Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

FS2004 - ATC and Downwing/Upwind Runways. Help.

Guest Grayfox

O.K. the manual and everything else in FS2004 says that ATC will open the largest runways that are closest aligned with the upwind, obviously so that you take off and land against the wind.However, these past few days I hear the ATIS and wind is like 013/12 and the runway that is open is 01L and 01R in Washington. Like, what the hell? Why not open the other end of the runway 19L and 19R? I was landing into Washington DC last night (real weather) it was snowing no visibility and they are telling me to land on 01R and the only other option open is runway 01L.Wind was aligned downwind on 01R meaning it was also traveling north, I was traveling south from Allentown against the wind. I mean I landed, but it was annoying, I bounced on the runway. Both 19L and 19R have ILS, so why aren't they opening those runways?I had a similar issue in Newark while taking off. Wing direction was 60 or so degrees and the runways that were open were 4L and 4R. Both 22L and 22R have ILS, why is ATC making the runway that is in the downwind the active one?Any suggestions?

Guest paulri

My suggestion is that you do some research and learn what the terms "downwind and "upwind" mean. I would also suggest you include research into what a reported wind of "013/12" is telling you as well as the rule about landing INTO the wind and why. Here is a hint--travelling south from Allentown to DC in the case you described, you had a tail wind, NOT a headwind. AND, you were assigned the correct runway at both DC AND Newark. Captain!!?? Yeah, right!! :-lolPaul

Guest Grayfox

>My suggestion is that you do some research and learn what the>terms "downwind and "upwind" mean. >>I would also suggest you include research into what a reported>wind of "013/12" is telling you as well as the rule about>landing INTO the wind and why. Here is a hint--travelling>south from Allentown to DC in the case you described, you had>a tail wind, NOT a headwind. AND, you were assigned the>correct runway at both DC AND Newark. >>Captain!!?? Yeah, right!! :-lol>>PaulWell Downwind is in the direction of the wind no? Like the Downwind leg of a pattern. Upwind is in the direction opposite of the wind which is usually on the Departure leg.013/12 is the the direction the wind is coming from and its speed.What I was reading wrong was the ATIS 013/12 is wind from the North blowing South. So they did give me the right runways. Nevermind, I was just misinterpreting ATIS.PS. Sorry I offended you there Red Barron. Maybe you can be a little more helpful and a little less degrading.

Guest Blue Ridge Dx

Hi Grayfox,You correctly defined the terms, but I think you're mistaking what 013/12 means. In the above example, the winds are blowing FROM 013 degrees at 12kt. The winds given by ATIS, ASOS, METARS, TAFS and the tower always indicate the magnetic direction the wind is blowing FROM.Another way to think of it is, the heading given in the report is the heading you turn to in order to face into the wind. Therefore 1L/R were the correct runways for Dulles last night, and 4L/R were correct for Newark.Hope that clears it up for you.Best Regards,NickBlue Ridge Dx

Guest paulri

>013/12 is the the direction the wind is heading and its>speed.>And in the situation I describe if I'm going south and the>wind is coming North how do I have a tailwind?Nope, you got it backwards. Like I said, do some research and learn something. >PS. Sorry I offended you there Red Barron. Maybe you can be a>little more helpful and a little less degrading.And maybe you can be somewhat less of an arrogant no nothing, whining and moaning about things you obviously are clueless about. Always glad to be helpful to those that want help. As far as arrogant types like you, I normally just ignore them. Just this once, I decided I would address your mass of misinformation before some other newbie started to think you really knew what you were talking about. FWIW, I have spent a lot of my life flying for real, including a couple of years of combat flying. What is your claim to fame? Not much, I would guess. Don't bother replying, I have no intention of wasting more of my time carrying this discussion any further.

Guest Grayfox

>Hi Grayfox,>>You correctly defined the terms, but I think you're mistaking>what 013/12 means. In the above example, the winds are blowing>FROM 013 degrees at 12kt. The winds given by ATIS, ASOS,>METARS, TAFS and the tower always indicate the magnetic>direction the wind is blowing FROM.>>Another way to think of it is, the heading given in the report>is the heading you turn to in order to face into the wind.>Therefore 1L/R were the correct runways for Dulles last night,>and 4L/R were correct for Newark.>>Hope that clears it up for you.>>Best Regards,>>Nick>Blue Ridge DxYeah it does, thanks Nick I was reading ATIS wrong. I couldn't remember which one it was. Well it's a relief to know that FS2004 was right :D. I guess I just came in too fast on that landing. Just one of those days. Thanks for the help

Guest Grayfox

>>013/12 is the the direction the wind is heading and its>>speed.>>>And in the situation I describe if I'm going south and the>>wind is coming North how do I have a tailwind?>>Nope, you got it backwards. Like I said, do some research and>learn something. >>>PS. Sorry I offended you there Red Barron. Maybe you can be>a>>little more helpful and a little less degrading.>>And maybe you can be somewhat less of an arrogant no nothing,>whining and moaning about things you obviously are clueless>about. >>Always glad to be helpful to those that want help. As far as>arrogant types like you, I normally just ignore them. Just>this once, I decided I would address your mass of>misinformation before some other newbie started to think you>really knew what you were talking about. >>FWIW, I have spent a lot of my life flying for real, including>a couple of years of combat flying. What is your claim to>fame? Not much, I would guess. >>Don't bother replying, I have no intention of wasting more of>my time carrying this discussion any further. >LOL Paul you really are something else. I fail to see how my original post was arrogant. If you are referring to the second post of the "Red Baron" remark it was in regards to your "Yeah Right!!" comment towards me. My first post was not arrogant at all, I was mearly misinformed about the situation. You on the other hand come off as an arrogant know it all.I'm not a pilot yet, will begin flight school this summer hopefully. I'm glad you are a real world pilot with combat experience and give you lots of credit for that and actually look up to you, I just hope you aren't a flight instructor.I would hate to be your student for fear of answering something wrong. I'm not a Captain, just fly virtual airlines for EA for fun that's all. Perhaps you should use your training and knowledge to instruct those that are wrong instead of berading them when they are....it's called the learning process...I'm sure even you made a few mistakes in the beginning of your career, no one is perfect.

Guest Blue Ridge Dx

Okay there ace...I'm sure you're perfect, but not everyone else is.He asked a question, got an answer, and now everyone's happy...Except you. What gives? Maybe could've helped him understand, instead of mocking him. Just a thought...EDIT: Oh, this gets better and better...now you're a seasoned real world pilot AND you have 'combat experience'! It's ok everybody! Paul is here to save us! Neither myself, nor any other real pilot would answer in the manner you did. If you were half the pilot you claim to be, you would've helped him visualize his error, not shoot back snide comments about how good YOU are. Unbelievable...NickBlue Ridge Dx

Guest GabrielR

Agree with Blue....I had the same question a while ago, and somebody kindly answered it, this is not the kind of behavior I would expect from somebody answering a simple question..."FWIW, I have spent a lot of my life flying for real, including a couple of years of combat flying. What is your claim to fame? Not much, I would guess. "Guess I'm lucky!! Since I am not a real Pilot, This fighting ACE can not shoot me down if I ask a question!!!LOL! Gabriel Ruiz

Guest panda234

the white you see when he smiles is the tip of a sidewinder missile...billg

Guest RonB49

Hi Captain,Those numbers and runways sound right to me. Am I missing something? If the wind is 013 @ 12, that means it is blowing FROM 13 degrees (out of the North), so the best runway choice is 01 (running almos t due North). Likewise a wind reported as 60 degrees is FROM the Northeast and runway 04 runs Northeast. Have I completely misunderstood? R-EDIT -- Sorry for reanswering the question. A few minutes ago just the original post was displayed on my screen with no responses, now there are 10 or so. I don't know why that happened and don't recall it ever happening before. I'll go back into my cave now. R-