Sign in to follow this  
Guest shanwick

I can't weigh this up

My system is-AMD 2400xpGF4 TI4600 28mbDX9b512mb DDR ramAudigy 2All the latest drivers.I run FS2002 pretty well with the FPS locked at 20. I install the very excellent EDDW2K21.zip by Oliver Pabst. I can land at about 15fps, and never go below 10 using the whole airport and it's incredible facilities. I then go to Bham_2K2.zip by John Walker( no offence John, you did an excellent job) but, on approach, my fps go down to a jerky, unacceptable 6/7 fps. Now, my question is, if my system wont run a bit of extra scenery, is it worth me spending money on FS2004?, or should I lash out more dough on a 5gig cpu? Well,OK, I know my system is'nt cutting edge, but jeesh, just what do you need to run this thing?? I just don't know. I started FS2000 on a 366mb,and enjoyed it, then took the quantum leap to 1G with fs2002 and started to struggle, so up to 2G, and still struggling. Just where the hell does it end?Russell.

Guest papatango

There are a lot of ways to optimize fs2004. I have a 2700xp with a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I can not run with all of the sliders maxed with the MS default textures (I do though have MyTraffic and FSGenesis mesh which also eats into frame rates somewhat).The frame rate killers are:1. cloud density - get optimized textures - reduce cloud sliders2. autogen - get optimized textures - reduce autogen slider - apply fixes posted in other messages3. traffic - reduce sliderDoing these things should keep your frame rates pretty similar to fs2002. fs2004 looks much better to me than fs2002.PapaTango

Thanks for your imformative reply, PapaTango. I hear what you say and will heed your words when I get fs2004. It's just that I get so peed off that a 2G cpu and GFTi4600 won't run fs2002 with a bit of scenery installed. Just blowing off a bit of steam.Haha. Glad you are enjoying fs2004.Russell.

And another thing that pee's me off is that that son-of-a b---- "Dark Moment"runs fs2004 on a 1.8g machine ( Err, oh, hello Mark, err, my ex. wifes sister married a guy from your home town.Used to run a green grocers store on Bath Rd. Mike Groves) Haha. What the hells that got to do with anything.Russell.

Guest petepawn

I think it's so much up to the scenery:I have an AMD xp3000+ cpu, 1024 Mb 400mhz ram and ati9600.This machine does normally with many sceneries (and the cloud fix - of course) installed 20-30fps, but there just are some places (=sceneries) that put my comp on its knees..For example I have Swedflights ESSA, ESGG, ESMS + EKCH installed.. all is going well until I switch to the spotview in EKCH - stutters with 4-8 fps. Heavy sceneries can be found also in default EGLL etc.So install - and then remove if you need - the add-ons because there are that kind of heavies amongst them that there is no pc yet to run them smoothly...

Guest shanwick

Well, Russell, if it's any concolation I have a more powerful system than you and can run Gary Summons' UK2000 airports very well but when I load up some scottish airports which go by the name of Scotflight fps and smoothness take a dive.I'm sure it has to do with the way the scenery was created and what tools were used.David