Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

COF won't give me higher screen resolutions

Guest Persephone

I have an 800mgz celleron 256 meg ram 11 meg video computer. I got COF hoping I could enjoy traffic at uncontrolled airports and the enhanced ATC features. I knew with my system that most of the visual features wouldn't get any better than what I have with FS2002.Well, I got COF today. It would be a pretty cool simulator even with most of the sliders over to the left. Except, I can't get the higher resolutions. All that's offered is 800X600. With FS2002, I could go 1024X(whatever). Those pixels on 800X600 make numbers hard to read. It's definitely a downward departure from FS2002. And I was afraid that would happen. Is there anyway to force COF to give me those higher resolutions? My card supports it. At least it did with FS2002.I can't afford to upgrade, so that suggestion won't help. Thanks anyway. Any other ideas anyone?Persephone

Guest kilo_sierra17

I think you might be hooped with a 11MB video card, are you running DX 9?

Guest Persephone

Yes, I have DX9. What do you mean "hooped?"

Guest mrblutarsky

What kind of video card to you have, exactly? That could be the determining factor. Also, what monitor do you have, that is, what size? That could also limit the resolution.

Guest Jimbofly

It means that you're being restricted with that video card. I hate to say it but I'm surprised FS2004 is actually running at all with that setup.I don't mean to bag your system, but the reality is that you need to at least upgrade your video card if you want to get any enjoyment out of flight simulator 2004!James

Guest Persephone

My card is an onboard Intel 82810e. The monitor is a 13".The thing is that I could get higher screen resolutions with FS2K2. Why not COF?

Guest RonB49

If it worked at 1024 in Fs2002, then it will likely work in COF.MSFS seems to look at your system and determines what resolutions it believes that your PC can support. Sometimes it is wrong. You can go into the config file (FS9.cfg), locate the line which sets your resolution, and change it. The good news is that this will allow you to increase the resolution. The bad news is that if you go to Options>Settings>Display during you flight sim session, when you return to your flight you will be back at the lower res. Then you must edit FS9.cfg again before the next session.R-

Check to be sure you are using 1024x768x16 and not 1024x768x32. 16-bit color will run better on that video chip and there isn't any real difference in how FS9 looks between that and 32-bit color.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Persephone

I can't find any FS9.cfg file anywhere in the COF folder. Could it be anywhere else? If it isn't there, could that be the problem, cause, I found out that COF can't find my modem either. That's really offensive. I have a cable modem. It's the best thing on my computer. You think COF would notice. :-)

Guest mrblutarsky

If you have a 13" monitor, the higher resolutions are not going to be available simply because you can only squeeze so much into a 13" screen. The system hardware, I believe, is going to dictate what you can show with your vid card.

Guest RonB49

>I can't find any FS9.cfg file anywhere in the COF folder. >Could it be anywhere else? If it isn't there, could that be>the problem, cause, I found out that COF can't find my modem>either. That's really offensive. I have a cable modem. It's>the best thing on my computer. You think COF would notice.>:-)>>What operating system are you running? In WinXP the FS9.cfg file is in "Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFS9"If you are not running XP, I think you'll find the answer in the Tips and Tricks forum. I don't have an answer on the MODEM problem. R-