Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Water - my recommendations

>I've noticed this effect on a few occasions(not always )and>put it down to the fact that as the water surface reflects a>lighter( or darker) sky the software gradually changes the>color block by blockThe situation I am experiencing may be different. I have a checkerboard of light and dark water textures for at least 10-15 minutes. This just destroys dawn (and probably dusk) flights over or near water.

Guest Galant VR4

Wow thanks for posting this info Cruachan!! I just did this water upgrade and it looks great. It almost looks like real water when the sun hits it just right. All I can do now is fly around at dawn and dusk over water.ThanksGalant VR4

Galant, I assume that if you can enjoy flying at dawn and dusk over water that you haven't encountered the checkerboard water texture problem and that it therefore may not in fact be a bug in FS 2004. How about posting the Display preferences you are using for the Scenery and Hardware tabs and any other video settings or configurations you think might be relevant. It will be much appreciated. Thanks.>Wow thanks for posting this info Cruachan!! I just did this>water upgrade and it looks great. It almost looks like real>water when the sun hits it just right. All I can do now is fly>around at dawn and dusk over water.>>>Thanks>Galant VR4

Guest Galant VR4

Hey Macwino I just set all my tabs in FS9 to max. I have all boxes checked except for the "Anti-aliasing" box. I have water effects set to max and Terrain detail set to land only. I hope this helps. I did notice two "boxes" in the water when I first started the sim, but they go away after about 30 seconds.Galant VR4

Well, Galant, my settings - at least on the 3GHz machine - essentially mirror yours so I guess this isn't an FS 2004 bug even though it happens on my two machines. The machines pretty much duplicate each other in overall content as well as the specific FS 2004 setup, so there must be some add-on to FS 2004 that I have and you don't that is causing this, or some cfg setting that I use and you don't. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with FS 2004 at all, and is being caused by something else in my machines' setup. I'll just have to keep experimenting and see if I can find the cause. Thanks for letting me know your settings.

Guest Galant VR4

Hey Macwino if this means anything the only addons I have right now are a few opensky 747's and I have not yet messed with the FS9 cfg yet because I just installed FS9 on my new machine. My FS9 is basically stock as of right now. Maybe this has somethng to do with it. Like I said though I do get 2 syares in the water when I first start the flight, but after about 30 seconds they go away. I hope this helps some. Also Im using an ATI Radeon 9800 XT with the 3.9 drivers.Galant VR4

Guest southie4

Very nice! Will have to try all that when I upgrade my system in a couple of months. Reflections are not possible presently.Thanks,RobertPIII 1 ghz, 512 dram, 64 meg Radeon 7200 graphic card, Intel mobo/815 chipset,80 gig Western 7200 hd,Win Me, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

"Very nice! Will have to try all that when I upgrade my systemin a couple of months. Reflections are not possiblepresently."Robert and anyone else in the same boat, even though reflections are not an option, you get a better looking water using these files. I have 2 PCs set up with FS9, my internet system and my gaming rig. the internet one has a Radeon 7200, not DX9 compatable, yet the new water looks amazing with the new animations from the OCEANTX.zip and OCEANSFX.zip (need the other zip to install them), much more realistic that the defaultRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest crabster

Awesome. it amazes me what can be done with this sim. Here is a example, for some reason the pic is a little dark and quality looked much better in the sim. This is over Pugent sound at 1630hrs 12/8/2003.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52025.jpg

Galant, I've got anything but a stock installation. I've got over 20 GB of stuff in my setup so figuring out just what might be causing this problem will not be easy. I may just let it go and spend the time flying - albeit not at dusk or dawn.

Uh oh!I only have 11 env_*.bmp files in my WorldTexture folder. I think I may have accidently deleted 2 of the default textures when I messed with the water last month. Does anyone know which ones I'm missing....Marc

Hi Marc,Does this help?env_dawn.bmpenv_dusk.bmpenv_highmoon.bmpenv_highnoon.bmpenv_lowmoon.bmpenv_lowsun.bmpenv_midsun.bmpenv_midsungood.bmpenv_midsunlast.bmpenv_newmoon.bmpenv_overcast.bmpenv_postdusk.bmpenv_predawn.bmpMike

Water has never looked better, but now i get stutters, and my fps jumps from an earlier rocksolid 30 fps all the way down to 6 for just a fraction of a sec.Any ideas to what could be causing this, im using fsscene fall also in FS9, dont know if that could be a conflict.DEll83003000mhz with 800mhz fsbradeon9800 128mbOHN

Well the stuttering is now gone and my good fps are back, just needed a reboot. OHN