Sign in to follow this  
Guest thefringe

eD's "Voice Buddy" vs. ATC?

I'm wondering how eDimensional's Voice buddy product is going to work with ATC - this is where I would most want to see voice commands in FS9. Anyone have any idea? I would also be interested in whether anyone has gotten a reliable system for interacting with FS9's atc using some of the other voice programs out there such as game commander, or any of the freewares.Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest Grey_Wolf

The problem with talking to ATC with a voice program like Voice buddy or any other VOice programs that I know of. Is that a voice command when spoken is translated to a key command. For example, when you say Gear up, the program translates that to "g". since the ATC does use keycommands I'm sure it will work to an extent. For example Choosing Runway 24 for landing could be choice 2 or 3 in the atc menu but "2" and "3" are also used for many other ATC commands so it is probably set up for a key word like "ATC Two" or ATC Three"Does that make any sence? I dont have Voice Buddy, But I have tried other voice programs and thats basically how they all work, by turning a voice command in to a key command.

Guest WF443

Hi! I suggest that you read the description and the FAQ at ED`s site.I purcased Voice Buddy today, but haven`t got it yet.This is a phraze cut from the VB FAQ: "Voice Buddy also intuitively relays information based on the pilot's commands to ATC and back to the pilot." So i guess that says it all. :) RegardsBj

You describe my exact concern much better than I could have! That's why I'm wondering what eD's product does to handle this...I would really like a realistic phrase book to be used with atc, but I'm guessing that's not possible right now.Thanks,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Let me know what that means after you've had a few hours with it...;) If you wouldn't mind - I'd love to see a hands on review before I spend $50 as the ATC is the only aspect I'd likely use voice command for. Thanks,sg

Guest WF443

I will let you know as soon as i can test it. :)You should check out the review at flightsim.comregardsBj

I didn't know there was a review as flightsim - off I go right now! Thanks for the pointer, and can't wait to hear what you have to say...much appreciated.sg

I read the review, sounds great, but i think i will wait buying until i know some more from users here what it can do, and especially what it can not do.OHN

Yep - same here. Read the review and noted how nothing was mentioned about how voice buddy interacts with ATC...not even a screenshot which shows ATC commands. Time will tell.sg

Guest Satchmo

Goodness me, If that's a review I'll eat my hat! It's a 'blatent' sales pitch! :-erksI think I'll wait for the reviews on this forum before parting with any cash. :-dohCheers:-outtaSatchmo

Guest WF443

I guess you guys have to wait for some time before i can tell you anything. I purchased it as a direct download/Electronic delivery, but i`m not sure it`s even released yet. Got a mail with the purchase details, but nothing else.RegardsBj

Guest product

Does Voice Buddy cause any negative impact on FPS?Best,Joel

Guest David Lee 2

and the review on flightsim skirted the issue completely. It's hard to imagine how it could function any better than having you select the numbers from the menu. Especially since the menu choices change from time to time (e.g. #1 is not always "affirmative"). Also, how would you select the nearest airport from the menu? If it could do everything but the latter I would consider it though. I've always found those things to be resource hogs though - despite what the review says.David

Guest goon

Yep, Cap Masons stuff is nearly always an 'infomercial'.....

I can't see how it can be anything more than another Game Commander.i.e. to interact with ATC, you select the appropriate option from the menu by speaking "One", "Two" etc... It can't really do anything else unless it's tied in at a much lower level with the FS code.AFAIK it's just a speech to text (or in this case, key) converter based on Microsoft's/LH's engine. The added feature is that it (the software) also speaks back - i.e. has Captain Speaking like function.