Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfanger

New Install - Can't use Real World Weather - Need some ...

Guest sfanger

Folks,I just installed FS9 on a medium level XP Home system, and a simple "touch & go" flight from Meigs seemed to work fine. I then tried to invoke Real World Wx with 15 minute updates and after a lengthy delay get a dialog box saying ... "An error occurred while downloading Real-World Weather. Please check your internet connection and try again." Another typically uninformative Microsoft diagnostic alarm.I'm using the same configuration as I did in FS2K2, where I did not have this problem.Before running FS I always run EndItAll to free resources. In checking what resources that are being shut down I don't see anything system critical. I do run both McAfee Firewall & McAfee Viruscan. EndItAll detects and shuts down several programs associated with McAfee.I access the Internet via cable modem, and ran a test to see if after running EndItAll I still had internet access. NO JOY! I, therefore, launched FS9 without first running EndItAll and the RRWx worked just fine!Evidently, I need "some" of the McAfee programs running or my internet connection is blocked.Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know which McAfee program(s) are critical and must remain running?Thanks to all for your help.P.S.On another note of general interest, I've read in this forum about difficulty in using two monitors, getting them configured properly and saving favorite configurations. I run a GeForce Ti4200 dual monitor setup (always in full screen mode) using the 52.16 drivers.I was very pleased and surprised that dragging undocked windows to the 2nd display and saving the configuration works perfectly - must be lucky!

I don't run McAfee but I would guess that EnditAll is shutting down, or some way disabling, your firewall and so you lose your 'Net connection.TBH I see no need to run Anti-virus s/ware while flight simming and if your firewall is configured correctly you should be pretty safe from someone trying to get into your PC.The program descriptions in EnditAll should give a clue as to which relate to the firewall and the McAfee docs should tell you which files are part of the firewall.HTH

Guest sfanger

Vulcan:I did some experimenting. If I keep (protect) two of the Firewall modules from closing - things are fine. Wonder why I haven't run into the problem before now.Thanks for the response.