Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

Video Card Help

Guest speedbird326

Hey all,I'm looking for a new video card for my PC upgrading from a GeForce4 MX420. I'm looking at the ATI Radeon 9000,9200,and 9600 series. I decided I don't want to spend the $$$ on the 9800 now... Anybody who has any of those have any recommendations on one best for FS? I definitely want to be able to see the new water effects in FS9 and have decent FPS. Any opinions please reply!Thanks!MarcMarc Gibson

Guest james_2k

hi marc, in my opinion you should look around on ebay and pick up a 9700pro, the difference between it and the 9600 and below is quite large UNLIKE the 9700 -> 9800 difference, yes i am biased as i have one but the benchmarks show that even the new 9600 XT is a lot slower than the 9700pro. just my 2 cents, James

Guest Glaudrung

The only real way to go is to aim as high as possible.Now, to go from your Mx420, the 9600 is one hell of a way up so I can really recommend the ATI 9600pro.I was until today a real fan of the G4 but after installing the ATI 9800pro I can only say WWWWOOOOOWWWW.No, I didn't get any extra framerates but AA is working great, even with a bunch of clouds in front of the airplane and that was by no means possible with my G4 5600.It has cost me an arm and a leg but worth every cent so far.Even the difficult airplanes like the PMDG and the PSS a330 are running ever so smooth.No, go for the ATI and go as far as funds permit...Luc 'Glaudrung' BrusselmansBelgium

Guest speedbird326

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input, I'll look into both of those cards a bit more. Thanks,MarcMarc Gibson

Guest jase439

Just dropped a 9800XT Pro (upgraded from a GF4 4400) - and this thing cuts through FS2K4 clouds like butter. Doesn't even sneeze at them. That may be more card than you want to spend - but the 9800 Pro 128MB has near the same specs and about half the price (around $250 US I think)

Marc, I just upgraded this last week from a MSI GF3 Ti200 to a ATI 9800/non pro card. I Figured I got the most "BANG FOR THE BUCK". The ATI 9800 was on sale at Circuit City in the USA for $199.95, the ATI 9700 Pro which is only slightly faster was 279.95 on sale and the ATI 9800 Pro was 299.95. I don't regret going with the less expensive card. FS2004 2D panels that previously I could only get max of 10-11 FPS can now run at 35 FPS plus in heavy thunderstorms with the rain blowing off the windshield and 18-21 at high detail airports on the ground..... I can now use all my favorite 3rd party panels in FS2004, had been restricted to the default VC panels prior to this upgrade due the low FPS with all other panels..... 3D NARK 2001 SE benchmarks went from 7800 to 12500 with no tweaks or over clocking in place "YET" !!! ..... Saw no change in image quality but was happy with than anyway... Running FS2004 in 1600x1200/32 all sliders maxed but AI which is at 50%.... Very happy now ....JayDubAMD 2400XPWindows XP home1024MB DDR RAMATI Radeon 9800