Sign in to follow this  
Flyer Ken

For the Geeks in Flight Simming - what's your thoughts?

Just to pose an odd question out there.With the new talk about Longhorn (Microsoft's newest version of Windows in 200?) do you think Flight Simulator 2006 will be delayed or put out just before that.Window's ? (code-name Longhorn) will have a completely different file system and api structure...what are your thoughts?Just a question to make a long day go by faster.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Window's ? (code-name Longhorn) will have a completely>different file system....I would like to offer my thoughts on this. AFAIK, Longhorn will utilize the NTFS file system, with a database front end to it. At least, that is my understanding, and I could be wrong. As far as your other questions, observations, I have no opinion ;)

I doubt it Reed, because I think they'd be nuts to tie the next FS version to a particular Windows version. I don't think that the majority of users will switch to Longhorn very quickly, so FS would have to be compatible with Windows XP, at the very least. To do otherwise would cut off a huge portion of the market. In addition, the file system should be transparent to application programs, as it is now. For example, from a programming point of view, it makes no difference whether your user is using FAT32 or NTFS. I imagine that the same would be true of the Longhorn file system. If it wasn't, if applications had to be written for the file system, then you will see a very large user resistance to Longhorn, I'm sure.