deletes Part of Post

I'm hoping someone can answer this because it has been an annoyance for me for a while now.Here's what happens. Everyonce in a while I will be responding to a post and accidentally drag or bump my hand on the key board and it will either delete the last word, words, or in some cases the better part of a paragraph that I just typed. In one instance, I had quoted a post and had written out a few paragraphs on instructions about something, then I accidentally hit a certain key combo by accident and it deleted everything I had just written. I was so steemed that I didn't even bother to write the whole response as I had already spent about 10 minutes on it.I'm not sure if its a key combo that is incorporated into the forum software or is just a key command that is part of Windows to begin with. I have tried some google searches that haven't really turned up anything in regards to what happens to me. I'm sure that part of the problem is that I dont look at the keyboard most of the time when I am typing and I could accidentally strike the key combo, but it also happens if I bump the key board, or sometimes if I am drinking a beverage and accidentally drag or bump the keyboard with the bottom of the can/bottle.Thanks to anyone who can solve this for me.Regards

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm hoping someone can answer this because it has been an annoyance for me for a while now.Here's what happens. Everyonce in a while I will be responding to a post and accidentally drag or bump my hand on the key board and it will either delete the last word, words, or in some cases the better part of a paragraph that I just typed. In one instance, I had quoted a post and had written out a few paragraphs on instructions about something, then I accidentally hit a certain key combo by accident and it deleted everything I had just written. I was so steemed that I didn't even bother to write the whole response as I had already spent about 10 minutes on it.I'm not sure if its a key combo that is incorporated into the forum software or is just a key command that is part of Windows to begin with. I have tried some google searches that haven't really turned up anything in regards to what happens to me. I'm sure that part of the problem is that I dont look at the keyboard most of the time when I am typing and I could accidentally strike the key combo, but it also happens if I bump the key board, or sometimes if I am drinking a beverage and accidentally drag or bump the keyboard with the bottom of the can/bottle.Thanks to anyone who can solve this for me.Regards
Well of course the delete and backspace keys are the ones that will delete characters. Is it possible the repeat key setting some how was changed to a more sensitive setting, causing more than one character to delete?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Well of course the delete and backspace keys are the ones that will delete characters. Is it possible the repeat key setting some how was changed to a more sensitive setting, causing more than one character to delete?
I did some testing last night after I posted this by making a fake reply to another thread and then hitting a bunch of random keys making sure to look at what I was doing. I did find that if you type a reply and then hit the ESC key it will delete everything you typed except for the the quote if your quoting someone.The sensitivity setting is something I will take a look at. The thing that puzzles me though, is what I am hitting that will delete the last word/words that I typed? Obviously the delete and backspace key will delete one character at a time, but it shouldn't delete a whole word with one key stroke. Maybe its something similar to what happens every now and then when my mouse pointer will suddenly streak across the screen on its own?

I know that with the "insert" key, by hitting it you are selecting "overtype" mode so if it is selected and you go back to an earlier part of the paragraph what you typed will be replaced with what you are typing afterward. Are the words that are disappearing to the left or the right of the typing cursor?

I know that with the "insert" key, by hitting it you are selecting "overtype" mode so if it is selected and you go back to an earlier part of the paragraph what you typed will be replaced with what you are typing afterward. Are the words that are disappearing to the left or the right of the typing cursor?
I experimented hitting the Insert key but couldn't make it do what was happening.The words are disappearing to the left of the typing cursor. For example, "I could be typing this" and then hit a certain key and the whole word I just typed would disappear, which in the case of the example would be the word this. It's really wierd but at least I figured out that accidentally hitting the "ESC" key will clear my whole post, so I will be a little more careful not to hit that key by mistake.

The thing that puzzles me though, is what I am hitting that will delete the last word/words that I typed? Obviously the delete and backspace key will delete one character at a time, but it shouldn't delete a whole word with one key stroke. Maybe its something similar to what happens every now and then when my mouse pointer will suddenly streak across the screen on its own?
Hi.Just like in MS Word et c. Ctrl+Backspace deletes a word at a time. Are you leaning your left wrist on the corner of the keyboard when attempting to delete one character?Just a thought.RegardsDave

Hi.Just like in MS Word et c. Ctrl+Backspace deletes a word at a time. Are you leaning your left wrist on the corner of the keyboard when attempting to delete one character?Just a thought.RegardsDave
I think that maybe it. I would have never known since I dont use MS Word. Its funny that I accidentally hit something as I was typing this response and deleted the whole response to you (this is my second time typing this), and I am pretty sure it wasnt the ESC key. I have noticed though that my right had is always close to hovering or resting on the CTRL key on the right side of the keyboard, so maybe there is also another key that works to accomplish the same thing as CTRL Backspace.Thanks for letting me know about that key sequence.

Hi,The Ctrl + Z key deletes everything. I just tried before posting.

Hi,The Ctrl + Z key deletes everything. I just tried before posting.
Yes, another stroke combo I was unaware of. That one is probably more likely for me to hit.I tested it also and deleted my reply to you.