Sign in to follow this  

The NASCAR airforce

Guest RiddlePilot

I can attest to that. Being at school next to Daytona Beach Intl airport when the 500 comes to town, its CRAZY! There are some beautiful birds coming in. There was one specific 727 that left here and flew up to Candada every other day. On top of that 727, there was one more, 2 DC-9s, GIVs and Vs, Citations, Falcon Jets and many many more. The main runway is 7L at 10,500 feet. They closed down the intersecting 16 for parking the big jets. It was awesome to listen to the scanner and how ATC handled the departures after the big day was over. Along about 8 p.m or so, the red beacons started flashing like mad. Unlike normal IFR operations, the tower was telling the pilots when to call them up to get their clearance. They issued instructions in mass, "Challenger 8295J, Falcon 2293R, Gulfstream 521ET, King Air 9567M, cross runway 16, taxi to 7L" And no matter what direction the aircraft was headed, the first departure was turned north, the second south, the next north and so on and so on until they were all gone.

You should take a look at the Mooresville,NC airport where a lot of these planes are based... Many NASCAR shops are based in the Mooresville area and the airport is refered to as "NASCARINTERNATIONAL"...Ron Mashburn

>You should take a look at the Mooresville,NC airport where a >lot of these planes are based... Many NASCAR shops are based >in the Mooresville area and the airport is refered to as >"NASCAR >INTERNATIONAL"... >>Ron Mashburn Jack Roush even has his race shops located on the airport.

Good Article,We get them in at Lewis airport (LOT) a few times a year and I take my kids over and we watch the departures. They set up a temp control tower, and special Notams for the week. Fun Stuff.As to the article,They had one line in there that really caught my eye.They Said:"Some guys go to absurd lengths to get the perfect call sign, hiring private investigators to track down original owners and working out elaborate trades."Hehehehe.... They could have saved the dough and went to landings.com, put in the n number and found out the owner right away... :-)For example, go here scroll down to search databases and choose n number search. Put in 1wb (leave out the N)http://www.landings.com/No big secrets thereRegards,Joe :-waveHere are Picture Galleries of My Trip out west in 2002.Gallery #1 Pima Air & Space Museum + AMARC (Boneyard) at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona. (over 240 Pictures)http://www.pbase.com/sonar5/pimaamarc

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest RiddlePilot

Just for fun, I typed in 2RW, for #2 Rusty Wallace and it came back a Bell 407 based at Mooresville, NC. Is this his helicopter? Also, N24JG is Jeff Gordon's Falcon 200.Quite simple to find them, just put in their car number and initials. I've found these two in less than a minute.Edit: AHHH, N88DJ is Dale Jarrett's Citation 650. Hehehe, this is kinda fun. And not related to racing, Arnie's jet is N1AP

What's great about the Daytona 500 is Delta brings in a 767-200 to handle the large load of pax leaving after the race. It is well known Daytona becomes the busiest airport in the world for 60-90minutes after that race. JAX_CTR controller working that sector must love that day.Riddlepilot..You can find me on the roof of the backstretch grandstands suites (you know how high up they are) watching the departures (I work there for the races and have access to that area). Talk about a view!!

Eric 

Guest RiddlePilot

Awesome...is there any possible way you could "sneak" me in. I've got a new digital camera I'd LOVE to put to use.I remember seeing that 767. I think it came close in comparison to Air Force One coming in last year.

Guest Tim13

I've flown into ASN several times, which is right next to the Talledega Superspeedway in Alabama. The arrival is pretty hecktic, but not any worse than a busy class C airport during a peak time. The controllers come from Birmingham, and they have this little miniature control tower that they activate during the race weekend.The departure is what is very interesting. After the race, the fastest way out is to go VFR if possible. Then you call ground, and they give you a taxi clearance, departure instructions, and time to taxi. Once you are in line on the taxiway, the end of the runway and the first intersection are used for simultaneous departures if the aircraft will allow it. We were in a Comanche and were launched at the same time in front of a Skyhawk since there was no way of the 172 running us over in the air unless we shut the engine down...LOL. The best thing about it is that you depart over the speedway, and ATC wants an immediate turn out so that they can keep the departures going. When I say immediate, I mean immediate as in rotate, gear-up, clear of any obstacles, then start your turn. The view over the race track from 200 feet was very cool coupled with the setting sun.Tim13

FYI,Jack Roush and Jeff Gordon's planes are based at Concord, NC (KJQF). I see Mr. Gordon's falcon almost everyday along with Rick Hendrick's fleet of Beech 1900D's and G-3. Robert Yates Racing's king airs are based in the hangar at the flight school I work at.Rumor is they will be extending the runway 2000' to make way for Mr. Roush's 3 727's he has at Charlotte.Thursdays and Sunday Evenings are always busy days at KJQF.PS Jack Roush's personal airplane is a Cessna Citation, CJ1 i think. It is the UGLIEST airplane I have ever seen. It is painted grey to look like a P-51 mustang. I'll post a picture when I can.