Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Using ATC instructions for VOR/DME approach?

I have just tried out the new ATC of FS2004 for the first time -- I selected a VOR/DME approach for a runway that was almost straight-in from my approach direction. From the approach plate that I have, it seems that I should have been vectored into the airport on a certain track and then slowly dropped down from about 10 miles out. In fact, the VOR/DME approach procedure was described as the :Runway14, Vor/DME 10 mile approach: by ATC. However, I found that ATC just kept me going at a height of 2500 until only 3 miles before the airport. Anybody else experienced this kind of thing ?Thanks Barry

Once you are cleared for the approach, you are allowed to descend down per the approach plates. Don't expect ATC to tell you to descend each time. ;)

Barry, the other poster is correct. You wont receive altitude vectors for the actual approach. Real life ATC assumes you have the plate in hand, know how to read it, and have briefed yourself before beginning the sequence. Usually all the vectors you will get will be to the initial approach fix, sometimes right outside the final (or "gate" I think is the term ATC uses) on an ILS approach.Craig

Right - thanks for that . I will try again. My problem was that I was following the approach plate -- but ATC wouldn't let me descend. Kept telling me to maintain assigned altitude.Barry

That is quite weird then. If I have time I will fly an approach tonight or tomorrow. What approach is it, if I may ask? Maybe its just that one approach? And you are in OZ also, right? I wouldnt know how to get ahold of australian approaches. Maybe you could email it to me if its in electronic format, or scan it? Id like to try it out myself.Craig

It is the Santa Monica approach. Depending on what weather theme I select, obviously, the runway assigned is different from one theme to another. This happened to me twice -- and then , when using another weather theme , another runway was assigned and the problem did not happen. I guess it all boils down to the fact that the ATC is not perfect..Thanks Barry