Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

Networked Computers and FS2004

Guest Browneye

All,Well I've got my new platform running (P4 3.0 Ghz, 9800xt, 1Gb RAM) and the performance I'm getting out of FS2004 is fantastic. Thanks to all the contributers who have provided all the knowledge, info and tweaks to get this sim looking and acting fantastic.Now I Have this new computer attached to the old computer (P3 1 Ghz) through a small home network. Are there any ideas for utilising this old computer through networking to enhance the sim experience?I was thinking something like flight planner, GPS, control panels etc. Something to add the experience and take some load of the other computer.So, any ideas?Steve Brown

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

My WX program (testing Beta of AS2004), Flight Tracker (Flight Logging Program), Server Info, and Streets and Trips all run happily on my old PII 450MHz connected to main FS2004 via Pete Dowson's WideFS. I use IPX/SPX protocal to reduce the overhead as much as possible. Old computer is windows ME, FS2004 is XP Pro. I'm personally convinced off loading these tasks to a second networked computer helps FPS and latency.I never use the FS2004 GPS because I have FSNav which is more FPS friendly and runs on a second monitor off the main FS2004 box. I don't know how I ever survied running a PC all these years (21 this fall!) without a second monitor!Larry

Guest sbdwag

Heres a picture of me flying the Meridian on one computer and on the other Im driving the weather with FSMeteo with import planning and have Radar Contact 3.1 controlling ATC and showtext for ATC Commands also I have the Internet in the Background while im on those long legs and DU Meter monitoring my network transmissions. Im using FSUIPC and wide FS on a 100Mbps LAN with a netgear router.http://www.wagsterstuff.com/screens/duelmon.jpgIs it worth is.. Very much so.Heres three more pictures of me flying my very own Meridianhttp://www.wagsterstuff.com/screens/dm1.jpghttp://www.wagsterstuff.com/screens/dm2.jpghttp://www.wagsterstuff.com/screens/dm3.jpg:-hah :-hah :-hahRegardsDennis

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Here's what my two monitor set up looks like. Runs fine on Asus p4pe 2.4 GHz. (screen shot heavily compressed).Larry

Guest daveg4otu

Use it as you said for the GPS etc and ,if you're into online flying ,for running things like Servinfo/Whazzup etc ( I always have Servinfo running on a secondary monitor- never thought of networking it before - I could use my wife's PC!........No - forget that thought for the sake of peace and harmony)Dave

Guest UweR

Hi, I run FS9 on the main machine and often some kind of a moving map on the second (in addition to the weather program, net, DVD, e-mail, NOAA weather radar images...). There are pretty decent freeware programs available (FS Flight Max, FSGarmin 530) that can be used to display calibrated chart images (I have uploaded a few already calibrated US charts to Avsim, search for "Rademacher"). The program I use the most is the FSFlightMax Chart Viewer, a freeware program that can be used as a moving map much like the old real world Teldix CoPilot. It utilizes NOS/GEO encrypted, commercial charts from Aeroplanner and displays them in full screen, simply the best for bush flying.The two freeware modules I mentioned, FSFlightMax and FSGarmin 530, are both fully network capable and enhance simming a lot, give them a try! The dedicated forum here at Avsim is a good start. The GNS 530 (FSGarmin 530) is a good rendition of the real deal. All you need is a registered WideFS and FSUIPC.The picture shows my setup, the DF2000 C310 with the RealityXP GNS 530 ready for departure at Darrington Muni, with a Seattle sectional displayed and linked to FS9 in the FSFlightMax Chart Viewer. With the HETEC KVM switch in the background I can switch the monitor display to the third machine.http://mitglied.lycos.de/simdream/005.JPG