Sign in to follow this  
Guest james_2k

IAS and ILS!!! ! ! !

Guest james_2k

hi, thanks for taking the time to look at this, first of all, i have been flying the lear 45 and 747 recently, and a couple of times the ias indicator has just gone to 0, sometimes it comes back but it did it once when i was on final and lets just say i didnt make the runway! Also how do you set up for an ILS approach!! i have done the lesson and completed it ok, but that was all set up for you plus it was in the cessna which has a nice big ils display, i cant seem to see anything when entering the glideslope in either the lear or 747, can anyone shed any light on the situation? cheers in advance, James

Guest DanWalloch

No airspeed???! Well heres the cause, your pitot tube is frozen over so turn on the pitot heat.Heres the basic way to fly an ILS. Here is the data you need: Inbound heading (true runway heading), ILS freq, approach airspeed for the aircraft for your specific landing configuration, DH (decision height) and minimums.On your OBS or HSI, turn it to the inbound heading, dail the ILS Freq into your Nav 1 radio, When you are within range of the signal the OBS or HSI should come alive. (the vertical needle is the centerline [localizer] and the horizontal needle(s) is the glideslope) You will need to fly the airplane toward the needles to align the airplane with the runway. Before intercepting the localizer, put in 1-2 flap settings depending on the airplane, once established on the localizer, lower the gear and remain at your assigned altitude until you intercept the glideslope. Try not to adjust your power settings lot on approach as is gives you another thing to worry about. On a standard ILS approach, do not decend past the decision height until you have the runway in sight, be it the lights (edge and approach lighting) or the hard surface. Also you need to know the minimums for the approach to know if you can even "legally" do it. Without the runway in sight you need to complete the missed approach and try it again. No luck after 1 or 2 tries then its time to divert to your alternate.

Guest james_2k

nice one, thanks a lot for that, i have figured out the ils as well so total success! thanks for your help, James