Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Sorry I am not a "real pilot"!

AVSIMWhere Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!I spend many hours and more than a few dollars enjoying the fun of flight sims as well as reading the different forums. I do get very tired and bored of being told that because I am not a real pilot then I am too stupid to understand the hobby. What is more offensive is that many times this is coming from the Developers and the very people who we send our hard earned cash too. Jim R from Flight one has recently expressed in a thread here his distain for demanding simmers and stated that he more and more has turned to the real world flight projects. Think about that the next time you start to hit the purchase button! Of course then there is the ever present attacks from EagleSoft. I am always amazed at just how abusive they can be. I am pretty sure that if I were to start calling these guys names and just putting them down, the tread would get closed in short order and I would be asked to use the door for something other than banging my head.No….I am not a real Pilot. I am a person who enjoys the wonderful hobby of flight simulation. I am a 64 year old guy who many years ago enjoyed getting in a Cessna 150 or 172 and experiencing the wonderful feeling of flying. 21 years of service in the Air Force as an enlisted man gave me the chance to get up close and personal with many “flying machines” from C-47’s and Su-16’s to U2’s and SR-71’s. My computer system is modest compared to many but it allows me to enjoy my many hours of beating the bushes and remembering the feeling of turbulence and G-forces on the body. This hobby offers so much to so many. It does not matter that you are an old guy like me or a 12 year old dreaming of being the first guy or gal to walk on Mars, you should not have to be put down and called stupid by these guys. Enough is enough!! If they hate the customers and want to feel important then let them do it on their own sites. It is not helpful or needed here!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I've never experienced what you are describing and I've been buying addons heavily since Fly! and have been simming since FS4. I do see Ron quite a bit over-zealously defending his company, but I've never seen him belittle anyone because they weren't a real pilot. There is a "report" function here at Avsim at the bottom left corner of each post, though I don't know if moderators respond to it or not, you should use it anyway if you feel someone's words were inappropriate or uncalled for.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

First off, with all due respect I personally have never been accused of not being a real pilot and I have rarely, if ever, read that kind of statement here at AVSIM. Secondly, Jim Rhoads wrote about an incident related to people editing Jeppesen data so it could be used in FS I have quoted him from this thread , there is no mention of any disdain towards demanding simmers. I think you are reading more into it than there really is IMO.

And that "other way" is stealing.I am amazed at how many people will justify downloading, hex editing and modifying data that Jeppesen sells, so that they can use it in FS.Its theft and if you choose to do it, you are choosing to steal to get what you want.We had to shut down a thread in the RXP forum (that we support) because some people were explicitly showing how to do it with pictures and all.The ramifications could have rolled on us because we house the forum. I find it more than disturbing when people will go out of their way to find deceitful practices to support their hobby. Many of you are trying to emulate real world aviation applications. But you won't find the afore mentioned behavior happening in real world aviation because most people understand the costs and either accept them or find an alternative method to accomplish their needs. I find it very disgusting and another reason that more and more of my efforts are being channeled to real world use rather than entertainment.

\Robert Hamlich/

Think about that the next time you start to hit the purchase button!
Well, what makes me think about hittimg the purchase button again is the fact that over the last year, I tried SEVERAL times to become registered at their forums and they never replied.So, my support questions remain unaswered.No thanks, Eaglesoft.

Well, what makes me think about hittimg the purchase button again is the fact that over the last year, I tried SEVERAL times to become registered at their forums and they never replied.So, my support questions remain unaswered.No thanks, Eaglesoft.
Did you post about this in a General Forum so that they were aware of the forum issue? I have seen a few posts about this and they have personally responded to each and every forum issue.

I usually don't post too much in the editorial or opinionated forums here, since things tend to get too heated. However, I feel like I certainly need to agree that, at least in my opinion from what I have seen, there is a pretty troubling trend with some customer support and developers. I can't help but notice the seemingly growing condescending attitude of some groups toward their current and potential customers. It's ever more apparent in an assortment of forums and posts (even in some boards here on AVSIM) that seem to either take on a "that's not our problem", "stop bothering us", "too bad, so sad", etc. type of tone. Even in one case, on one particular forum that required proof of product registration, I was basically told in short to go "figure it out myself." Please don't tell me to step off now that you already have my money (I really wish more software had a return policy in this hobby; but I do understand the flip side of the coin).Of course, not ALL developers or support are like this. I have certainly had some better-than-expected experiences as well by groups who truly want to help their customers as well as appreciate their business and the hobby in general. But I'm afraid that ratio seems to be declining. If I'm a paying customer or potential customer with a question, please at least extend me some courtesy to help win or keep my business and don't portray me as an idiot or bother. Outside of the flight sim world, if I submit an inquiry or customer support request elsewhere, I at least get a "thank you for choosing our product" somewhere in the process (even if it is automated at times).

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I usually don't post too much in the editorial or opinionated forums here, since things tend to get too heated. However, I feel like I certainly need to agree that, at least in my opinion from what I have seen, there is a pretty troubling trend with some customer support and developers. I can't help but notice the seemingly growing condescending attitude of some groups toward their current and potential customers. It's ever more apparent in an assortment of forums and posts (even in some boards here on AVSIM) that seem to either take on a "that's not our problem", "stop bothering us", "too bad, so sad", etc. type of tone. Even in one case, on one particular forum that required proof of product registration, I was basically told in short to go "figure it out myself." Please don't tell me to step off now that you already have my money (I really wish more software had a return policy in this hobby; but I do understand the flip side of the coin).Of course, not ALL developers or support are like this. I have certainly had some better-than-expected experiences as well by groups who truly want to help their customers as well as appreciate their business and the hobby in general. But I'm afraid that ratio seems to be declining. If I'm a paying customer or potential customer with a question, please at least extend me some courtesy to help win or keep my business and don't portray me as an idiot or bother. Outside of the flight sim world, if I submit an inquiry or customer support request elsewhere, I at least get a "thank you for choosing our product" somewhere in the process (even if it is automated at times).
You are correct. There are many Developers who treat the the customer with respect. I think more people would rather point out the really good companies but hold back for fear of being here with only the motive of pumping up business for a friend. I have seen the "What's your motive card thrown a few times here and in other forums.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/