Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob Z

help with crashes to desktop

Have you done a search of the whole computer. It has to be there. In WinXP MS put the files in the individual user folder. I am not really sure what else to tell you. Make sure you are searching for all files & folders & are searching all local drives.Pat

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi Johan,Assuming you have XP, click on Start - Search - For files and Folders.Then click on 'All Files and Folders' and on the next page click on 'More Advanced Options'.Make sure 'Search hidden files and folders' is checked and try your search for fs9.cfg again.Mike

Capt.,for windows XP, the FS9 config file is in a hidden folder. Not in front of my XP machine right now so I cannot give precise instructions, but you have to make a change to view all invisible folders, then look under your log-in name/documents/programs/microsoft/FS9. Hope this leads you in the right direction.

PHEW!!!THANX GUYS!! Finally found it!! I was beginning to look for medical attention.. :7Ok.. Gonna throw it away now and reboot..Thanks!/johan

Guest Bob Z

I got the ATC.DLL CTD this morning and this is the first time it's happened.This occurred after landing and exiting the runway at Santa Fe, NM. I saved the flight before making the approach, reloaded it at that point and continued and this time it did not happen. I used the same runway and exited to the same taxiway as before.I do not have any AI, ATC or executable addons installed, just mesh and scenery but it still occurred There is no addon mesh or scenery installed for the Santa Fe area.So this may be an inherent FS9 bug.

Guest Bob Z

I just started flight simming in August when COF came out and am not yet entirely familiar with all of the addons. Consequently, I've been slowly introducing addons as I become more familiar with the sim. At present it is still a pretty vanilla install compared to many others and this would lead me to believe that the atc.dll problem is FS9 related and not related to any addon.I have not seen the terrain.dll one yet.

BOB: Ok.. Have you tried to change the season to midwinter (as in mid january) or midspring or midfall?it seems to decrease the problem at least..Have you ever suffered a ctd by using the GPS in some way?/johan

Guest Bob Z

I'm currently on a cross USA tour flying mostly daytime VFR and flown via GPS maybe only 10 or 12 times to learn the process, so it's not really a sufficient number of times to tell.No, I've not changed seasons yet to see if that helps and I'll leave it as is for now to see if it will recur and maybe see some pattern. From what I've read about MS's time implementation, MS seems to have had a problem with the 4th dimension in many ways.I've done the saved Santa Fe landing 3 more times and the atc.dll error did not recur.There is this post in the Mesh Design forum about the terrain.dll:[http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=124&topic_id=1277&mode=full]It sounds like MS's validity checking in the scenery index build routine at COF startup is not very comprehensive or 'forgiving' and perhaps some of their mesh/scenery files have undetected errors.

I had my very firwst ctd EVER last night. I was so mad. My beast hung up when loading the weather. The task bar got to 77% (loading weather)and then SPLAT!!! This occured after installing Chris Willis' new cloud textures. I can't believe it's Chris' fault, so maybe it's a bug I haven't run into yet. Anyone have the same problem?

Scott, Immediately started having CTD (never had them in FS2004 before) after installing Chris's new cloud textures. Took them out, and they went away. Undoubtedly the texture seasonal and location issue is giving people a lot of trouble with the CTDs....but mine always occurred when the weather loaded and initially I thought that it was Active Sky, I suspect when the weather is set and then loaded into FS2004 the sim is crashing as soon as the cloud textures are loaded. Anyone else?regards,