Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

What combination will make micro stutters gone

To all the HW Guru and FSX veterans out there, I have a holy grail question to ask: you have all seen this: a high FPS yet a slight stutter here and there that you will notice, and will remind you that your flight is not smooth. Will moving up to Sandy bridge and SSD finally conquers this annoying problem? I currently don't use SSD, my system is a i7-950 OC to 4GZ, FSX is tweaked to make use of more than 2 GB of RAM (using the tool suggested in PMDG MD-1 and win7 64bit. At medium size airport, with Autogen complexity 100%, Autogen 100%, 50% GA and Jet traffics, my Frame count is jumping from 10 to 60 FPS, averaging 30 FPS if I use an external rate limiter, the drop to 10 FPS is a fraction of a sec, but I guess that when I notice the micro stutter. I tuned my system using Nick's guide, using Carenado C152II, so not a complicate aircraft at all.Thoughts? What would it take to conquer these annoying micro stutters? High FPS really is irrelevant if the flight is not smooth.ThanksVu

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Sometimes I get stutters, other times not. And it's random. I could be in the most CPU intensive payware with payware airport and it's not stuttering. (Mainly because the fps hover within the average +/- 10%). Other times I'll use default plane in a rural area and get huge variances. Like from 25 - 150 fps - then I get huge stutters. Locking in-game helps a little. But the best stutter curer for me was the v.02 FPS Limiter... just search FPS limiter youll find some good threads on it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have heard guys claim since the socket 775, that they had "smooth" flight. I have watched videos of a clocked SB @ 5.5GHz, and I could still see micro stutters. Honestly I do not think you can eliminate those real fine micro-stuters on anything.I can tell you that SB alone will not do it.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Anxuu00You said FSX is tweaked to make use of more than 2 GB of RAM (using the tool suggested in PMDG MD-1 and win7 64bit"FSX SP1 is already configured to use all of the 4GB of Virtual Address Space in a 64-bit OS (Physical RAM is not important as long as it is fast), so what tweak have you have applied? Could this be the issue.Certain tweaks to the fsx.cfg file may induce stutters and so have you tried, using a "clean" boot of windows then starting FSX with a "new" fsx.cfg file using the default flight and scenery to see if you still get stutters. (Without an external frame rate limiter)I guess that you have "pause on task switch" unticked?What is your video card?Is your PSU up to the job?RegardsPeterH :rolleyes:

Anxuu00You said FSX is tweaked to make use of more than 2 GB of RAM (using the tool suggested in PMDG MD-1 and win7 64bit"FSX SP1 is already configured to use all of the 4GB of Virtual Address Space in a 64-bit OS (Physical RAM is not important as long as it is fast), so what tweak have you have applied? Could this be the issue.Certain tweaks to the fsx.cfg file may induce stutters and so have you tried, using a "clean" boot of windows then starting FSX with a "new" fsx.cfg file using the default flight and scenery to see if you still get stutters. (Without an external frame rate limiter)I guess that you have "pause on task switch" unticked?What is your video card?Is your PSU up to the job?RegardsPeterH :rolleyes:
Hi Peter and thanks all for replying.I did not know about the FSX SP1 fact, I used the "4gb_patch" utility from www.ntcore.com, and I do see a much smoother flight. I has FSX with Acceleration, so whatever that utility did it did its job. my PSU is a Corsair 1000W, Noctua NH-14 Cooler, and WD Raptor 300 GB, I use a GTX570. 24" 1920x1200 monitor, but I don't know anything about "pause on task switch", does that affect stutter?. Running FSXMark11 with the required setting my Min FPS is 15, Max is 49, Average 35, and as I watched the benchmark, I can notice the micro stutters, so it certainly not the raw FPS. I have seen good number came out with SB, but then as you can see with my FPS above, they are not bad either. So really, are all the micro stutters gone with the SB set ups I have seen posted here?If only we still have MS FSX team to answer why these micro stutters occurred and what to do to get rid of them! I can't go back to FS2004, I am hooked on ORBX scenery and FSX is just much better, but these micro stutters can drive me nuts sometimes.Really, for all of you pioneers out there with SB, is it really true that the micro stutters are gone? Anybody with SB system and ORBX scenery, and other add-on like GEX, UTX, REX? What your experiences? I mean raw number is impressive, but I am interested in real experience with FSX as you would use it with your favorite add-ons and SB.One can only hope ;)ThanksVu

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Guest jahman
...I used the "4gb_patch" utility from www.ntcore.com...
You don't need to use the 4 GBy patch for SP2/Acceleration (but you still to configure Windows to allocate more than 2GBy to FSX).Cheers,- jahman.

I think I will try setting the FSX frame limit to 30 and noit using unlimited just to see if that will eliminate the micro stutters, heck I will also the external limiter just to see. I will let you guys know.Vu

Vu Pham

I have heard guys claim since the socket 775, that they had "smooth" flight. I have watched videos of a clocked SB @ 5.5GHz, and I could still see micro stutters. Honestly I do not think you can eliminate those real fine micro-stuters on anything.I can tell you that SB alone will not do it.
Perhaps unwittingly :smile: , I think Gary hit the nail on the head here. A poorly configured FSX install will stutter no matter what hardware you have. In fact, an over-clocked Sandy Bridge could make stutters even worse vs a Core 2 Duo with similar stutter issues. My point: A socket 775 and Sandy Bridge can both run FSX "micro" stutter free. You just need to know where to look and what to look for.While I DO highly recommend Nick's set-up guide for Win7, I do have reservations about his FSX setup guide for users of highly over-clocked Sandy Bridges. My recommendation: Use *******'s setup utility for FSX. Oh, and most certainly, do search the Avsim forums for "micro" stutters as your solution is not likely to be found here in the hardware forum. Hint: ******* is a documented freak on the subject of 'stutters' ...

You don't need to use the 4 GBy patch for SP2/Acceleration (but you still to configure Windows to allocate more than 2GBy to FSX).Cheers,- jahman.
Do you mean the userva? that's not really necessary, his OS is a 64 bit one :biggrin:

Perhaps unwittingly :smile: , I think Gary hit the nail on the head here. A poorly configured FSX install will stutter no matter what hardware you have. In fact, an over-clocked Sandy Bridge could make stutters even worse vs a Core 2 Duo with similar stutter issues. My point: A socket 775 and Sandy Bridge can both run FSX "micro" stutter free. You just need to know where to look and what to look for.While I DO highly recommend Nick's set-up guide for Win7, I do have reservations about his FSX setup guide for users of highly over-clocked Sandy Bridges. My recommendation: Use *******'s setup utility for FSX. Oh, and most certainly, do search the Avsim forums for "micro" stutters as your solution is not likely to be found here in the hardware forum. Hint: ******* is a documented freak on the subject of 'stutters' ...
Hi Ken, I just wanted to say that I have tuned to Nick's and *******'s tweaks on several hardware and software configurations over several years. My flights are what I would call smooth, but being discerning, I do detect micro-stutters. This under weather (ASE), PMDG-MD11, Cloud9, GEX, UTX, FEX and Genesis while coming into Toronto with Nick's scenery settings. Since I have experienced these stutters always under all mentioned configurations, I suspect something inherent to one of those products and or to FSX itself.Since hardware, software configurations vary, as does human sight and perception, I am always highly suspect when I hear/read these stutters do not exist on others systems if operated under identical circumstance (MD-11, 190kts, 3,000ft on approach to CYYZ, 3D view, look out the left window and watch the ground). . Maybe my eyeballs are vibrating; I am after all not getting any younger. :Nail Biting:

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Hi Ken, I just wanted to say that I have tuned to Nick's and *******'s tweaks on several hardware and software configurations over several years. My flights are what I would call smooth, but being discerning, I do detect micro-stutters. This under weather (ASE), PMDG-MD11, Cloud9, GEX, UTX, FEX and Genesis while coming into Toronto with Nick's scenery settings. Since I have experienced these stutters always under all mentioned configurations, I suspect something inherent to one of those products and or to FSX itself.Since hardware, software configurations vary, as does human sight and perception, I am always highly suspect when I hear/read these stutters do not exist on others systems if operated under identical circumstance (MD-11, 190kts, 3,000ft on approach to CYYZ, 3D view, look out the left window and watch the ground). . Maybe my eyeballs are vibrating; I am after all not getting any younger. :Nail Biting:
Ah, I see your point. And yes, with all those things running I'm probably not going to get water-in-motion smoothness with any hardware. My point: if one desires the truly spectacular sensation of water-in-motion smoothness then he/she is going to have to consider 'software' compromises -*******, helps us in this regard. ....I suppose higher end hardware gives us the extra headroom to maybe sneak in an extra goodie or two, but it's really about getting the software to gel with your hardware not the other way around.

I found it, well with my system anyway. I set the FSX rate to be limited to 30 and the stutters are gone. I guess setting unlimited and using an external frame limiter did more harms than good on my setup. I flipped back to the old setting just to check, and sure enough the stutters showed up. Even re-running FSXMark11 is much smoother now. Next year is my scheduled HW upgrade, so I will expect better performance. I believe the swing in FPS using unlimited is the culprit. When using FSX frame limit, the FPS hardly changes at all, which is why the I saw the sim runs much more smooth.Thanks all.Vu

Vu Pham

The wrong bufferpools setting affects FSX. I have to set mine really low BP=3000 in order to achieve the smoothest sim and highest fps.I still have to lock the fps with the external limiter. I really need all the additional fps I can get and locking fps in fsx decreases fps from 5-10 fps.I'm not saying that one should focus on fps, the key "smoothness." This is the result of properly configured hardware, FSX tuning, and some tweaking.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest PFL

What about update services running in the background?Antivirus, Java, Google, Adobe, Malwarebytes, Trojan remover, SpyBot, etc. etc.I found something over at forum.notebookreview - (I have a laptop Asus G73JH) - interesting read..."Tip for AMD GPU users for stutter/lag" http://forum.noteboo...tutter-lag.html