Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Keep FSX fullscreen on one monitor, run utilities on other monitor

Hi all,I just finished my new build and in the process of selling my old computer- the monitor however is probably going to remain with me as most want a widescreen. In any case, it is now sitting on my desk next to my new widescreen (pictured). Is there any way I can run FSX fullscreen (for performance reasons) on the larger monitor, and run utilities (such as Jeppview, viewing weather, TOPCAT, flightplanning software) on my smaller monitor, without the need to go back and fourth, or use windowed mode? Is there a special utility I'd have to purchase?I'm running both monitors off of a single GTX 580 card, and Windows 7, 64bit- using the "expand desktop" option.Any help would be appreciated.-Brendan

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Sorry, forgot to post the pic!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi all,I just finished my new build and in the process of selling my old computer- the monitor however is probably going to remain with me as most want a widescreen. In any case, it is now sitting on my desk next to my new widescreen (pictured). Is there any way I can run FSX fullscreen (for performance reasons) on the larger monitor, and run utilities (such as Jeppview, viewing weather, TOPCAT, flightplanning software) on my smaller monitor, without the need to go back and fourth, or use windowed mode? Is there a special utility I'd have to purchase?I'm running both monitors off of a single GTX 580 card, and Windows 7, 64bit- using the "expand desktop" option.Any help would be appreciated.-Brendan
Brendan,I too am contemplating this... trying to run the Electronic Flight Bag software and FSX on one monitor is painful at best. I am going to buy a second hand 19 or 20 inch monitor to run something similar to what you want. Be interested also to see if any other have done it successfully. Guess it depends upon the video card and its software? hard to say.

David Stewart, Dianella, Western Australia.

New PC coming one day! | In the meantime I fly with; AMD X64 1.2Ghz Dual Core | 6Gb Ram | 6600GT | Old case | FSX | REX | Superbug FA-18F | Capt Sim 767 | ORBX Aust Scenery |

Jandakot | PC12 & numerous others.

Why sell the second computer? It's perfect for running TOPCAT,flightplanning software, Active Sky etc while being networked to your main FS PC.The major bonus is it will free up CPU cycles on your FS machine.

Rob Prest

I have not been able to get a second monitor to work with the primary screen in fullscreen mode for a long time.I would also recommend keeping a second machine handy for ancillary programs like WX, ATC, EFB etc--running these support apps distributed over a network has lots of advantages.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Folks, there is a perfect (and free solution) for this:FSSimtimizerIf you don't speak german, use Google translate. What this tool does is basically let FSX run in a borderless window (using ALT-TAB). This way, your second monitor remains useable. Best of all: This is very framerate friendly. I highly recommend this tool, I am using it myself.

..user manual is in German as well .... any idea how this thing is working sleep.gifusing TH2go on 3 22' monitors, trying to utilize a 15" with lower resolution on a full screen mod, it doesn't work ...

See the thread below, ignore the very first post but download Auto hotkey as mentioned in the second post and also download the file linked to in the second post too, it works brilliantly.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/338008-script-running-fullscreen-windowed-help/

Cheers, Andy.

....sorry, but, I'm totaly lost, I downloded FS-SIMtimizer, I see the icon on the taskbarI downloded and run AutoHotkey. I see it on the taskbar tooI got the fullscreen.ahk file now what Thinking.gifYair

Double click on the fullscreen.ahi file as if you were to launch it and you will have another icon on your task bar with a H on it. Then launch FSX and when you are loaded to the cockpit press the Win key and F11 at the same time to get to fullscreen, hit the same combo again to return the window to normal.And get rid of the other program FS-Womaniser or whatever it's called, it's not needed for this Auto hotkey method.

Cheers, Andy.

I downloaded the Autohotkey_L version, I don't know if it makes any difference or not.

Cheers, Andy.

I just tried this and it did not work.

When having my main FSX window selected (on my main monitor) it does not seem to do anyting.

When running it on the second window (my monitor to the right), it gives an error that it could not resize the window.