Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Wildly Shifting Winds at FL350...

Guest abent

I just experienced the most radical almost 180 degree shift in winds sending my crj into hyperoverspeed. :-eek I use downloaded 'static' weather and winds aloft from the FS weather menu. My plane was bashed around badly. The winds kept shifting from one direction to another. The plane was unflyable.According to FSUIPC the winds within FS cannot be 'tamed' by FSUIPC. Is there any cure for this crazy behavior other than just using custom weather or weather themes. I like having real world winds aloft.Thanks, Adam

Adam, A big problem in FS9...I have the latest FSMeteo build and it doesn't fix it. I also have Active Sky wxre 1.92, it's a little better but not fixed. The new build of Active Sky 2 (payware, a good wx program, due out in December) is supposed to fix it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The irony of FS9 is that is was supposed to "smooth" weather transitions for more realism, and while the weather engine is much improved, it in fact does the opposite....regards,

Guest abent

Hey thanks Chris. It's too bad. I ran ActiveSky in FS2002. I plan to pick up AS2 when it's released. So, my fingers are crossed too!I had had several flights with FS downloaded weather and nothing out of the ordinary other than some turbulence, but this was insane. Guess it's back to weather themes, custom weather or downloaded wx with no winds aloft. Kind of a shame as I just got the kneeboard all set up with vpn and all 'was' working so well together.Adam

In a way I'm pleased you have these problems Adam because I thought it was FS Meteo which I use like Chris.However I wonder if it is a fault in FS or a fault in the data?On numerous occasions with FS Meteo I have seen strange winds, such as FL290 winds 270@50kts, FL340 winds 290@400kts, FL390 winds 280@62kts.I can't remember the exact FL intervals FS Meteo reports winds but the above example give the idea. Reasonable winds at 2 levels with a 400kt wind in between which can't be correct.At first I thought it was FS Meteo but now I am beginning to think it is probably bad data coming from the servers used to get 'real' weather from.

This has been one of my main quests for the last 4 months. I have corresponded with the producers of FSMeteo, FSUIPC and many others. In summary this is what I have learned.Previous versions of FS which were able to utilize upperlevel winds did so through the use of external sources (i.e. FSMeteo). This wind information was gathered from sources outside of FS. Because of this, these external programs were able to control the 'bad' data and also provided an average wind for the immediate vicinity by using only 3 reporting points. Thus, we (users) had only a few sources, (3), to utilize and on top of that we could manipulate it prior to injecting it into FS.Now, with FS9 what happens is that the actual fs9.exe processes these sources itself, NOT any of the external programs. What the external programs can do (at this point in time) is only inject upper level winds into the reporting points - thats it. What the problem is, is that the way that FS9 utilizes this info is totally insane. Instead of the 3 stations - it is now above 35 (actually we dont even know the upper limit), instead of averaging we have no idea, I mean literally no idea what the internal algorythm is doing, or even where to find the hooks for it.Two things are in complete consensus; 1) The internal upper wind programming in FS9 is broken - self evident, period (that fact that there has not even been a comment from the FS developers much less a patch for this problem boggles my mind, when compared with other sim programs)2) Add on programs that provide real world upper level winds at the correct stations have no hope of helping with this issue. Some developers have stated the the real wx data from the FS9 downloader is actually pretty good. Again it is the FS9 internal processing of this that is the problem.What can be done? As I understand it, several folks have talked about highly 'pre processing' the upper winds info in such a way as to force an averaging effect. For example, collect upper wind levels for 45 immediate stations. Then the external program averages these into 3 nodes (like cutting a full pie into thirds). Then, ALL the stations within that sector (again, 3 sectors) are provided with this single average value. THEN these averages are injected into FS9, all 45 stations, each third of which will have single values. Hopefully, then regardless of the pyschotic gyrations that FS9 does internally, it will have only 3 values to deal with.How is that working out? I am not sure as I am not beta testing at the moment (otherwise I would not be allowed to post this type of thing). But, that is the long and the short of it as I understand it.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest abent

Thanks Mike for that excellent, if not somewhat depressing, explanation. This does not bode well for upcoming add-ons, specifically a major release in the near future. I wonder if the developers of (not said) product will be able to overcome this limitation in FS. I'd hate to think we could not have realistic winds aloft in this sim without worrying about having our wings torn off in the process. Hopefully brilliant developers will be able to implement some process as you describe.Vulcan, It came as a surprise to me because I had had several flights that seemed to work perfectly. Now I'm afraid to used d/l winds aloft as I don't want to get an hour into a flight and have my plane unrealistically bounced all over the sky - steals the enjoyment of an otherwise great flight.Other than this, I've really been enjoying COF with access to weather and airport info through the kneeboard (thanks vpn), a great plane(Posky crj) and Marco's panel etc and otherwise really believable weather systems.Thanks again, Adam

Guest Clipper747

I have turned off "download winds aloft" in the options menu, but I still get these wildly erratic shifting winds. Like you, it sends my aircraft into overspeed.......very frustrating....Paul

Guest dogknot

Reduce your fluctuations by setting the TurbulenceScale value in FS9.CFG to a lower value (0.2 is suggested by several users). Sure helped tame the buffeting from upper winds in FS2002 and has worked so far for me in FS9.Look under the Weather headingTurbulenceScale=0.200000

Guest Clipper747

Thanks for the tip Brent - I will give your suggestion a try......Paul