Sign in to follow this  
Squishy

Saving FSX install after format

Well, some weeks ago when i reinstalled win7, I carefully saved my FSX folders(which was working perfectly, finally). The folders are %appdata% fsx folder and the \programdata\fsx folder.I never touched the FSX install folder since I didn't format. Well today I wanted to try my FSX again because PMDG 737NGX is coming soon. Well guess what, half of my aircraft don't work and i get errors at start-up. Any tips how to keep FSX working after reinstalling windows?

I'm guessing there is a problem of simconnect missing since that is installed within "C:\Windows". I've never tried it, but if you have fsx deluxe (or equiv) you could install the sdk and update the sdk to your fsx ver. Then there is a simconnect.msi that can install simconnect. It's designed for a networked PC that fsx wasn't installed on, but might work in this case.scott s..

Ye i installed the simconnect that came with REX and it solved some, however my LevelD 767 refused to work, even after reinstalling it.

If you are saying that you installed your OS from scratch, then that is your problem, when you installed your OS it created new registry entries and erased you old registry entries with all your FSX registry information.I am suprised FSX even works at all! I have a feeling that the best way to fix it is to save all your FSX folders to a safe place, delete all of them and reinstall FSX.If it were me at this point I would install the OS from scratch and then install FSX and all addons from scratch.

BTW idahosurge, I was recently forced to reinstall windows…and I'm still recovering.And I can definitely identify with that pain of reinstalling all one's software :( FS aside...it still takes several days to get all my license and accounts sorted out.There’s absolutely no substitute for a forward looking backup plan.So this time I promise to make a backup image of my system once I have everything as I like it.That way I can revert to a good clean windows install with my software in place.There’s no trouble using ad hoc copies as a backup for simple data.But software needs a system image.I think anyone that doesn’t have a system restore plan…should get that sorted ASAP :( …Ignore at your peril ;)

If you are saying that you installed your OS from scratch, then that is your problem, when you installed your OS it created new registry entries and erased you old registry entries with all your FSX registry information.I am suprised FSX even works at all! I have a feeling that the best way to fix it is to save all your FSX folders to a safe place, delete all of them and reinstall FSX.If it were me at this point I would install the OS from scratch and then install FSX and all addons from scratch.
Well ye i use the FSX registry fix to at least point it to the good directory.But it's a pain reinstalling FSX. Takes half a day.. Just installing GEX, REX and world of AI takes like 3 hours because of all the data.And i don't even have UTX, FSglobal or REX overdrive

Last time I installed FSX it took me a whopping 6 hours (!), I still prefered it to trying to troubleshoot and fix license issues with software that didnt like the copy-paste approach of backup, and then after trying to figure it out for 4 hours having to do a complete reinstall anyways