Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob Z

help with crashes to desktop

Hi all, I have been running FS2004 on a 1.4mhz w/ 512 ram, GF4 TI-4200 ona WinXP Pro system. All of a sudden I am getting a crash to desktop when I am approaching a airport. I beleive it is related to ATC because yesterday it happned as soon as I recieved KDEN ATIS message. This morning on the same flight (repeat) It did not crash right away. I had already contacted ATC & received my landing vectors. When ATC went to talk to another plane, BOOM, back to desktop. To disk thrashing, no error messages, just shut down. It was the IK DC-9 yesterday & the default B737 today. Any ideas? Thanks.Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Guest papatango

Every time I started up at Harvey field, a small airport in Washington, I got a CTD. I had added some AFCAD2 files in my Add On scenery folder. I took out those AFCAD2 files, and I don't get a CTD. I was able to reproduce this every time. I think from now on, I will individually test every freeware file I put on my machine to make sure it is OK.PapaTango

Third time in three tries I CTD approaching Denver. I had found a AFCAD file UT left for DEN but I removed it. I am about ready just to go back to FS2002.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Anybody else?

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Try setting the date to early summer. It may be the seasonal texture bug.

Setting the date had no effect except to crash earlier. This time right after takeoff. What I did next was remove the FS9.CFG file & let the sim rebuild it. I then flew about 1000 miles with no problems. Tonight I will reset my yoke settings & try the exact flight again. If this is it, I wonder what was bad in the CFG file?Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

I have suffered many ctds the last few months (driving me NUTS! :-fume ). Most of them were connected to the season-bug, as I understand it. The error msgs said "terrain.dll" when I clicked on the "show error data button" I got a tip from a guy who had figured out what file in the terrain folder that was the problem, I then put it in another folder outside fs9. This made the problem stop!

Yes it will make a new one but you will lose any custom settings or joystick asaignments.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Guest crabster

Yes. When I was having ctd's I narrowed it down to three causes-the texture bug, improper settings in wxRE (which was quickly fixed by the awesome Active Sky support) and the main culprit-the FS9.cfg.In the cfg I discovered that FS9 added every video driver change I had made. So it referenced about 4 versions of catalyst drivers which I beleived caused monumental instability. I simply deleted the fs9cfg, started fs9 and it created a new one. I then addedd all the little weaks I had before and viola! (knock on wood) haven't had a ctd in quite some time! What I do now is periodically check the cfg for any inconsistencies or conflicts. In the case of a driver change-check and make sure that the old driver is no longer referenced.

Crabster, Thanks for the info. I saved my old FS9.CFG. Maybe I can find what was screwed up.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Ok guys.. Thanks! All we can do is keep on trying!'Oh I forgot.XP 2002AMD Athlon 1.66 (1.82) GHz256RAM (!)Radeon 9600 ProFS9/windh

"Maybe restarting with a new flight might fix it.. Anyone ever heard of such things that the bugs maybe could be attached to the flight itself, as it is saved?"I ran into an odd problem in FS2002 once, where I saved a flight and upon loading it up and switching views, the sim crashed. Just curious whether you get the crash if you turn AI off completely. It could be a problem with AI that you could possibly fix if you rebuilt the traffic.bgl. If you still have FS2002 installed, another thing to try would be replacing the COF traffic.bgl with FS2002's (after first backing up COF's traffic.bgl).Hope this points you in the right direction--good luck...-John

Johan, The FS9.CFG file is in C:Documents and SettingsdadApplication DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.CFG Don't know which operating system you have.Pat

Pat Callaghan
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit