Sign in to follow this  
dva51

Same scenery, different result on different PC ?

Hi to allI'm asking an help to somebody that can help me to understand and sove a problem, that is creating me "confused"First of all I'm at beginning on scenery design and GMax use, than the following happens:I've just completed a revision of Dervio scenery (VFR italian Como lake), with several new objects GMax created; one of this object is the terrain, that I created with GMax "flat box" of 500x500 mts textured with real picture of the ground.All rights in my PC (Window7, i3, nvidia geforce with cuda ..) as you can see on the first enclosed printscreenbut ...the result on other PC, where this scenery was activated (checked with two simmer friends, of which one provide me some pictures, that I enclose here): the terrain "flat box" appears floating approx 4 mts above the FS ground !??Nobody of us (me and the friends) have extra meshes besides the FS default oneWho can tell me of the reason of problem?many tanks in advanceAldo

Ciao Aldo,Please compare the display options between the 2 different versions of FS to see if they are the same.Best regards.Luis

Ciao Aldo,Please compare the display options between the 2 different versions of FS to see if they are the same.Best regards.Luis
Ciao Luis,I had a deep check with a spanish friend and the FS9 setting are the samewe also checked the FS9.cfg in section terrain, as follows..........[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0..........there is a strange thing, more:I use FS9 at home with Windows7, i3 processor and also in other place with XP, Pentium4: the default FS9 groundAT HOME has (over Dervio area)a road running on a small hill; the same on Pentium4 has the road, but without any hill (flat terrain): I'm afraid the trouble go around this matterThanks for your help ... and patienceAldo

Excuse me, Aldo, from your images, the problem seems pretty clear:Please click on the image to see the animation.Either you do not both have the same mesh settings in the display options, or you are using different altitude meshes.Best regards.Luis

Excuse me, Aldo, from your images, the problem seems pretty clear:Please click on the image to see the animation.Either you do not both have the same mesh settings in the display options, or you are using different altitude meshes.Best regards.Luis
Hi LuisWe (me and 2 simmers friend) checked to have the same setting: it is but ... the result is the sameI've no idea of the way to find the solution, sing :( Thanks, anywayAldo

Hello Aldo,If you will please look carefully, you will see that the hills right behind the airport do not have the same shape in your version and your friend's. This means that either you do not have the same display settings or you are not using the same altitude mesh.Best regards.Luis

I would also add, Aldo, that you can easily solve your problem by either:- not using a gMax polygon since any irregularity in the terrain will raise it as you observe. Use custom (photo-real) ground textures instead since they follow the terrain and cling to it. Or,- use your gMax polygon, but first flatten the terrain with a vector flatten polygon.Best regards.Luis

I would also add, Aldo, that you can easily solve your problem by either:- not using a gMax polygon since any irregularity in the terrain will raise it as you observe. Use custom (photo-real) ground textures instead since they follow the terrain and cling to it. Or,- use your gMax polygon, but first flatten the terrain with a vector flatten polygon.Best regards.Luis
Thank you Luis for your patience first.:( As I'm not an expert developper, I'm a bit in difficulty to follow you, but I really would understand.1) in which way an I use ground texture (Google, for instance) clinging to the terrain, avoiding to use GMax? (I tryed to use SBuilderFS9... but I was not able to start it ...)2) how to flatten the terrain ? what about the way to do thatI hope you'll understand I'm at the "very ground level" with above questions, but I would like to learn the way to provide photoreal terrain :( many thanks in advancewith best regardsAldo

Hello Aldo,If I understand correctly, this is for FS 9, not FS X. In that case, you have a number of options for making photo-real ground textures. You should first please read and understand the Scenery S.D.K., the official documents provided by the ACES team on making this type of scenery.If you have problems launching SBuilder, then please provide more details on the difficulty so that a solution can be found.Best regards.Luis

Hello Aldo,If I understand correctly, this is for FS 9, not FS X. In that case, you have a number of options for making photo-real ground textures. You should first please read and understand the Scenery S.D.K., the official documents provided by the ACES team on making this type of scenery.If you have problems launching SBuilder, then please provide more details on the difficulty so that a solution can be found.Best regards.Luis
Thanks Luisfor SDK I'm trying to read & understand something (i/e http://www.flightsim...n-Tutorial.html)On Sbuilder matter, I put in a picture the screens of the problem, hoping clearThanks once moreAldo

Hello Aldo,The missing TABCTL32.OCX is a common problem. Please see:http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1135&p=4954&hilit=tabctl32.ocx#p4954Best regards.Luis

Hello Aldo,The missing TABCTL32.OCX is a common problem. Please see:http://www.ptsim.com...ctl32.ocx#p4954Best regards.Luis
Hi Felixthis link does not run ...Have i to download/install TABCTL32.OCX ? from where (in safe way) ?thanksAldo

TABCTL32.OCXPost by JoHubb » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:42 pmI had a problem getting SBuilder to run. I got a runtime error reporting that tabctl32.ocx was missing from my system. I found out from scruffyduck's post that this file should be in the Windows\systems32 folder.I have an old PC which I knew had a working version of SBuilder. I used the XP search utility to look for TABCTL32.OCX but it could not find it. I opened the systems32 folder on this old PC and scrolled down - TABCTL32.OCX was sitting there. I copied the file over to the systems32 folder on my main PC and SBuilder now runs perfectly.I am puzzled by two aspects of this:1. Why was TABCTL32.OCX present on my old PC and not my newer one? XP Pro and FS9 are installed on both machines with all available updates. Sbuilder version 2.05 rev 06 was installed on both.2. Why did the XP search utility not find TABCTL32.OCX on the old PC? The folders and files were not 'hidden'. This file only came to light when I scrolled down the file list.JohnPost by José » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:25 amHi,Please, access:http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=TABCTL32.OCXDownload and register the OCX, following the instructions.J.F.Lôbo