Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Air File Question

Guest Boone

Hi There,Is it possible to copy an air file direct from one add on plane to another? - If so, what file is it and what changes should be made?I have a plane specific to FS2002 that performs like a fighter in FS9. Thanks,Boone,"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in to the sea." E. Cantona

Guest teetee

i just tried that yesterday [on advice from here] and it's possible. i used the falcon50 .air for the crj200er. the first attempt i used the wrong version [earlier by 2 days] and fs thought the crj was overspeeding at 220kias. when i used the correct file it flew. i just saved a copy of the original and renamed the fal50 and put it in the crj folder. my guess is that the 2 a/c need to be pretty close in size and performance, but i could be wrong on that also. as long as you have the backup to go to , try it and fly it. tt

Guest allcott

I think you just got lucky. Most times the air and cfg files have to be designed to work together. There are so many aspects to air files that have NO adjustment available in the cfg that it's just coincidence when it works right. The cfg file adjusts many of the values in the air file, but if other values are incorrect then you are going to end up with a disaster. Even moving air files from FS2002 to FS9 alters some important characteristics because the two sims do things slightly differently.It depends whether you want realism or a toy to play with. I have made a Tiger Moth go Mach 1 for a bit of fun on a rainy afternoon, but that doesn't make it right!Allcott

Guest Boone

Thanks guys for the input so far.I'll explain what I want to do in more detail. I am using the FFX 737-300 which was desgined for FS2002, in FS9 (I know there is an updated FDE in the works). In FS9 it fly's like an F16!The FFX 737-200 appears to fly really nice already in FS9. These are the files I want to swap. I know I can experiment with swapping files but as I am not currently at home, I thought I'd post the question on the forum to see if there is a definate answer!Thanks,Boone,"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in to the sea." E. Cantona

Guest Captain Barfbag

You don't need to physically swap files, either. In Aircraft.cfg, there is a line which says sim=xxxx. This points to the .air file, without the .air extension on the file name. All you need to do to swap .air files is edit the line in the .cfg file. (You may not even need to re-start FS, but I think in most cases you do.)That said, my experience is the same as what's been mentioned above - there is a lot of interplay between the various files, and getting something to work better just by swapping .air files is a hit-or-miss thing. I've had some luck doing this with AI planes, particularly when I'm converting a non-AI plane to AI use. In these cases, I've used an .air file from a similar plane.