Sign in to follow this  
Johan_Dees

I am mad!

It has been weeks, maybe months ago that I could find the timeto have a complete flight.I mean, one with all the caboodle..flightplanning, weather etc..The new POSKY 744F was taken, (yeah I like 744F's) and started to taxi to the runway.Just before the holding point: crash in FS on FSSOUND.DLLDamn! Loaded FS again, and saw that I didnt saved my flightplan.. got all typed in again, asked ATC for clearance and took off after waiting for 30 minuts due heavy traffic.About 80 miles before the desination you guess what? crash FS.Bang! Error in FS2002.exe.I hate it! and now I am mad. These errors have plagues my also with FS2000, but start to come more and more often in FS2002.It looks like it was the last try I do for a complete flight!Bugware!Johan DeesOn Personal Title!

Guest The Ancient Brit

Johan and Francois,Your posts surprise me. Both of you have been around for some time and make a considerable input to flight simming yet you are having newbie problems with FS2K2. I bought FS2K2 as soon as it became available in the UK and running with Windows XP Pro I had a desktop crash within the first few hours. Since that single crash it has run as good as gold, no problems whatsoever and the only crashes I experience these days are flying crashes when I push my luck by flying too low in mountain passes.I am currently running an Athlon XP1800+ with a Ge

If I cant fly with weather, ATC and stick, then its delete *.* here for FS2002.Come on, it has the options, so use them and let it work.The strange this is that now and then all goes well, and sometimes all go wrong. I am sure it isnt related to add on's, since I dont have much, and most have proven to be no problem.Now and then it makes me mad. Another example: frame rates drop more and more untill I press START in windows, go back to FS and all is OK!Go Figure!Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!

:-lol :-lolNewbie problems indeed.... and I'm a 25-year IT veteran as well ;-)But... yep, I install new add-ons most every day... the only way to stay up to date and be able to write about them.Also.... my system is not too powerful (anymore) and I am running the old Windows98 SE (ME was even worse ;-) )So that all adds up to having problems from time to time, obviously.That and my legendary clumsiness of course ;-) I have become an IT manager because of it and am the worst client of my own staff.... I see it as another way to keep them on their toes of course :-lol :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest The Ancient Brit

Johan,Of course, I must respect your opinion about the use of weather, ATC and the stick since the last thing I want to do is to attempt to define how another simmer should fly. I accept the add-ons you have are proven ones and therefore are unlikely to be the cause of the problem.Your reference to frame rates dropping may provide a clue however. Either your processor is slowing down (most unlikely) or it is being forced to do more and more work as your flight progresses. You say when you press START in Windows, FS returns to normal. This surely points to some background program or process gobbling up memory or resources until in the words of a Haiku poet

Guest The Ancient Brit

Francois,I am aware that neither Johan or yourself can be be classified as

I envy you, Denis :-)On the other hand, you would not want to know what I have crammed on this 1.2 Ghz, 384 Ram machine of mine... all the major flight sims, more than 10 Gb of FS2002 with add-ons, my web design and photography/graphical software, MS Office and some 80 other 'professional' tools.... not to mention MSN Messenger, AIM, ICQ, Outlook and then some.. many of these things having to run in the background to stay in touch with the world out there. And no Windows XP in site for some time to come ;-)I bet that if I would turn a lot of things of, down and away, I would have a better flying experience. But that then would deprive you and others from the fruits of my never ending quest for information regarding this hobby... I am still secretly hoping to get me a flightsim-only machine one of these days... I am sure that would help towards a more satisfying experience. But would I have more time for the flying? Probably not :-(Thanks for you concern though, I appreciate that :-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Johan and Francois,I am saddened to hear that 2 well respected and very helpful simmers are having so many problems.May I suggest as a first step that both of you run 'Enditall' and kill off any unecessary background programs; if you already run this apologies for the suggestion.Also having 512MB RAM should help.I am fortunate in that I have 2 PCs for simming but both are only used when flying with Vatsim or using FSMeteo for real time weather.I run an Athlon XP1800, 512MB RAM, GF3 Ti200 and Win98SEI have most FS settings at 75% or higher but do not use the built-in ATC, I can't stand it :-fume , and I do not suffer crashes.I occasionally get the PC locking up but only when flying on line and for some reason the DF737 FMC gives problems, still to figure out why.I hope you both find a cure for your problems and can enjoy FS as it should be enjoyed, without crashes..other than pilot induced ;) Rgds

I now keep things really, really simple. FS98 with just FSClouds and ProFlight98 (and selected commercial aircraft and commercial/freeware scenery). FS200O with just FSClouds 2000, ProFlight 2000, Captain Speaking and selected commercial aircraft (no add-on scenery). FS2002 with just add-on commercial aircraft. PS 1.3 running in DOS only. AS2 running on its own. X-Plane running with a single monitor in OpenGL. Game Commander 2 with MSFS. Bliss, bliss, bliss!! Everything works, everything interacts properly, everything is a fair approximation to my real world experience of GA and the big jets. I shall never, ever again bother with 'freeware' offerings (no matter what the reviews and temptations). It's just not worth it, in my experience. Far, far, far better to run with the base product (FS98/2k/2K2 or stand-alone sims) plus a minimum number of reputable, commercial add-ons that give added (as opposed to subtracted) value. If the name of the game is simulated flying - as opposed to messing about with computers - I have found from bitter experience that simplicity and commercial products are the only way to go. I am grateful though to some of the freeware developers for my increased knowledge about computing generally and MS Windows in particular (e.g. how and how long it takes to 'defrag'). Without their 'products' I would never have known so much. But now that I know a little about computing, but remain committed to aviation rather than computing, I keep on the straight and narrow path of only using the base sims plus only top quality, commercial add-ons. As a result, I get to know more and more about aviation (albeit at the expense of getting to know about computer operating systems etc). For me, this is a fair trade.

Hi all who responded here.....When I first replied to Johan's frustration it was in jest, more than anything, but with a twist of frustration too, no doubt.In fact, I am not as frustrated as Johan seems to be, my crashes are not as bad, and when the system crashes I usually know why (just running too many things in the background).Yes, I think you are all right in your advice... keep things clean, make sure you kill unneccesary programs, have a high end system, especially enough RAM ! All true, and I know it.I cannot speak for Johan here, but my real problem is that I cannot do the above, at least not yet.Because of my many involvements in the hobby, testing and writing for at least 3 publications, AND having to use the pc as my work horse for real life too, it is impossible to get it clean and optimized for simming. And that is the main issue for me, with MS Explorer and Explorer causing the majority of the crashes.FS2002 almost never casuses problems (it just runs way to slow due to my memory and other programs. The only time things break down is when I try to add Squawbox to the mix.... for some reason that will not run mor than some 10 minutes before freezing the lot (see my posts in the BFU forum ;-) ).Other than that I cannot complain too much, although I do loose a lot of time over a day with the problems I have...not only with FS but in general with the PC.Now... the plan is to build a new one this winter.. money being the issue here. I am saving the few bucks I make extra with writing (not for AVSIM but for other publishers)for a BIG FS PC.... planned to be bought, built, up and running in January or February next year.Until then I run on this 1,2 Ghz one with all the other assorted stuff and make do with what I have ;-)But I wanted to thank you all for the kind words and good advice, it is truly appreciated :-jumpy :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Hi,I have also an 1800XT, GF3 Ti200, and 512 DDR ram, and windows XP pro.Strange thing is when I am doing developments for PSS, with ICQ running, webpages open, explorer, several instances of notepad, Aired, and my email running, there is no crash.It goes on and on.When I close all those programs and only use FS, it often, NOT ALWAYS, crash during the flight.So, it must be Bill Gates.. when I do flights for relaxing it crashes, and for work it keeps going..Johan

Hehe.. yep.. well, I gathered all my courage (lol) and tried again.Finally an uneventfull flight.The only change was that I removed FSSE. Maybe it is responsible.Nice side effect was that FS was smoother.. Puzzled..Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!