Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Global patch for seasonal CTDs released

Just bumping this solution into the "New Year".Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

No offense to the fix author, but this is just a bandaid.Until we confirm CTDs by having the FLT and WX files of saved flights attached to posts, we cannot determine if CTDs are present in the default scenery, or if they are a result of our addons. Even experienced designers can overlook the presence of addons on their systems that could cause crashes. I remember a few weeks ago a very well-meaning fellow uploaded a new railroad texture to replace the default VTP railroad texture. It caused CTDs, because it was not of the proper texture format. How many simmers still have these textures on their computers? A few I'll bet, and they are having CTDs. Simmers are also installing landclass to addon project folders that have a 'texture' sub-folder ( as a twin to the 'scenery' folder ), and these cause memory leaks that will absolutely cause CTDs.If they are a result of our addons, we then need to determine what types of addons absolutely cause these CTDs, and examine how we create those addons.This fix has been found to cure some CTDs on some systems. It's not the universal antidote. Others still experience these crashes, that the fix does not cover.If anyone has what they believe are seasonal CTDs, please save those flights, and attach the FLT and WX files as a zipped attachment to a post. We can then all enjoy the CTD, and determine if it is caused by an addon.=====================For those wishing to do a "clean" install of FS9, you must first do a clean uninstall. That means using the Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs", then manually remove the "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9" folder. Failure to remove this folder will autoload your old addons when the new installation is first started. You should also delete the home folder of your fs9.cfg.. mine is here:"C:Documents and SettingsDick.LUDOWRApplication DataMicrosoftFS9"Yours will be in a similar place.Dick

Guest nutcase

CTD do occour in default scenery.At least here in norway. set date between 21 oktober and 21 november. (I suggest 25 october), then go to ENAN.Jan Roar R

Guest metamarty

>CTD do occour in default scenery.>>At least here in norway. set date between 21 oktober and 21>november. (I suggest 25 october), then go to ENAN.>>Jan Roar R

Hi Jan.Yes, I can also confirm the crash. It is seasonal. I'm attaching a zip with 2 FLT files ( and their associated WX files ). My system is very stable, and only the defaults are installed. Just double-click on the FLT icons, and the flights will start.Good find.In addition. I find I can add a landclass file to change the class of the entire LOD5 to value #0, for example, and the crash disappears.Dick

Hi Jan.Your Problems with ENAN and other default CTDs do seem to be cured by Joachim's terrain.cfg patch and textures.I had stated I thought these to be a "bandaid" solution... but it does cure the default CTDs I have tested ( pretty good bandaid ).It requires textures placed into the 'worldtexture' folder, and replacing the terrain.cfg with his example ( back that up first ). The textures will do no harm if simply left there. The old terrain.cfg can be restored if a problem arises.Do we know the root cause... not yet, but the CTDs I checked in the defaults are due to seasonal changes and the AB files which are the airport background VTP2 polys. As Joachim found, the polys are not the problem, but the special masking of the textures seems to be. I don't know if all default CTDs are caused by this, but all i have check are. We need FLT examples of the default CTDs to confirm.Dick