Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

Interesting/Strange new FS "advice" service: FSGS

Guest Elrond

After taking a second look at their site, I think what initially raised a red flag for me was the "System Unification" page. They really try to make it sound like they have a valuable new approach and actual new information outside of anything else available that they can sell a person.Maybe its just me: maybe I'm being more cautious or feeling more wary of their business plan than I should be. I'm not sure. What would help is if anyone actually knows any of these people involved with this service. Since they're dispensing FS specific advice, they must be known or even come from within the community (I'd think).Take care,Elrond

Sounds to me like these guys are back in the days of Merlin when folks were going around pulling swords out of rocks. There is nothing, repeat, nothing they can provide at a cost that is not freely available here and elsewhere on the web. I suppose there are always a few people who, either through ignorance or laziness, will take them up on the service(s) offered, but I'll bet it's very few. Here's the deal I'm going to make them: I pay $10 for every single frame increase they can me get above my current average in their pick of the default FS9 flights and my pick of "clarity". But, (there's always one of those) if they can't get me an increase of at least 10% I pay nothing. Sound fair?Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Philip Olson

Here is my take on this, I think it is a good idea especially if they have something new, but even if they are imparting knowledge that is freely available here and at other sites it is a good and valuable service. I have found that many of us who frequent these forums are extremely knowledgable about computers and we are a minority. Most people only know the basics and do not care to learn any more than that. For example I am one of those that fixes computers for friends family and neighbors (I once was a systems administrator too) but one of my "clients" can not do anything other than play card games and use AOL. If one of his windows in AOL gets resized by accident he calls me immediately, I have shown him time and again how to do various things but he still calls me. I have also shown him how to find help via the Windows Help system and he will not use that, period. He would rather pay me a minimum of $20.00 per visit and sometimes I am over there 4 or 5 times a week. More often than not I am only there for 5 minutes or less and I just made $20.00. Yes this guy is an extreme case but I find that there are many just like him out there and if they can pay to get something done to their computer they will rather than do it themselves or spend the time trying to learn what to do themselves. I have to try and remember sometimes that I am in the minority of computer users, a knowledgable one. I have not had to use any kind of tech support in perhaps six years because I find that by the time I can get through to them I already have the problem figured out but how many people honestly have that level of knowledge? Only a few, so for the other very large percentage of the users this is a service that will be very beneficial as long as they can deliver what they promise. Philip

I think you just hit on the entire basis for the field of consulting. As life and all its trappings grow more and more complex, the vast majority of people IMHO have become somewhat overwhelmed by it all. Computers provide an extreme example of this. I've worked in a corporate environment before (and this was a high-tech company mind you, with a disproportionate amount of PhDs) and I was shocked at how few of them understood their computer well enough to do much more than basic word processing. It's just a fact of life; you can't know everything. Maybe you could get close in decades past, but just hang up even trying now. So I can see a niche market for some enterprising souls who provide a calm and reassuring voice, help you through a problem and send you a bill once things are working well again. As for the argument that we all can find this stuff online for free, isn't that a bit like saying "why should I pay some bugger who's written a book when I can find every word he put down in the dictionary for free?" Sometimes it's not having the information available that's valuable, it's knowing how to put it together into something meaningful.

Sure, if they want to give a go, I'll post the results.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest SoarPics

Can't say that I have confidence in their business model, but then it's theirs and not mine.I agree with the perspective that some folks simply don't want to (or can't) do their own tweaking, so maybe this service will be of value to them. I do my own, this (and other) sims run just peachy, so I'll pass.I do wish them luck.

Guest RSmith

Different persepctive here. Sort of agree with Will. Not rating this new offering "yeah / ney" - just endorsing Will's comment that "personal service" ...may... make a difference.Yes, I've also relied on AVSIM for 99.9 % of questions and info., for many years now. But as an avid simmer, but a much less avid computer jockey, I specifically look for opportunities where I can learn "one-on-one" from more experienced users. What often happens in forums is if the user is somewhat "less experienced or less knowledgable" in specific procedures, tweaks, code revisions, whatever - AND - the question has been asked before - considered redundant - one can easily get ignored, or worse, trashed for asking a routine question. Understand both sides of that equation. No right answer, no fault inferred. But a "service" that holds (reportedly) specific (current) FS knowledge, combined with current NVIDIA/ATIRadeon graphics skills - and - offers one-on-one assistance - may be very marketable !Fortunately, I've been able to keep up relatively well. System working well (within my acceptance range), and I have had superior help from my system hardware builder - guiding me through the more complicated system issues. Friends via AVSIM and this forum have helped tremendously - I really appreciate the informative posts ! Not sure I'll (personally) be using this new service.However, just another opinion - I think there "may" be a legitimate market for this "private & personalized" service - if - it's real. Instead of risking asking "old" questions in the forum - and getting the associated "reminders" - this service may well be an alternative for "getting up to speed" - with direct private help. Price seems right for that alternative one-on-one help.Lastly, I trust that if this isn't a well founded, "real" help source, we will hear about the service's shortcomings very quickly. If that turns out to be the case - in this community - their "service life" will be very short. We all know that, at least with involvemnt with FS. They do, however, offer similar services to comparative user groups........ which we can't speak to......Will be interesting to follow.Ron

First let me introduce myself. My name is Michael Greenblatt (also known as ramsa329) and I am the lead technician for Fs-Gs.I wish I could have responded sooner to each of your posts and I apologize for not addressing each individually and hope that this response will shed some light on how and why Fs-Gs came into being.Fs-Gs intends to be a service for flightsim users and graphics artists who use process intensive applications and are tired or worn out from every attempt that they have made to rectify problems that they are having with their systems. It is not designed to address issues regarding .cfg files or how to install a plane or scenery or even

First let me introduce myself. My name is Michael Greenblatt (also known as ramsa329) and I am the lead technician for Fs-Gs.I wish I could have responded sooner to each of your posts and I apologize for not addressing each individually and hope that this response will shed some light on how and why Fs-Gs came into being.Fs-Gs intends to be a service for flightsim users and graphics artists who use process intensive applications and are tired or worn out from every attempt that they have made to rectify problems that they are having with their systems. It is not designed to address issues regarding .cfg files or how to install a plane or scenery or even

Guest allcott

Thanks and welcome. If it is system setup rather than flightsim setup, why the `FSGS` handle? Can't just be flight sim enthusiasts that can't set up their own computer systems! Do you operate the same business model under other environments, using different trading names? Perhaps some of your (flight sim) customers would be kind enough to post the benefits THEY received by such personal service, with special emphasis on the improvement within flight sim itself.Allcott

"It is not designed to address issues regarding .cfg files or how to install a plane or scenery or even

Guest daveg4otu

1:Quote from Michael Greenblatt's post above------"It is not our intension to make claims to increase your frame rates since for the most part I never deal with fame rates and am much more concerned with the entire flow of the sim."2:Quote from the FSGS Home page"We guarantee that you will see better texture clarity and an increase in frame rates."Seems a little contradictory....?Dave