Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Runtime Error Bad Picture or something

Everytime I try to load a flight plan I get that error message. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Actually it's "invalid picture" runtime error 481

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

It means something changed in the image/icon formats used by applications such as RC. This is a new one on me. (I'm not jd, the developer.)What is your operating system? Antivirus/security software? All of the RC screen icons are drawn before you enter the flight plan. As soon as you enter it does the plan show in the box 1, type of departure in box 2, and frequencies in box 3? Does the Start RC button message 'Start RC' turn black? All before the error?If not then have you ever changed your system windows font? Are you using Windows configured for US standards?While another error, you have an aircraft loaded in FS at the gate panel showing without error before pressing the RC Start button, correct?You need to clarify the error a bit.If the error persists, click debug before loading your plan. Also recheck your FS9 and flight/weather paths. Be sure your scenery rebuild has worked and your FSUIPC and makewrys latest versions have been installed, links at the forum top before your scenery rebuild, then do it.Be sure you have a pilot, copilot, and ATC and chatter voices selected.When you load a plan, even without FS running (don't press the start button), the three information windows should fill and the Start button message should switch from gray to black. Is that where RC crashes?A plan loaded screen shot is attached. Do you get that far?

Well, I fixed it, and I did a few things, hard to point out exactly which one was the fix.First, I couldn't uninstall, some file was corrupt, so I shift+del the rc4 and rc4x directories. I then cleaned out my temp files with CCleaner, and ran two registry cleaner tools.Second, I downloaded the latest Visual basic runtime libraries (.dlls) Third, I restarted the computer.Fourth, I reinstalled RC4 (as an administrator) to a directory I made (C:\Jeff\RC4) where I made sure I gave my self full permissions.Fifth, Ran RC4 and all is well!

Jeff

If you use FSX and FS9 you will need two installations of RC4, usually RC4 and then RC4X, a dual install. Then using the free registry checker noted in the FSUIPC and makerwys pinned update topic, check you paths for each version of FS. You'll have to run that utility by right clicking on it and selecting run as admin. Once done install the latest FSUIPC3 for FS9 aand FSUIPC4 for FSX as indicated in that same topic. Now download the latest makerwys.exe from that noted link and copy it to each FS folder. The same version is used for FS9 and FSX.Now make a shortcut to the FS9 folder version of RC4.exe (in your RC4 folder by default), right click on the shortcut, and set the shortcut property to run as admin. You might want to rename the shortcut to RC4-FS9. Repeat the process to establish a shortcut to RC4.exe in your RC4X and rename that RC4-FSX. Set up its properties to run as admin.One more expedient thing I suggest you do is to create or document in notepad or Wordpad (saved as a text file). You can name it FS Paths. Put a full path for each version as a separate line in their. I have just just FS9 so I have one line:h:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9Save that text file in your documents folder and then create a shortcut to it on your desktop. You can get the path from the properties of your FS9 and FSX shortcut folder names and select rename, that ctrl-C to copy after highlighting the path for each, and pasting that path into each line of that document. Here's why:When you rebuild the scenery you start up the correct version of RC for the version of FS. As an example startup your RC4-F9 version and click rebuild scenery. It will ask you for the FS path. Click the FS Paths shortcut on your desktop. Now highlight the line such as:h:\program files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9and ctrl-c or edit copy to put it in the clipboard. Now set your cursor back to the RC query box and ctrl-v to paste the path in there.You can also use this technique in the RC paths setup.Why go to this trouble? We have had some dual install users start the RC4 shortcut to the RC4 folder but use the FSX path line so the wrong scenery data got put into the FS9 RC version. The same is true for starting a rebuild in the FSX version but using the FS9 path. Even for single FS version users this saves a lot of typing errors when declaring the path in a scenery rebuild. Frequently that and a much older version of makerwys.exe results in RC having the incorrect data for airports when comparing your aircraft and AI location positions to the scenery data.Hope this gets you on the road.

Thanks!

Jeff