Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

ISL in FS2004

Im new to FS2004 and I would like to know if they changed anything from FS2002 when doing a ILS approach in FS2004? I have not been able to do a ILS approach yet. When I press the APR button the heading disengages and takes me to the runway like it should, but the altitude never disengages. What am Im doing wrong in FS2004? With FS2002 I didnt have any trouble.

Guest Tim W

There is nothing different with the ILS's in FS2004. The same applies as before.1) Make sure correct frequency set in NAV12) Make sure OBS is set to correct heading for ILS runway3) Make intercept to the Localiser at no more than 30 degree angle at min 8 miles4) Intercept glide slope from BELOW the beam and NOT above otherwise you will not descend on the G/S.Usual rule is to intercept LOC before G/S, Don't press the LOC or APR button until the needle starts to move towards the centre. G/S indicator must be ABOVE the centre of the instrument and not below or you will not capture.Hope this little guide helps.regardsTim http://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...aam-sim_sig.gif

4) Intercept glide slope from BELOW the beam and NOT above otherwise you will not descend on the G/S.I think that was my problem. For instance today I flew to Oslo and was told to descend to 3,000 feet until on the glideslope. So I stayed at 3,000 feet then hit the APR button when on the glideslope but I didn't descend.

Guest cbrandall

I found the answer to your problem ( as I found this to be strange In 2004)........ do not hit the approach butten until you see the CDI begins to move........Iknow this appears to be a revese to what you have been used to, however If you try this I can guarentee you will never have a problem again Any real time pilots out there may like to reply as to what system Is used In real flight?.......Is It normal operation to wait until the CDI becomes active first before the approach switch Is used? Cheers Bryan

Guest Tim W

>I think that was my problem. For instance today I flew to Oslo>and was told to descend to 3,000 feet until on the glideslope.>So I stayed at 3,000 feet then hit the APR button when on the>glideslope but I didn't descend.I thought that might be the case. Keep an eye on the GS needle. As long as it's in the top half of the instrument you are fine, once it starts to move down, make sure you have the APR armed. Arm it when the needle is a point or 2 above the centre, Of course if it's a combined LOC/GS switch (just says APR) then you are probably on the localiser by then anyway so you should have already armed it. Timhttp://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...aam-sim_sig.gif

The autopilot fs models (king)I believe requires you to be established within a couple dots before pushing appr. The autopliot on my aircraft requires withing 1 dot-which means you must be basically established first(cdi basically centered or very close). Use the heading bug to get yourself established on the loc before pushing appr. and you can't lose.I posted a few days an excerpt from the king manual which spoke of this-do a search on the posts here.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg