Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Magnetic variation updates for FS9 and FSX!

I'm not sure what's wrong here but now my runways are completely off. Here in this picture you see I am lined up for 22R at JFK but the ILS shows that I am off.

maxpeRW.jpg

You probably flew an offset ILS

Thanks for this. Will check it out tonight.

I'm not sure what's wrong here but now my runways are completely off. Here in this picture you see I am lined up for 22R at JFK but the ILS shows that I am off.

maxpeRW.jpg

Is this the 2010 or the 2013 MAGVAR update?

I am asking because if i recall correctly, there are two "Mag...bgl" files within the "Magvar-Update" folders - one called 2010, the other 2013. I tried both and on my sim so far the "2010 files" worked better.

This i only my personal experience so far and i may easily be mistaken.

I also did not fly into JFK for ages, so i can't tell how the situation is there regarding the updated Magvar's.

Nevertheless i thought it worth mentioning.

Cheers, Christoph

This is a massive 'FS gotcha'

IRL the LOC for RWY 22R @ JFK is OFFSET & the Final Approach Course (FAC) crosses the Extended RWY Centreline 2152ft from the threshold.

The charted RWY HDG is 225 degrees, the charted FAC for the LOC is 222 degrees.

The MAGDEC file DOES NOT affect the position or the course of ANY NAVAIDs within the base FSX files or the same in any addon scenery layer a user installs above the base FSX layer.

Your picture shows you lines up on the extended RWY centreline with the LOC indication on the PFD offset to the right - as it should be.

Another common 'FS Gotcha' is your positioning of the MCP SPEED BUG right over the FMC computed VREF...under normal circumstances YOU the pilot add 5 kts to the FMC computed VREF to obtain your VAPP or Target Speed (a very relevant topic in itself ATM). Couple this with being under the Glide Slope indicator with Flap 40 set puts you behind the 'energy curve' (again a very relevant topic in itself ATM). 'Mr Boeing' was very clever in that regarding the PFD SPD Tape if you place the base of the magenta SPD BUG on the top of the green FMC computed VREF numbers you instantly have the 5 knots additive as used under normal conditions.

The Manuals that come with the product give more detail on additives to the FMC computed VREF due to windy/gusty conditions.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Your picture shows you lines up on the extended RWY centreline with the LOC indication on the PFD offset to the right - as it should be.

My Bad...

Your picture shows you lined up on or about the extended RWY centreline some distance back up the approach with the LOC indication on the PFD offset to the right - as it would indicate due to the offset nature of the LOC antenna.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

crosses the Extended RWY Centreline 2152ft from the threshold.

Where's that information published? I can't see it on the ILS chart which does show the difference between runway heading and approach course.

Where's that information published? I can't see it on the ILS chart which does show the difference between runway heading and approach course.

Granted that is correct - it is not published on the FAA chartage but if you use a well known internet search engine & search 'kjfk charts' you'll very quickly find the info.

Steve Bell

If it's not on the FAA charts where does Jeppesen gets its information from -  surely the FAA publishes it somewhere?

I can't get the original or the updated link a few posts up to work.   Fortunately, I have the original corrected file installed, but would love to get the 2013 file.

How about a right click on the link I posted a few posts back & open in new tab - then look on the right at the choice of options - click on the one relating to MAGDEC.

Just tried this & the link I am referring to works fine:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html

Steve Bell

Sorry, this link didn't work.   Not sure what the issue, as the link appears to work for some, I have never seen this kind of behavior for web links before.

Wow, I tried the 2 other browsers I have installed, and they all can't get to the page.  I'm all outta ideas, any chance someone could send to me via PM if it's allowed?

Ah, I found the issue. MalwareBytes was blocking the site. PHEW!  :good:

Okay, now that I have it working...

If there's a new AIRAC update, do you just install over the old one?