Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Global patch for seasonal CTDs released

Hi all,just as a heads up, Jobia has released a new version of his global patch that fixes the CTDs during late fall and early spring. The likely hypothesis for the crashes is that the CTDs are triggered by incomplete or incorrect look-up tables for texture blending at airfields. The patch works by deactivating the new feature in FS9 that blends the underlying landclass textures with the airport background (grassy) polygon. In other words, the airport grounds will look more like the FS2002 versions again, with singular textures. Currently, all the documentation is in German only, so here's a quick guide for installation:1. Download crashto.zip at http://jobia.bei.t-online.de/crashdes.htm and unzip into temporary folder, with "Use folder names" enabled.2. make a backup copy of your FS9terrain.cfg file3. copy the .bmp files from the PatchTexture folder into your FS9Texture folder4. copy one of the two replacement terrain.cfg files into your root FS9 folder. The version in the "terrain_cfg mit ..." folder retains the default blending of landclass textures along the utility lines, the version in "terrain_cfg ohne ..." replaces the blending with simple textures. Both versions fix the seasonal CTD crashes, the additional changes to the utility corridors are just a pet peeve of Jobia and have no influence on the crashes (in Europe, most utility corridors don't have clearings cut, unless they run through forested areas). The patch is easily reversible by deleting the new terrain.cfg and replacing it with the original. You don't have to delete the .bmp files that came with this patch because they get called only by the altered terrain.cfg.Cheers, HolgerP.S.: For the technically inclined, Grahame has kindly (and freely) translated some of Jobia's information, copied from this post http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...viewtopic&t=374 :"In my opinion,the main reason why this is happening is due to the new Landclass funtion MaskClassMap2 in the terrain.cfg, and the way the airport ground polygons are displayed. The files in themselves work OK, but MS has changed the parameters of some of the associated data that influence the way these files work."They saved programming time by building in a sort of "chameleon" effect into the data, so that the airport grass is displayed over the surrounding landclass scenery, in that the texture display switches automatically to a partner landclass file. This has the advantage that MS doesn't have to worry about the ground texture polygons at airports.The advantage for MS is that the airport and surrounding scenery blend together more easily."It was well thought out, but unfortunately, it only works with default landclass scenery."However, with addon landclass, the original landclass textures are displayed at the airports, due to the fact that the partner landclass file doesn't work with the addon landclass data, and so you have effects like cornfields between the runways etc."One of the specific problems at Sion (and possibly why it causes a CTD) is caused by the fact that the borderline for the texture change to display the seasons runs right through the middle of the airport,and due to the new BGL coding in FS9, it's not possible to use landclass data for the airport ground polygons, then you get unpleasant effects like autogen trees etc all over the airport. So,you have to use textures instead, to get round the problem with the "masking effect" that MS uses to make the programming easier."The only disadvantage from using textures instead of landclass data is the fact that polygons only use one texture, independant from the size, whereas landclass has seven different polygon sizes available. But with grass at the airports it doesn't pose a big problem, as grass always looks about the same everywhere."

Thanks for the heads up, Holger. I just installed the patch. No more problems at Sion! I haven't tried any other trouble areas yet.

Guest gmorar

Holger,I've been using one of Jobia's terrain.cfg since 2 days ago without having any CtD, as it was referred by Walter (waltch) on another thread some days ago. Never installed any .bmp though.Thanks a lot for the info.!!! :-)Gabriel Mora.

Hi Gabriel:the version of terrain.cfg without the .bmp files is an earlier version (you probably got it directly from the Austrian forum). It fixes the CTDs but also removes the background polygons completely, making the airfields vulnerable to "autogen encroachment" ;-) The new version takes care of that issue by means of the included textures.Cheers, Holger

I'd like to confirm that this patch/tweak works!I flew from Philadelphia to Seattle, and the first three times I tried it the sim crashed to desktop (rather, locked up my computer unresponsive) just east of the Seattle area.On my fourth attempt today, after applying the above patch, I flew the flight perfectly - but nearly ran out of gas on landing!Thanks to all for this fix!!-Greg

Guest gmorar

Holger, I've been using the patch (the first terrain.cfg) for almost a week now without any problems or CtD related to seasonal changes.Just wanted to confirm that !!! Thanks again.Gabriel.

What does the new appearance of airports with the patch mean? Are areas that were never a problem with CTDs now have degraded airport textures in your opinion?Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Well, without the texture blending, they stand out more clearly from the air. In most cases, I would prefer the more "camouflaged" default look. In areas where there are no CTDs (for most of my flying, really) I will retain the original terrain.cfg file. In areas with known CTDs, I'll switch over to the patch. John

Guest gmorar

It is my idea that the patch applies to this time of year where transitional season occurs. One question is that after the transitional season is over (I guess on Dec. 20th), should this patch be kept? regards,Gabriel.

Hi Gabriel:actually, these transitional seasons (late fall and early spring) have different onsets in different areas of the northern hemisphere, and then there's the possibility of similar crashes in the southern hemisphere as well. So it's difficult to know when and where the CTDs might get triggered. If you don't like what the patch does to the airport grounds I'd suggest trying to fly without it but keeping the replacement terrain.cfg "handy" and Joachim's .bmp files in the texture folder.Cheers, Holger

Yes, this patch works for many CTDs--but not all.(Bumping for visibility.)Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest goon

Is this the CTD I'm suffering with the PTSim Madeira scenery? I climb straight out from Funchal on 055, fairly clear of the islands, and boom, I'm looking at the desktop the desktop.....First CTD I've ever seen in FS9, entirely repeatable, with different AC, and didn't happen when I used the scenery in the summer.

Given that it doesn't happen in the summer scenery, I am going to wager that yes, it is.I applied the fix and I haven't yet discovered the difference visually... the airfields still look good, and I get no crashes to desktop.It's easily rolled back if you follow the directions, so you have nothing to lose!-Greg