Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Best mesh add-on?

I use UTX EU and NA, but it recently struck me how flat everything looked. I am thinking of purchasing a mesh add-on. Doing a bit of googling, I found that FSGenesis is a good mesh add-on. However, that add-on also includes landclass data. My question is, would you recommend FSGenesis and if so, should I use UTX landclass or FSGenesis landclass (are both programs compatible, i.e. if I would like to use UTX landclass but FSG mesh, is that possibe?)

I've had all of what you are considering. IMO FS Genesis is a good mesh product and I doubt I would be able to tell much of a difference between it and FS Global 2010 which I am running now. The reason I made the switch is for simplicity sake. I found myself checking the Genesis site too often and downloading updates etc.(Justin's Customer support is excellent)this in itself is a good thing but personally I just wanted to add my mesh and fly. FS Global came in one Jewell case (Multiple DVD's) I added it a year ago and just until recently (FS Global 2010 now has an updated product line too)I didn't sweat it, I just flew.For mesh I think you would do well with either FS Global or FS Genesis. There are some others you might consider including the "Pro Mesh" lines which would serve well if you fly in a localized area; I wanted a global solution. Landclass is going to be more personal. My opinion would is that Ultimate Terrain series is far superior to what's available with FS Genesis, then again it's much more specialized. I use it in conjunction with the Scenery Tech landclass sandwiched in between the vegetation layers as described in the UTX forums.Edit- Oh, sorry missed your question...Yes you can use UTX with Genesis Mesh, without using their (Genesis) landclass, you can decide whether or not to install it :(

RE Thomason Jr.

There are several good landclass add-ons widely available. SceneryTech from Flight1 comes immediately to mind. I use Cloud9 X-Class, I like the visuals better. They are inexpensive. Install above your UTX in the scenery library.

You can use UTX and FSG mesh together, I do, they work and look great together. FSG really brings out the terrain.For a landclass I use SceneryTech (ST). Like Blaze said, landclass if more of a personal choice, pick the one you like best. Some people use different vendors for different areas of the world, I just kept it simple and used ST for the whole world.If you use a landclass and UTX it needs to be place in the scenery library between UTX Urban and UTX Vegetation.UT LANDCLASS - UrbanLANDCLASS X <-------------- Place all landclass products between the UTX Urban and Vegetation layers and enable as needed (only ONE)LANDCLASS Y <------------------|LANDCLASS Z <------------------|UT LANDCLASS - Vegetation