Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Magnetic variation updates for FS9 and FSX!

I have been battling the infamous magdec.bgl drift for many months. Thanks for this! :(

Will you include this in the ngx package ryan,for example in the installer give an option "do you want to update FSX magnetic update"Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Will you include this in the ngx package ryan,for example in the installer give an option "do you want to update FSX magnetic update"Alex
Doubt it mate...Its not their creation so they wouldn'tBut its easy just to download and replace the old one... :) Why wait for the NGX to come with it when you can get it now?

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

FS never stops to awe, Thanks Ryan, one more question, is it true that your simulated ADIRUs in the NGX have its own variation data ?

It's not our file so no, I'll see if we can mention it in the manual or something though.
FS never stops to awe, Thanks Ryan, one more question, is it true that your simulated ADIRUs in the NGX have its own variation data ?
The FMC does some pretty advanced calculations with respect to all of this, yes. You can fly the NGX over the poles, above 72N etc without issue.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'm not sure how I never knew about this, but someone created new magdec.bgl files for both FS9 and FSX that update both sims to the latest real world variation data. If you've ever wondered why the extended runway centerline on the ND doesn't line up with the waypoints of the approach - this is the reason. Both sims have old magnetic variation data while the positions of waypoints in the navdata are calculated using the current variation data.Download it here at the upper left and read the instructions - I'm using the 2010 files now for both sims and the stuff on the ND is way closer to how it should be now.http://hsors.pagespe...fr/navaids.htmlKudos to whoever did this!
Ryan,Now that you have discovered the site of Herve, maybe this thread is of more interest now to you and the team.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/320849-md-11-vor-course-on-nd/page__p__1931485__hl__budee__fromsearch__1#entry1931485As stated, for me not only MagVar, but also other items on this site, permitted me to change FSX in a way so as to make the ND of your MD11 behave more like the real thing.It also resolved the VOR TRACK mode.As the runway alignment is taken from the NavData base (WPNavApt) , it would be even better for the presentation if these data (RwyHdg) were correct.Why this doubt?Reference: NACO Approach chart KMEM ILS/LOC RWY09 gives an ILS course 091. The same is derived from the Navigraph NavData file of course, as it is an official figure.Looking at the KMEM Airport Diagram we see that the Magnetic Variation is indicating Januari 2010.Based on this, the Magnetic Runway heading (092.6) is shown at rwy09.As the ILS is not offset, I would expect an ILS frontcourse of 093.Also the radial GQE to BUDEE (shown as R137) is different from what an FMS and other programmes on the mentioned site calculate. (R141)Likewise, using an FMS Fix page to draw published radials over a missed-approach holding point,are offset.Well, knowing this I read the official charts differently at least.For me, several programmes on this site, including the warnings given, worked to improve the ND presentation as seen on the real plane.Highly recommended, including warnings!Other good thing is:The MD11 does not need an update..... -for this one- ..., cause external data (FSX and NavData) are involved.Regards,Harry

Thanks for the link Ryan. I just installed the updated magvar database and have a question. I just recently (after the magvar update) did a couple of touch and go's at Aerosoft Mega Airport Stockholm-Arlanda in the 747X and found that when loading the aircraft on the active runway (in this case 01L) and without touching anything the aircraft was misaligned to the runway on the ND, but centered perfectly as far as I could see. The heading when loaded was 007 but the ILS heading is 005. When turning the heading knob to 005 the magenta heading bug aligned perfectly with the runway and extended (dotted) centerline on the ND. When checking the ILS heading in AFX the ILS was at 011 degrees. Has this anything to do with the magvar update? Could I just change the heading of the ILS in AFX to 005 or would this cause an offset? EDIT: I just checked the runway true heading in AFX and it is 11 degrees as well, so I presume, that without touching anything, I will have a correctly aligned ILS to the runway. But I noticed a strange thing in Navigraph, before updating the airport charts the heading of ILS01L was 006, but after the update 005. Can anyone explain this?Thanks in advance

Many thanks to Hors for taking the time to develop this "fix", and for Tabs for bringing his work to our attention. I have just recently started to notice the runway centerline being offset from the majority of my approaches, which are based on up to date Navigraph data, but I thought this was a limitation of flightsim that could not be fixed, I'm happy to see this addressed finally!

Thanks for the link Ryan. I just installed the updated magvar database and have a question. I just recently (after the magvar update) did a couple of touch and go's at Aerosoft Mega Airport Stockholm-Arlanda in the 747X and found that when loading the aircraft on the active runway (in this case 01L) and without touching anything the aircraft was misaligned to the runway on the ND, but centered perfectly as far as I could see. The heading when loaded was 007 but the ILS heading is 005. When turning the heading knob to 005 the magenta heading bug aligned perfectly with the runway and extended (dotted) centerline on the ND. When checking the ILS heading in AFX the ILS was at 011 degrees. Has this anything to do with the magvar update? Could I just change the heading of the ILS in AFX to 005 or would this cause an offset? EDIT: I just checked the runway true heading in AFX and it is 11 degrees as well, so I presume, that without touching anything, I will have a correctly aligned ILS to the runway. But I noticed a strange thing in Navigraph, before updating the airport charts the heading of ILS01L was 006, but after the update 005. Can anyone explain this?
I think everything here is normal and you shouldn't worry about it. In FSX (default scenery) the true 01L runway heading in Arlanda is 010.4° and 2010 magnetic variation is E4.8° so the FSX runway magnetic heading is 005.6°. This value is ok (Jepp charts and Navigraph data indicate 005° and a MV of 5°E). ILS heading in AFX is a TRUE value (as runway heading), so do not change it to 005° - 10.4° is correct. Now there could be a problem with the scenery you use I do not have. Also do not expect to have a perfectly centered ILS when using the FS start positions. Usually the heading is correct, but there is often a small lateral offset from runway center line. Enough to have a 1-2 dots localizer deviation, considering the localizer antenna is very close. Finally it is likely that the latest Navigraph release has updated the ILS course by 1°. Jepp charts for ESSA have been updated in Feb-April 2011 and foot-note changes are: Var, Rwy bearings.Hope it will helpHervé

It's not our file so no, I'll see if we can mention it in the manual or something though.The FMC does some pretty advanced calculations with respect to all of this, yes. You can fly the NGX over the poles, above 72N etc without issue.
The Australian Government currently uses an A319 or A310 (can't remember which) to fly scientists, etc to a base in Antarctica from Tasmania (Australia's southern-most state) on a regular basis. It would be interesting to try this flight in the NGX! I have the scenery for this base. Nothing flash, but it's a challenging landing when the sky is cloudy and the snow is also white, meaning you can't get a visual reference of the horizon.

IS there anything bad that can come from installing this mag variation patch?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No, just backup the original. And if anything gets messed up, just revert. I can tell you it works great!

I think everything here is normal and you shouldn't worry about it. In FSX (default scenery) the true 01L runway heading in Arlanda is 010.4° and 2010 magnetic variation is E4.8° so the FSX runway magnetic heading is 005.6°. This value is ok (Jepp charts and Navigraph data indicate 005° and a MV of 5°E). ILS heading in AFX is a TRUE value (as runway heading), so do not change it to 005° - 10.4° is correct. Now there could be a problem with the scenery you use I do not have. Also do not expect to have a perfectly centered ILS when using the FS start positions. Usually the heading is correct, but there is often a small lateral offset from runway center line. Enough to have a 1-2 dots localizer deviation, considering the localizer antenna is very close. Finally it is likely that the latest Navigraph release has updated the ILS course by 1°. Jepp charts for ESSA have been updated in Feb-April 2011 and foot-note changes are: Var, Rwy bearings.Hope it will helpHervé
Thank you Hervé! That answered all my questions nicely.

Thanks!!! Very useful ...Installed!

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

It breaks ILS course IIRC.Best regards,Robin.