Sign in to follow this  
Guest voscon

FS9or FS2004? Does gmax work with them?

Guest voscon

Hi,I just wonder if anyone else finds it confusing to have 2 names (FS9 and FS2004) for the same program? Or am I missing something?Does GMAX work with the above? I tried, but without success, altho it's fine with 2002 prof.My first post since a long time, so probably covering old stuff, but could not find an answer in previous posts.Thanks and cheers,voscon.

I guess it depends on the question. Are you asking as a developer who wants to know if he can create objects in Gmax and export to FS2004 (or FS9 -- I agree that was a marketing fumble on MS's part) or do you just want to know if planes and scenery created in Gmax can be used? If it's the former, then yes you can export but you'll need the gamepack from FS2002 Professional to be installed in order to do it. If your question is the latter, then yes, Gmax-created objects are right at home in FS9, in fact that's what Microsoft themselves recommend we use. Before anyone lights their flamethrowers, I'm not suggesting that you can't use other programs to develop for FS9, just that Gmax is the officially supported program for doing so.

Guest voscon

>I guess it depends on the question. Are you asking as a>developer who wants to know if he can create objects in Gmax>and export to FS2004 (or FS9 -- I agree that was a marketing>fumble on MS's part) or do you just want to know if planes and>scenery created in Gmax can be used? If it's the former, then>yes you can export but you'll need the gamepack from FS2002>Professional to be installed in order to do it. If your>question is the latter, then yes, Gmax-created objects are>right at home in FS9, in fact that's what Microsoft themselves>recommend we use. Before anyone lights their flamethrowers,>I'm not suggesting that you can't use other programs to>develop for FS9, just that Gmax is the officially supported>program for doing so.Dear Bill,Thank you very much for the reply.My intention is to use GMAX for both the above scenarios, as I did in FS2002. I noticed that MakeMDL mentions 2002 and I could not find a new version.Am I right to assume that if I re-install the gamespack in FS9 it will work?I tried a straight copy from 2002 to F9, but that did not work for the scenery. The plane I designed works ok though.Can I look forward to a further enlightenment from you?Cheers,vosconP.S: Any idea when the next version of AFCAD will be available? I need to create a basic airstrip. AIRPORT has a facilityfor it, but it does not show up on the FS9 GPS and (hence)no traffic can use it.

Hi Voscon,Yes, if you use the gamepack from FS2002 to export models they'll work fine in FS9. Also, the new AFCAD is out already! You can find it here in the Avsim library so have a look. You can also use it to add new airports to the FS9 GPS database. Good luck!thanks,

Guest voscon

Reply #2Hi again.Thanks for the latest reply, but I can't get gmax bgl files to work with F9 yet.I'll muck around a bit more, but no idea what or where.BTW:This is the note in AFCAD204_127259 version:New airportsCurrently you can only modify existing airports. Subsequent releases will allow you to create new airports from scratch.Is there a later version that I'm not aware of?Cheers and thanks again.voscon

What happens when you try to get Gmax bgl files to work in FS9? I ask because I've got a whole aiport full of them that I've built with no problems. If you let me know what error is thrown or what is happening, maybe I can help out. And yes, the latest AFCAD is version 2.11 (I believe) -- your note is from AFCAD 2.04. The new one will allow for new airport entries.thanks,

Guest voscon

Hi Bill,No error is 'thrown'. The bgl file goes to the right place (Add-on scenery) like in FS2002, but does not show when I go and use the location it should be in.I removed and re-installed gmax anew, but it remembers the old files anyway, so that could be a problem.I test it with a simple box to minimise the export time. FS2002 shows it, FS9 doesn't.I will try further and if unsuccessful (or otherwise) will let you know.I downloaded AFCAD 2.11 and will try it out after I send this.Thanks again,voscon.

Guest voscon

Dear Bill WomacJust found out (after some days!) that gmax registration does not work with NETSCAPE!!Now waiting for registration No. via Intermet Explorer.Thanks for advice re AFCAD..worked very nicely for me so far.voscon.(See warning post from vocon (misspelt, sorry)):(