Sign in to follow this  
rjsagel

Airbus (SSW) Profile Mode???

Hello,Can someone please explain the PROFILE MODE in the Airbus AutoPilot?I'm currently flying the SSW 310 "Bus" and don't really understand the Mode.Thanks,Ron Sagelrjsagel@comcast.net

Guest A321

Hi,The Profile mode is just live VNAV in a boeing. If you set when you program the flight plan, and then you fly in profile mode, the plane will follow the plan, and climb and descend as per the flight plan, as long as you set the ALTS in your FCU. It will also adjust speed according to alts and Constraints on the Flight plan. For example:If you program your flight plan, and then say at your second waypoint you add an alt constraint, as long as you prees the CSTR, button the ESI the BUS will obey that constarint.So to recap, profile is just like VNAV on a boeing, and it basically just follows the flight plan profile, climbing and descending, and adjusting speed, eg above 250knots it will lower the nose so the plane can speed up to climb speed.Hope this helpsJason

Hello again,Once again - thank you! I have moved on in the airbus flying - I'm actually able to get to somewhere and land!My current situation is that I "trained" on the PSS birds and they are less complicated in the CDU area than the SSW.I sort of like the SSW because of the cockpit modeling that requires a lot of procedural setup. The problems are also quite vexing:1. The manuals appear to be from the real thing - not the sim! THERE IS NO TUTORIAL!2. The systems "look" different than the PSS - like the PROFILE and the "LAND" modes.3. I'm not sure what are bugs or the real things that I don't understand.Lastly, the support seems to be "language limited". I think they try but appear to be limited in English.Anyway - thanks again.Ron Sagelrjsagel@comcast.net near KCHS

Guest A321

>Hello again,>>Once again - thank you! I have moved on in the airbus flying ->I'm actually able to get to somewhere and land!>>My current situation is that I "trained" on the PSS birds and>they are less complicated in the CDU area than the SSW.>>I sort of like the SSW because of the cockpit modeling that>requires a lot of procedural setup. The problems are also>quite vexing:>>1. The manuals appear to be from the real thing - not the sim!>THERE IS NO TUTORIAL!Yes this is a problem>2. The systems "look" different than the PSS - like the>PROFILE and the "LAND" modes.That becasue they are. The A310 is older and hence it was really a test bed for the level of automation in the A320 Series.>3. I'm not sure what are bugs or the real things that I don't>understand.There are not many bugs, Take a look on the SSW forum, most are obvious>>Lastly, the support seems to be "language limited". I think>they try but appear to be limited in English.Yes>>Anyway - thanks again.>>Ron Sagel>rjsagel@comcast.net near KCHS>>>>

Thanks for the info - I am having trouble in the SSW bus with "coupling" the modes of the Autopilot to the CDU.I get the plan into the CDU and, if I fly it, the A/C will obey the LNAV part of the program. The speed / Alt is another story. I can't seem to get the PROFILE / Speed etc to work right. I'm sure it is me but I can do it all in a PSS bus CDU but not here yet! Do you have to engage the Auto Throtlle as one of the functions. All I have been doing is PROFILE, NAV, then Autopilot after takeoff.What I get is a constant climb at high speed!!!!!Any ideas?Thanks,Ron Sagel

Ron, I'm having some similar problems, mostly on descent. The aircraft tends to start down late on Profile mode and misses STAR crossing restrictions, typically gathering too much speed...often overstressing the airplane and setting off FS crash scenario. It could be the way I'm dealing with the crossing restrictions in the FCU (I believe it will enter STAR restrictions into the flight plan automatically, just like the Boeing FMS does...). However, I know that you do need to use the autothrottle in Profile mode, just like you must use it to operate VNAV mode in a Boeing aircraft. Still learning.regards,

Thanks for the info!I have run out of patience with this bird!. I would really like to fly it but the behavior of the CDU is so strange to me (Porbably my fault but CAN'T GET RELIABLE SUPPORT from their forum) that I'll go back to my PSS 330/340 until someone developes a TUTORIAL for us Sim Pilots.What has me baffeled is the lack of similar posts on their forum - it makes me think that this is something I'm supposed to know how to do - I program the PSS and PMDG OK and they fly the programs right into FLARE.

Hello,I owe it to the community to update this issue.Most of the problems that I am having with the SSW bus are of my own making! With a background in the PSS buses, I assumed a LOT! After rereading the Procedures and Techniques Manual, I LEARNED a great deal and am having a lot more success. While it is true that the language barrier of SSW support is somewhat of a problem, they have helped a great deal. Once I get into their suggested Recommendations, I find that I can fly their bus more efficiently. What I have to do is study the manuals more closely - this bird requires more procedural actions on my part.Anyway, onward and upward in my bus flying!Ron Sagelrjsagel@comcast.net near KCHSSimulated Bus pilot in training!