Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

How do you disable the PSS A340 Autopilot?

In flying the new PSS A340, the first time I noticed my problem was in a FMC controlled flight. When I reached my destination which was a SimFlyers airport, I discovered that I was going to have to make a backcouse, not Glide Slope approach (a common occurance at some SimFlight runways) and found that I could not find a way to disengage the autopilot. It held the present heading and my yoke and foot pedals had no effect (As is correct as I understand when the A340 Autopilot is engaged.) No combination of actions on my part would disengage the autopilot.At first, I thought this problem was unique to FMC applications.Yesterday, I was flying with Autopilot control of the A340 without use of the FMC at all. I had the same thing happen.I have tried to intentionally induce this problem without success. When I try, I have activated all autopilot buttons both ways (Pressed and pulled), been able to disengage and fly manually, intentionally created an overspeed condition and everything else I can think of and not been able to duplicate the problem. It occurs at random times on its own, and when it occurs, I cannot solve the problem any way except to change aircraft and start over.Anybody else seeing this happen, and if so, what is the solution?Thanks:RTH

The A340 autopilot is turned on and off with a left click to the AP1 or AP2 button on the panel. If the autopilot was turned on, and has it's light on, a left-click should produce a click noise and turn the autopilot (and it's light) off. Is the light turning off for you?If it is, and you STILL don't have control authority, check your joystick/yoke/pedals. I have yet to experience a complete loss of control with the aircraft (or any other), and can only think that it would be the controls themselves. I've heard that some controls with Windows XP "forget" they are plugged in. Try cycling the plugs on your controllers... if they are close at hand.Of course, if you can't get the light to turn off - that is another issue better left for the PSS forum.-Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg:The lights go off, and my yoke and/or Joystick are still being recoginized. Keyboard commands for flight control have no effect either.As pretty much expected, PSS had nothing to offer either and simply said to press AP1. I have pressed everything I can think of, but can gain no flight control of the aircraft once this situation occurs.Being that it is only me that seems to have seen this occur, it is probably just me. Possibly the new patch will solve the problem.Thanks again.RTH

Thanks Johan:Will try as you suggested.It will take a while to tell if it changes anything as the problem occurs at random times and everything works normally most of the time. (The old bit of every time you take your car in for repairs, the malfunction will not show its face). I have tried to induce the lack of flight control problem and cannot do it intentially.Thanks again.RTH