Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Magnetic variation updates for FS9 and FSX!

It breaks ILS course IIRC.Best regards,Robin.
Don't think it does. As Hervé stated earlier, ILS courses are in True heading, so the Magvar update might things like ND-track a little misaligned (probably not though if the airport is done correctly).If you look at my earlier question most of my "problems" were either because I confused Tru with Mag or because the airplane wasn't perfectly aligned with the centerline on startup. Since then I have performed plenty of touch and go's but most importantly 2 successful autolands at ESSA.

It breaks ILS course IIRC.Best regards,Robin.
No, it does not break the ILS course.FSX is outdated regarding MagVar, that is if you use current approach charts and latest AIRAC files.In FS. the runways are aligned to true north, the local variation gives the correct runway heading on any ND.So what Tabs means is that the graphical runway alignment (and extended centerline) will be better aligned if using the Magdec.bgl he found on the site of Herve Sors. Unless offset, all ILS'es are fixed to the runway centerline. (be it real or FS).If realtime magnetic variation is applied to official charts (mostly once every 5 years), part of this operation is to change the ILS course as well if needed. (Do not see this at the NOAA charts however, read my thread above). Runway re-numbering is another possible item involved. Now, if your intention is to fly any airplane A to B by FMS and get you captured by the ILS, then you'r done, be happy with the resulting landing.Is there more we should know? Might be.Ever wondered why VOR needles on the ND did not indicate direct to a station?Ever wondered why VOR track mode on the MD11 was in between the MAP dotted line and the VOR CDI presentation?Same reason as the runway alignment being solved by a recent MagVar update.Still interested?VOR's (except a few oriented True North) have there reference to magnetic north.FS.'s VOR's are referenced to the default FS. magnetic variation.(declination if you want).Replacing the Magdec.bgl in FS. does not correct the VOR operation.What you could do, if you like:Read what is avail on the site of Herve. EasyNavs is a possible option to tweak your FSX installation so as to get it as real as it gets. Worked for me, MD11 freak.(real and FS that is)On to the little workhorse NGX, FSX will be the same default, or can be adapted to more real data by using info provided on the site of Herve Sors.Regards,Harry

Awesome... another thing I've always been looking for, but sometimes you just don't use the right keywords... ;-)

- Stefan Dittrich

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Still interested?VOR's (except a few oriented True North) have there reference to magnetic north.FS.'s VOR's are referenced to the default FS. magnetic variation.(declination if you want).Replacing the Magdec.bgl in FS. does not correct the VOR operation.What you could do, if you like:Read what is avail on the site of Herve. EasyNavs is a possible option to tweak your FSX installation so as to get it as real as it gets. Worked for me, MD11 freak.(real and FS that is)Harry
Harry,How do you correct the vors with easynavs ?I downloaded the program but then got confused and figured I'd better ask here before I screw up stuff.ThanksVic

Harry,How do you correct the vors with easynavs ?I downloaded the program but then got confused and figured I'd better ask here before I screw up stuff.ThanksVic
Well, not the answer to your question, but maybe an answer to your problem:Why don't you just download the whole 1105 update-pack (on the same website)? That will correct every VOR in FSX that needs correcting ;-)

- Stefan Dittrich

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Done!
Ryan, thanks. You are the "PMDG" of customer service. Hmmm, somthing strange about that analogy...

Well, not the answer to your question, but maybe an answer to your problem:Why don't you just download the whole 1105 update-pack (on the same website)? That will correct every VOR in FSX that needs correcting ;-)
As documented, it only corrects 4 of the possible 96 scenery areas.Still a great performance made possible by Herve.Regards,Harry

Thanks Sayuuk !

As documented, it only corrects 4 of the possible 96 scenery areas.Still a great performance made possible by Herve.Regards,Harry
Harry, Could you please tell me how you fix the other 92 scenery areas with easynavs ?ThanksVic

The FS9 version states : These updates are for FS9 only. Except the Western Europe package that corrects all ILS, the other "Region" files only correct VORs and NDBs.So this package isn't all that great then, is it , as far ILS approaches go ? Hats off to the person who actually updated the globe to match the current AIRAC cycle. :( If only it covered all radio aids. Sigh! Still a big step up from the default magnetic variation that's donkeys years old.Cheers,

Hi all,Installed it as instructed but still for many airports problem seems not to be fixed.Approching these airports (for example LGTS or TNCM) I am not centerline on final approach and have to correct heading.I am using and older AIRAC cycle (8 months ago). Does this affect it?Anything I may miss out?Thanks,Christos

Some approaches have an offset localizer to the runway, which means it can be off by 5 or more degrees from the centerline on purpose, for terrain avoidance or noise abatement. I have noticed this in my localizer approaches to Melbourne YMML's runway 34, even the charts will note that there is an offset. Your best bet is to find an approach chart for the runway in question to verify if there is a offset path. I've also seen the offset in TNCM, but I'm not sure if that is intentional or a mistake in FSX or Navigraph's database.

Thanks Domingo,Nice to hear someone else's experience on this matter.I guess there is nothing more we can do about this now.Thanks,Christos

Hervé Sors has released another Navaids Update 1106 for FSX and FS2004 on his website.Vic

Harry, Could you please tell me how you fix the other 92 scenery areas with easynavs ?ThanksVic
Hallo Vic,It's not to me to write a step by step help file for a GREAT program made by Herve Sors.Learned to use it myself, by reading all available documentation (also for FS9) on his site and having a look at the way the Basic Scenery Grid is set-up in FSX.So just some hints:Google -Basic Scenery Grid- to find a grid diagram telling how scenery is setup on this globe.This link is ESP, but you will find the same grid in your installed SDK for FSX.NDB's and VOR's are stored in the NVXxxxxx.BGL files for every grid-block.With EasyNavs you can update these BGL's to the current MagVar value.Time consuming, but worth the time if you want correct VOR indications.Once more, credit to Herve Sors.Hope it helps,Harry

Hi all,Updated the magnetic deviation but still at many airports I am not coming down centerline following approach procedures.The approach line is in many cases to the right of the runway's correct centerline.Is this so or is there a problem? Thanks,Christos