Sign in to follow this  

How do you pronounce VISCOUNT?

Guest Dominik Mann

Yeah, it's kind of a dumb question, but I was just checking back on the state of Rick Piper's new Viscounts :-shy . FS's ATC seems to be saying "WIS-count", as in "Wisconsin", but my dictionary gives the correct pronunciation as "WYE-count".Anybody able to help a Viscountophile out? :-)(EDIT: I forgot this forum does not like quotation marks in the subject line *ILK* ...! )

Guest Matt Johnson

"Vie-count", shurely?--M

Guest mikehaska

Right on, Matt. I used to go to a school named Viscount Bennett, and it was pronounced "Vie-Count".Of course, if you go to the store, and use a coupon to get a discount, you don't prononce it "Die-Count", do you? :-)

Guest Matt Johnson

:-lol Hell no. :) "Diss-count" all the way. --M

Hi GuysThats VI - COUNT, as in VIOLET.Hey take from a Brit it was our Aircraft.RegardsPeter.

Guest Dominik Mann

Thanks, people - see what we can expect from a Yank sim? :( ;-) :-lol

Guest Martin

Well, the pronounciation of the Swedish city J

Guest The Ancient Brit

Peter has put it in a nutshell, Vi-Count as in Violet.In 1967, I joined what was then the British Aircraft Corporation, Weybridge, but the plant had previously been the Vickers-Armstrong plant. When I joined, the Viscounts were no longer being built at Weybridge since most of the production had been moved to Hurn, the sister plant of Weybridge. Vi-count was the pronunciation used at Weybridge.Plenty of Viscount machining was being done at Weybridge before being sent to Hurn for assembly. I can remember some skin panels with what I have always regarded as one of the most the attractive looking features of the Viscount, the passenger windows. The shape of those windows, known as the Weybridge Oval, was one of the many elegant features of the Viscount.Denis. The Ancient Brit.

Guest The Ancient Brit

Martin,God forbid that an airport be built at a town six miles from where in I live in North Wales. I imagine its name might cause some difficulties to anyone unable to speak Welsh (Cymraeg).The name?Try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.I kid you not.Denis. The Ancient Brit.

Guest Martin

That's easy: Llanfair PG - right?Actually, I remember this name from our school English textbooks probably five years ago or so... :-)How long does it take to pronounce for someone who's fluent in Welch?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest Dominik Mann

Anybody up to posting that Welsh town name in phonetical spelling? :( :D ;-)Yes, I AM curious how it should be pronounced! ;-)

Guest The Ancient Brit

Martin,You are quite right. The Welsh only use the full form when they wish to intimidate us Saesnegs (English) who not being bi-lingual, they regard as semi-literate. It takes a Welsh speaker about three times as long as would take you to say

I had the pleasure of flying in both the Viscount (VI COUNT is the correct pronounciation) as well as the Vanguard version as a child. I do remember those big, big windows which were wonderful for watching the world go by. Air Canada flew them from my hometown of London (CYXU) to both Toronto and Cleveland. We flew them several times at the start of longer trips. They were very elegant birds with their old Air Canada liveries with the black anti-glare paint under the windshield. Great planes.

BTW, Is there a Vickers Vanguard available for FS 2002? I do have a great Viscount. But a Vanguard would make a great addition. Those RR Tyne engines had a very distinctive and fairly quiet sound. (definitely stage III)When I was a kid a had a chance to see the cockpits of both the Viscount of Austrian Airlines as well as the cockpit of a BEA Vanguard (huge cockpit). Actually saw 'The Beatles' live, as they arrived in Salzburg once in a Viscount.