Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

AMD 64, Anyone have one?

Guest Ken Meier

I was wondering if anyone had built or purchased either of the new AMD 64s and what your thoughts are.Thanks,Ken

I've got the AMD 64 3200+ running on an Asus K8V Deluxe MB w/ 1.5 gigs of Corsair memory. I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to be very stable and about as fast as I could hope for. I've messed around with overclocking and raised the FSB to 220 with no problems and standard air cooling. That means the CPU was increased by 200 megahertz, and diagnostic software sez that the "PR" rating (AMD performance rating") is 3700.The real test will be whenever I can get my hands on a copy of XP-64, but for now I can't complain. The CPU wasn't but about $50 more than the 32-bit 3200+, so it seemed a worthwhile investment in future upgradability. FS 2004 runs great, as does LOMAC. All in all, I'm pretty happy with having a "cutting edge" machine now and look forward to that "giant leap" when some 64 bit stuff comes out.Mark

Guest captandy

Where di u get this machine from???

Guest tcable

I read yesterday (hardocp.com) that the 64 bit 3000 will have very reasonsoable pricing, but after the first fot he year.I'm looking to either an AMD 64 bit or an FX series chip myself when the prices drop some. Gotta get it past my wife!Tim

Fry's Electronics...Check their web site at Outpost.com if they don't have a store near you.Regarding prices, try Pricewatch.com. Looks like the Athlon 64 3200 is only about $56 more than the Athlon XP (32 bit) 3200.

You're right, at least as far as the "book" goes...but I stuck in 3 Coursair modules, selected PC400 anyway, and as far as I can tell, that's what I've got running. But even if the software is lying to me, I wouldn't think that the difference in 333 and 400 is a huge difference anyway.

I'm waiting until February to build my new comp now because of AMD's changes to the A64 product line that are supposed to happen right around then:Currently we have the following situation:Athlon 64 - Socket 754Athlon 64 FX-51 Socket 940The FX is basically a higher clocked Opteron chip, which is AMD's 64-bit server processor. It performs quite a bit better than the regular A64 because it has a dual-channel memory controller integrated right into the CPU.Apparently in February, AMD is doing away with the Socket 940 format, removing ONE PIN and releasing new chips in the Socket 939 format. If I'm understanding this correctly, buying an Athlon 64 FX right now means you have no upgrade path when the new chips come out because of the pin format change, which means a new motherboard...Probably best to wait until these second generation chips come out before buying - usually the way it is with everything - cars etc...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com