Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Water - my recommendations

Hi Michal and Mike,Thanks for clarifying this - I'm in good shape.The "midsungood" and "midsunlast" .bmps were draft files that were accidentally included in Bill Lyons' first version - they are not default files. Glad to know I didn't get too happy with my Del key.Thanks,Marc

I must have "render to texture" enabled or I get CTDs after applying these textures....anyone else encountered this or is it some combo of this water with the new detonator 53.03s, which I also installed recently? I flew a couple of times with the 53.03s before doing the water without incident, so I'm suspecting the water, but... I don't really want "render to texture" enabled because of the 2D cockpit and cloud flickers...Any ideas?Thanks,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest DanielBu

I think that's due to the dxt textures. Make sure you are only using 32bit ones. I'm afraid that excludes the textures made by Bill Lyons.(Unless you convert them to 32 bits that is).-Daniel

Ah ha! I knew someone here could point to a culprit. Thanks for the info.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest Spiffae

I might be a little late to this party, but i'm having some trouble getting this amazing water working properly on my computer. I installed everything, did everything that i should do, but every time i open my OceanFX shortcut, everything is set to "default" again, no matter what i set it to last time. Maybe that's normal.In-game, my water looks very nice, but i have no wind or swells. There's a static, unmoving texture underneath the shiny rippling waves, and the shiny waves don't move either, they just seem to undulate, essentially popping in and out. here's a screen shot of it running after i set the wind and waves, leaving the seafloor to "default".The pattern you see under the shiny waves does not move. nor do the shiny waves, they just pulse in and out.any help?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/53068.jpg (if the image doesn't show)

Hi Spiffae,From your description, I think what you are observing is quite normal and this is about as good as it gets in the sim at the moment.As far as reverting to 'defaults' in OceanFX 2 - 2004 is concerned, again this is normal initialization behaviour of this module. It does NOT mean, however, that any texture installations you may have made in FS2004 using this 'front-end' have reverted back to defaults, so relax and enjoy ;)Mike :-wave

Guest DanielBu

If you prefer Ed Turkey's (sorry :Truthan's) animated waves over the refracting ones, just turn water effects to medium or low in FS9.-Daniel

Guest Spiffae

ok, so swells and wind actually don't move laterally across the surface of the water, even when this setup is working correctly?If that's the case, well then i'm all set.

Guest Jorge Antunes

Hi Mike, and all FS fans.I'he formatted my pc some time ago and before that I'd Mike's suggestions installed.However, some months have gone past and I was wondering if Mike's suggestions still were the best configuration, or if it should be update with never and /or other files that have been released.Best regards,Jorge Antunes

Hi Jorge,Like most things it's a matter of taste. You'll hear arguments for and against any selection of water textures, and, as you are probably aware, many have been released for our pleasure. All I can say is that I have tried most and have yet to find an all round combination that beats my recommended combo.....but then I suppose my opinion would be considered as being a little biased ;)Don't fight it...reinstall the combo and be happy! I am :)Mike

Hi,How do you convert dxt textures to 32bit ones, is there a program for it or how is it done?

Richard Åsberg

Thanks, I'll have a look at that program. Is it easy to understand how to convert the textures using this program because I have no experience from these kind of things before.

Richard Åsberg

Guest KFD

Interesting thread but everytime I click on the attachments to look at the image I get ths: The page you requested cannot be displayed.Missing Attachment The attachment you requested is no longer available. It may have been deleted by the forum administrator. If you have any questions, please contact the site administrator. Click here to go back to the previous page. Any ideas??Kev